Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Ivan Gout
Fax:020 7679 7193
Appointments:Professor of Cancer Biochemistry, Structural & Molecular Biology, Div of Biosciences
I graduated as an MD at Lviv Medical University (Ukraine) in 1983 with a great passion to become a surgeon in oncology. Thinking that a PhD in experimental oncology would help to realise my dream, I obtained my doctorate at the Institute of Experimental Oncology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine in 1987. A fellowship from the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) took me even further from clinical oncology and also from the Ukraine. I arrived in London on the first wave of perestroika and began my post-doctoral training in Jim Woodgett's laboratory at the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research (UCL Branch). Subsequently I worked in Mike Waterfield's laboratory at the same Institute studying signal transduction via the PI3 kinase pathway. In 1998, I started my own group at the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, focussing on the regulation of growth via the S6 kinase pathway. Since 2003, I have been a Professor in this Department, where I have an active research group working on signal transduction via the mTOR/S6K pathway in normal and cancer cells. Since 1998, I have also managed a laboratory (jointly with Prof. V. Filonenko) at the Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics in Ukraine, which is affiliated to the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research through the Kerr Programme. My current research interests are in the regulation of cell growth and metabolism in normal and cancer cells. We focus mainly on: a) elucidation of cell growth, metabolism and proliferation via the mTOR/S6K pathway; b) the role of Coenzyme A and its derivatives in cellular metabolism and gene expression. In collaboration with academic and industrial partners, we pursue the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic approaches for cancer. Research Interest The main focus of our research is the study of basic mechanisms by which cell growth and metabolism are regulated in normal and cancer cells. There are two major areas of interest in the laboratory: a) regulation of cell growth, metabolism and proliferation via the mTOR/S6K pathway; b) the role of Coenzyme A and its derivatives in cellular metabolism and gene expression. The development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic approaches for cancer is the ultimate goal of our research, which we pursue through collaboration with academic and industrial partners. a) Regulation of cell growth, metabolism and proliferation via mTOR/S6K pathway Molecular cloning of the second isoform of S6 kinase, which we termed S6K? or S6K2, was a cornerstone for establishing an independent research platform that further extended into signalling via the mTOR pathway. The mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin) is a central regulator of an evolutionary conserved signalling pathway which controls cellular metabolism, growth and proliferation. These functions are mediated through the formation of multienzyme complexes and the phosphorylation of key signalling molecules, such as protein kinases S6K and PKB/Akt, and a negative regulator of translation, 4E-BP1. Deregulation of mTOR-coordinated signalling has been associated with various human pathologies, including diabetes, inflammation and cancer. Rapamycin, a naturally occurring mTOR inhibitor, and its homologues are currently being tested as anti-cancer drugs in numerous clinical trials. The mechanisms by which the mTOR/S6K pathway controls energy metabolism, cell growth and proliferation are studied in the lab at the biochemical, cellular and organism level. To elucidate downstream signalling from S6K1 and S6K2, we employ DNA microarrays, siRNA knockdowns, yeast two hybrid screening and affinity purification followed by mass spectrometry. Using these approaches we have identified a panel of novel S6K binding partners/substrates, which link S6K to the regulation of cellular metabolism and transcription.
- Cell signalling through phospholipases, kinases and G-proteins during differentiation and secretion.
- Cellular mechanisms underlying neurodegeneration
- Effect of Tumour Biology on Therapeutic Response
- Genetics of ageing and age-related disease in Caenorhabditis elegans
- Regulation of growth and energy metabolism via the mTOR/S6K pathway in normal and cancer cells
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Ismail HM,Myronova O,Tsuchiya Y,Niewiarowski A,Tsaneva I,Gout I (2013) Identification of the general transcription factor Yin Yang 1 as a novel and specific binding partner for S6 kinase 2. Cell Signal, 25(5), 1054 - 1063. 10.1016/j.cellsig.2013.02.002.
- Fenton TR,Gout IT (2011) Functions and regulation of the 70kDa ribosomal S6 kinases. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 43(1), 47 - 59. 10.1016/j.biocel.2010.09.018.
- Fenton TR,Gout IT (2011) Functions and regulation of the 70 kDa ribosomal S6 kinases INT J BIOCHEM CELL B, 43(1), 47 - 59. 10.1016/j.bioce1.2010.09.018.
- Goh ET,Pardo OE,Michael N,Niewiarowski A,Totty N,Volkova D,Tsaneva IR,Seckl MJ,Gout I (2010) Involvement of heterogeneous ribonucleoprotein F in the regulation of cell proliferation via the mammalian target of rapamycin/S6 kinase 2 pathway J.Biol.Chem., 285(22), 17065 - 17076.
