Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Dr Kate Walters
My main research interests are in ageing, primary care epidemiology and trials of complex interventions in primary care and community settings. This includes both epidemiological studies and complex interventions in the fields of health and well-being for older people, disease risk/prevention, mental health and health inequalities. Many of these studies involve the analysis of routinely collected primary health care data. Current examples include developing and testing complex interventions to promote well-being in later life in primary care and community settings (funded by MRC LLHW and the NIHR), an NIHR Programme grant to develop and test assertive management of cardio-vascular disease risk in people with severe mental illnesses and I am the UCL lead for the 'Ageing Well' programme in the NIHR School of Public Health Research. I am a clinical adviser for the NIHR Research Design Service London and the Royal College of General Practitioners, and a Trialist with PRIMENT UK-CRC Registered Clinical Trials Unit, which specialises in trials of complex interventions in primary care and mental health settings. In addition to my research I am a practicing General Practitioner in North London.
- Interface between physical health and mental health
- Primary care epidemiology
- mental health
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Dhiman P,Kai J,Horsfall L,Walters K,Qureshi N (2014) Availability and quality of coronary heart disease family history in primary care medical records: implications for cardiovascular risk assessment. PLoS One, 9(1), e81998. 10.1371/journal.pone.0081998.
- Horsfall L,Walters K,Petersen I (2013) Identifying periods of acceptable computer usage in primary care research databases. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 22(1), 64 - 69. 10.1002/pds.3368.
- Horsfall L,Petersen I,Walters K,Schrag A (2013) Time trends in incidence of Parkinson's disease diagnosis in UK primary care. Journal of neurology, 260(5), 1351 - 1357.
- Osborn DPJ,Limburg H,Walters K,Petersen I,King M,Green J,Watson J,Nazareth I (2013) Relative incidence of common cancers in people with severe mental illness. Cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN primary care database Schizophrenia Research, 143(1), 44 - 49.
- Khadjesari Z,Marston L,Petersen I,Nazareth I,Walters K (2013) Alcohol consumption screening of newly-registered patients in primary care: a cross-sectional analysis British Journal of General Practice, 63(615), e706 - e712. 10.3399/bjgp13X673720.
- Bennett M,Walters K,Buszewicz M,Drennan V (2013) Structured Pro-Active Care for Chronic Depression by Practice Nurses in Primary Care: A Qualitative Evaluation PLoS ONE, 8(9). 10.1371/journal.pone.0075810.
- Eastwood SV,Rait G,Bhattacharyya M,Nair DR,Walters K (2013) Cardiovascular risk assessment of South Asian populations in religious and community settings: a qualitative study. Fam Pract, 30(4), 466 - 472. 10.1093/fampra/cmt017.
- Bhattacharyya M,Marston L,Walters K,D'Costa G,King M,Nazareth I (2013) Psychological distress, gender and dietary factors in South Asians: a cross-sectional survey. Public Health Nutr, 1 - 9. 10.1017/S136898001300147X.
- Walters K,Kharicha K,Iliffe S,Goodman C,Handley M,Manthorpe J,Cattan M,Morris S (2013) Promoting health and wellbeing for older people in primary care: a feasibility study LANCET, 382, 99 - 99.
- Hardoon S,Hayes JF,Blackburn R,Petersen I,Walters K,Nazareth I,Osborn DPJ (2013) Recording of Severe Mental Illness in United Kingdom Primary Care, 2000-2010 PLoS One.
- Freemantle N,Marston L,Walters KR,Wood J,Reynolds M,Petersen I (2013) Making inferences on treatment effects from Real World data? Propensity Scores, Confounding by Indication and other Perils for the Unwary in Observational Research. BMJ: British Medical Journal.
- Hassiotis A,Osborn D,Horsfall L,Petersen I,Walters K,Nazareth I (2012) Access to cancer screening in people with learning disabilities in the UK using a primary care database JOURNAL OF INTELLECTUAL DISABILITY RESEARCH, 56(7-8), 763 - 763.
- Bedson J,Belcher J,Martino O,Ndlovu M,Rathod T,Walters K,Dunn K,Jordan K (2012) The effectiveness of national guidance on analgesic prescribing in primary care from 2002 to 2009: an observational database study. Eur J Pain. 10.1002/j.1532-2149.2012.00189.x.
- Horsfall L,Petersen I,Walters K,Schrag A (2012) Time trends in incidence of Parkinson's disease diagnosis in UK primary care Journal of Neurology, 1 - 7. 10.1007/s00415-012-6804-z.
- Langan SM,Petersen I,Benchimol EI,Smeeth L,Moher D,Stanley F,Sorensen HT,Guttmann A,Walters K,Thomas S,Douglas I,Horsfall L,Von Elm E (2012) Reporting of Studies Conducted Using Observational Routinely-Collected Data (RECORD) Initiative PHARMACOEPIDEMIOLOGY AND DRUG SAFETY, 21, 334 - 335.