- Fenton TR,Gwalter J,Cramer R,Gout IT (2010) S6K1 is acetylated at lysine 516 in response to growth factor stimulation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 398(3), 400 - 405. 10.1016/j.bbrc.2010.06.081.
- Gnjatic S,Cao Y,Reichelt U,Yekebas EF,Nolker C,Marx AH,Erbersdobler A,Nishikawa H,Hildebrandt Y,Bartels K,Horn C,Stahl T,Gout I,Filonenko V,Ling KL,Cerundolo V,Luetkens T,Ritter G,Friedrichs K,Leuwer R,Hegewisch-Becker S,Izbicki JR,Bokemeyer C,Old LJ,Atanackovic D (2010) NY-CO-58/KIF2C is overexpressed in a variety of solid tumors and induces frequent T cell responses in patients with colorectal cancer Int.J.Cancer, 127(2), 381 - 393.
- Fenton TR,Gwalter J,Ericsson J,Gout IT (2010) Histone acetyltransferases interact with and acetylate p70 ribosomal S6 kinases in vitro and in vivo. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 42(2), 359 - 366. 10.1016/j.biocel.2009.11.022.
- Gorbenko O,Panayotou G,Zhyvoloup A,Volkova D,Gout I,Filonenko V (2010) Identification of novel PTEN-binding partners: PTEN interaction with fatty acid binding protein FABP4 Mol.Cell Biochem., 337(1-2), 299 - 305.
- Breus O,Panasyuk G,Gout IT,Filonenko V,Nemazanyy I (2010) CoA Synthase is phosphorylated on tyrosines in mammalian cells, interacts with and is dephosphorylated by Shp2PTP. Mol Cell Biochem, 335(1-2), 195 - 202. 10.1007/s11010-009-0255-6.
- Kiyamova R,Kostianets O,Malyuchik S,Filonenko V,Usenko V,Gurtovyy V,Khozayenko Y,Antonuk S,Old L,Gout I (2010) Identification of Tumor-Associated Antigens from Medullary Breast Carcinoma by a Modified SEREX Approach Mol.Biotechnol..
- Hurd PJ,Bannister AJ,Halls K,Dawson MA,Vermeulen M,Olsen JV,Ismail H,Somers J,Mann M,Owen-Hughes T,Gout I,Kouzarides T (2009) Phosphorylation of histone H3 Thr-45 is linked to apoptosis J.Biol.Chem., 284(24), 16575 - 16583.
- Kovaleva V,Kiyamova R,Cramer R,Krynytskyy H,Gout I,Filonenko V,Gout R (2009) Purification and molecular cloning of antimicrobial peptides from Scots pine seedlings Peptides, 30(12), 2136 - 2143.
- Gryshkova V,Goncharuk I,Gurtovyy V,Khozhayenko Y,Nespryadko S,Vorobjova L,Usenko V,Gout I,Filonenko V,Kiyamova R (2009) The study of phosphate transporter NAPI2B expression in different histological types of epithelial ovarian cancer Exp.Oncol., 31(1), 37 - 42.
- Gwalter J,Wang ML,Gout I (2009) The ubiquitination of ribosomal S6 kinases is independent from the mitogen-induced phosphorylation/activation of the kinase Int.J.Biochem.Cell Biol., 41(4), 828 - 833.
- Presneau N,Shalaby A,Idowu B,Gikas P,Cannon SR,Gout I,Diss T,Tirabosco R,Flanagan AM (2009) Potential therapeutic targets for chordoma: PI3K/AKT/TSC1/TSC2/mTOR pathway Br.J.Cancer, 100(9), 1406 - 1414.
- Gorbenko O,Ovcharenko G,Volkova D,Mayilo D,Gaman N,Khozhayenko Y,Usenko V,Gout I,Filonenko V (2009) Monoclonal antibodies with selective specificity towards different glycosylation isoforms of FGFR1 Hybridoma (Larchmt.), 28(4), 287 - 293.
- Gorbenko O,Ovcharenko G,Klymenko T,Zhyvoloup O,Gaman N,Volkova D,Gout I,Filonenko V (2009) Generation of monoclonal antibody targeting fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 Hybridoma (Larchmt.), 28(4), 295 - 300.
- Breus O,Panasyuk G,Gout IT,Filonenko V,Nemazanyy I (2009) CoA synthase is in complex with p85alphaPI3K and affects PI3K signaling pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 385(4), 581 - 585. 10.1016/j.bbrc.2009.05.102.