- Welch C,Petersen I,Walters K,Morris RW,Nazareth I,Marston L,Kalaitzaki E,White IR,Carpenter J (2012) Two-stage method to remove population- and individual-level outliers from longitudinal data in a primary care database Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 21(7), 725 - 732. 10.1002/pds.2270.
- Welch C,Petersen I,Walters K,Morris RW,Nazareth I,Kalaitzaki E,White IR,Marston L,Carpenter J (2012) Two-stage method to remove population- and individual-level outliers from longitudinal data in a primary care database. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 21(7), 725 - 732. 10.1002/pds.2270.
- Rao N,Eastwood SV,Jain A,Shah M,Leurent B,Harvey D,Robertson L,Walters K,Persaud JW,Mikhailidis DP,Nair DR (2012) Cardiovascular risk assessment of South Asians in a religious setting: a feasibility study. Int J Clin Pract, 66(3), 262 - 269. 10.1111/j.1742-1241.2011.02773.x.
- Prah P,Petersen I,Nazareth I,Walters K,Osborn D (2012) National changes in oral antipsychotic treatment for people with schizophrenia in primary care between 1998 and 2007 in the United Kingdom. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 21(2), 161 - 169. 10.1002/pds.2213.
- Rao N,Jain A,Harvey D,Robertson L,Persaud JW,Nair DR,Eastwood SV,Walters K,Shah M,Leurent B,Mikhailidis DP (2012) Cardiovascular risk assessment of South Asians in a religious setting: A feasibility study International Journal of Clinical Practice, 66(3), 262 - 269. 10.1111/j.1742-1241.2011.02773.x.
- Howman M,Walters K,Rosenthal J,Good M,Buszewicz M (2012) Teaching about medically unexplained symptoms at medical schools in the United Kingdom. Med Teach, 34(4), 327 - 329. 10.3109/0142159X.2012.660219.
- Walters K,Rait G,Hardoon S,Kalaitzaki E,Petersen I,Nazareth I (2012) Socio-demographic variation in chest pain incidence and subsequent coronary heart disease in primary care in the United Kingdom. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 10.1177/2047487312449415.
- Osborn DPJ,Horsfall L,Hassiotis A,Petersen I,Walters K,Nazareth I (2012) Access to Cancer Screening in People with Learning Disabilities in the UK: Cohort Study in the Health Improvement Network, a Primary Care Research Database PLOS ONE, 7(8). 10.1371/journal.pone.0043841.
- Walters KR,Rait G,Griffin M,Buszewicz M,Nazareth I (2012) Incidence of anxiety diagnoses and symptoms recorded in primary care. PLoS One, 7(8). 10.1371/journal.pone.0041670.
- McMahon EM,Buszewicz M,Griffin M,Beecham J,Bonin EM,Rost F,Walters K,King M (2012) Chronic and recurrent depression in primary care: socio-demographic features, morbidity, and costs. Int J Family Med, 2012, 316409. 10.1155/2012/316409.
- Petersen I,Carpenter J,Welch C,Walters K,Morris R,White I,Marston L,Nazareth I (2011) Missing Data Imputation in Electronic Health Databases: Development of a Longitudinal Model for Cardiovascular Risk Factors PHARMACOEPIDEM DR S, 20, S231 - S232.
- Walters K,Buszewicz M,Weich S,King M (2011) Outcomes of mixed anxiety and depressive disorder in primary care: a cohort study British Journal of Psychiatry, 198, 1 - 7. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.085092.
- Osborn DPJ,Baio G,Raine R,Walters K,Petersen I,Limburg H,Nazareth I (2011) Inequalities in the provision of cardiovascular screening to people with severe mental illnesses in primary care. Cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN Primary Care Database 2000-2007. Schizophrenia Research, 129(2-3), 104 - 110. 10.1016/j.schres.2011.04.003.
- Horsfall LJ,Rait G,Walters K,Swallow DM,Pereira SP,Nazareth I,Petersen I (2011) Serum bilirubin and risk of respiratory disease and death. JAMA, 305(7), 691 - 697. 10.1001/jama.2011.124.
- Hayes J,Prah P,Nazareth I,King M,Walters K,Petersen I,Osborn D (2011) Prescribing trends in bipolar disorder: cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN primary care database 1995-2009. PLoS One, 6(12), e28725. 10.1371/journal.pone.0028725.
- Carpenter J,Petersen I,Welch C,Bartlett J,Walters K,Morris R,White I,Marston L,Nazareth I (2011) Multiple Imputation for Missing Data in Electronic Health Databases: Practical Issues and Some Solutions PHARMACOEPIDEM DR S, 20, S163 - S163.
- Osborn D,BAIO G,Walters K,Petersen I,Limburg H,Raine R,Nazareth I (2011) Inequalities in the provision of cardiovascular screening to people with severe mental illnesses in primary care. Cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN Primary Care Database 2000- 2007 Schizophrenia Research. 10.1016/j.schres.2011.04.003.
- Rait G,Nazareth I,Walters K,Bottomley C,Petersen I,Iliffe S (2010) Survival of people with clinical diagnosis of dementia in primary care: Cohort study BMJ (Online), 341(7768), 337 - 337. 10.1136/bmj.c3584.
- McBride D,Raine R,Hardoon S,Walters K,Gilmour S (2010) Explaining variation in referral from primary to secondary care: Cohort study BMJ (Online), 341(7784), 1206 - 1206. 10.1136/bmj.c6267.
- Marston L,Carpenter JR,Walters KR,Morris RW,Nazareth I,Petersen I (2010) Issues in multiple imputation of missing data for large general practice clinical databases. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 19(6), 618 - 626. 10.1002/pds.1934.
- McBride D,Hardoon S,Walters K,Gilmour S,Raine R (2010) Explaining variation in referral from primary to secondary care: cohort study. BMJ, 341, c6267. 10.1136/bmj.c6267.
- Rait G,Walters K,Griffin M,Buszewicz M,Petersen I,Nazareth I (2009) Recent trends in the incidence of recorded depression in primary care British Journal of Psychiatry, 195(6), 520 - 524. 10.1192/bjp.bp.108.058636.
- Morris R,Petersen I,Marston L,Walters K,Carpenter J,Nazareth I (2009) QRISK validation and evaluation. Bespoke cohort studies needed BMJ, 339, b3512. 10.1136/bmj.b3512.
- Walters K,Buszewicz M,Weich S,King M (2008) Help-seeking preferences for psychological distress in primary care: effect of current mental state British Journal of General Practice, 58(555), 694 - 698. 10.3399/bjgp08X342174.
- Walters K,Rait G,Petersen I,Williams R,Nazareth I (2008) Panic disorder and risk of new onset coronary heart disease, acute myocardial infarction, and cardiac mortality: cohort study using the general practice research database European Heart Journal, 29(24), 2981 - 2988. 10.1093/eurheartj/ehn477.
- Drennan V,Walters K,Lenihan P,Cohen S,Myerson S,Iliffe SFTSPICERG (2007) Priorities in identifying unmet need in older people attending general practice: a nominal group technique study Family Practice, 24(5), 454 - 460. 10.1093/fampra/cmm034.
- Wilcock J,Iliffe S,Austin T,Walters K,Rait G,Turner S,Bryans M,Downs M (2007) Differential effectiveness of traditional and electronic educational interventions in influencing concordance with clinical guidelines..
- Walters K,Raven PW,Rosenthal J,Russell J,Humphrey C,Buszewicz M (2007) Teaching undergraduate psychiatry in primary care: the impact on student learning and attitudes Medical Education, 41(1), 100 - 108. 10.1111/j.1365-2929.2006.02653.x.
- Walters K,Osborn D,Raven PW (2005) The development, validity and reliability of a multimodality objective structured clinical examination in psychiatry Medical Education, 39(3), 292 - 298. 10.1111/j.1365-2929.2005.02091.x.
- Iliffe S,Lenihan P,Orrell M,Walters K,Drennan V,See Tai SSPICERT (2004) The development of a short instrument to identify common unmet needs in older people in general practice British Journal of General Practice, 54(509), 914 - 918.
- Walters K,Breeze E,Wilkinson P,Price GM,Bulpitt CJ,Fletcher A (2004) Local area deprivation and urban-rural differences in anxiety and depression among people older than 75 years in Britain American Journal of Public Health, 94(10), 1768 - 1774.
- Walters K,Iliffe S (2003) CANE in primary care settings: its feasibility and utility as a research and clinical tool..
- Walters K,Buszewicz MJ,Russell J,Humphrey C (2003) Teaching as therapy: cross sectional and qualitative evaluation of patients' experiences of undergraduate psychiatry teaching in the community BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 326(7392), 740 - 743. 10.1136/bmj.326.7392.740.
- Hartley S,Gill D,Carter F,Walters K,Bryant P (2003) Teaching medical students in primary and secondary care: a resource book.
- Wilcock J,Iliffe S,Walters K,Rait G,Austin T,Turner S,Bryans M,Downs M,O'Carroll R,Keady J (2003) The Development of an Evidence-based Curriculum for Dementia Care Training in General Practice Education and Ageing, 17(2/3), 217 - 236.
- 2009: Doctor of Philosophy, University College London
- 2002: Master of Science, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- 2001: Master of Medicine, University of Dundee
- 1997: Member of the Royal College of General Practioners, Royal College of General Practioners
- 1992: Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery, University of Nottingham
- 1990: Bachelor of Medical Science, University of Nottingham
- Alzheimer's disease
- Anxiety disorders
- Clinical Research
- Clinical trials
- Coronary disease
- Depressive disorders
- Epidemiology research
- Health care inequalities
- Ischaemic heart disease