- Panasyuk G,Nemazanyy I,Zhyvoloup A,Filonenko V,Davies D,Robson M,Pedley RB,Waterfield M,Gout I (2009) mTORbeta splicing isoform promotes cell proliferation and tumorigenesis J.Biol.Chem., 284(45), 30807 - 30814.
- Kiyamova R,Gryshkova V,Ovcharenko G,Lituyev D,Malyuchik S,Usenko V,Khozhayenko Y,Gurtovyy V,Yin B,Ritter G,Old L,Filonenko V,Gout I (2008) Development of monoclonal antibodies specific for the human sodium-dependent phosphate co-transporter NaPi2b Hybridoma (Larchmt.), 27(4), 277 - 284.
- Yin BW,Kiyamova R,Chua R,Caballero OL,Gout I,Gryshkova V,Bhaskaran N,Souchelnytskyi S,Hellman U,Filonenko V,Jungbluth AA,Odunsi K,Lloyd KO,Old LJ,Ritter G (2008) Monoclonal antibody MX35 detects the membrane transporter NaPi2b (SLC34A2) in human carcinomas Cancer Immun., 8, 3.
- Panasyuk G,Nemazanyy I,Filonenko V,Gout I (2008) Ribosomal protein S6 kinase 1 interacts with and is ubiquitinated by ubiquitin ligase ROC1 Biochem.Biophys.Res.Commun., 369(2), 339 - 343.
- Nemazanyy I,Breus O,Gout I,Filonenko V,Panasyuk G (2008) Generation and characterization of monoclonal antibodies to mTOR kinase Hybridoma (Larchmt.), 27(5), 395 - 399.
- Wang ML,Panasyuk G,Gwalter J,Nemazanyy I,Fenton T,Filonenko V,Gout I (2008) Regulation of ribosomal protein S6 kinases by ubiquitination Biochem.Biophys.Res.Commun., 369(2), 382 - 387.
- Malanchuk O,Palchevskyy S,Ovcharenko G,Gwalter J,Pozur V,Gout I,Filonenko V (2007) Generation and characterization of monoclonal antibodies against tuberous sclerosis complex 2 Hybridoma (Larchmt.), 26(4), 259 - 266.
- Jager D,Filonenko V,Gout I,Frosina D,Eastlake-Wade S,Castelli S,Varga Z,Moch H,Chen YT,Busam KJ,Seil I,Old LJ,Nissan A,Frei C,Gure AO,Knuth A,Jungbluth AA (2007) NY-BR-1 is a differentiation antigen of the mammary gland Appl.Immunohistochem.Mol.Morphol., 15(1), 77 - 83.
- Seckl MJ,Pardo OE,Sebire N,Bowen F,Gout I,Marias R,Downward J (2007) A novel complex comprising BRaf, PKC epsilon and S6K2 mediates the pro-survival effects of FGF-2 in small cell lung cancer cells Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting, 48, 600. 10.1038/sj.emboj.7601198.
- Panasyuk G,Nemazanyy I,Zhyvoloup A,Bretner M,Litchfield D,Filonenko V,Gout I (2006) Nuclear export of S6K1 II is regulated by protein kinase CK2 phosphorylation at ser 17. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 281(42), 31188 - 31201. 10.1074/jbc.M602618200.
- Nemazanyy I,Panasyuk G,Breus O,Zhyvoloup A,Filonenko V,Gout IT (2006) Identification of a novel CoA synthase isoform, which is primarily expressed in the brain Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 341(4), 995 - 1000..
- Gorbenko O,Filonenko V,Gout I (2006) Generation and characterization of monoclonal antibodies against FABP4 Hybridoma, 25(2), 86 - 90. 10.1089/hyb.2006.25.86.
- Proto-Siqueira R,Figueiredo-Pontes LL,Panepucci RA,Garcia AB,Rizzatti EG,Nascimento FM,Ishikawa HC,Larson RE,Falcao RP,Simpson AJ,Gout I,Filonenko V,Rego EM,Zago MA (2006) PRAME is a membrane and cytoplasmic protein aberrantly expressed in chronic lymphocytic leukemia and mantle cell lymphoma. Leukemia Research, 30(11), 1333 - 1339.
- Rebholz H,Panasyuk G,Fenton T,Nemazanyy I,Valovka T,Flajolet M,Ronnstrand L,Stephens L,West A,Gout IT (2006) Receptor association and tyrosine phosphorylation of S6 kinases Federation of European Biochemical Societies Letters, 273(9), 2023 - 2036. 10.1111/j.1742-4658.2006.05219.x.
- Pardo OE,Wellbrock C,Khanzada UK,Aubert M,Arozarena I,Davidson S,Bowen F,Parker PJ,Filonenko VV,Gout IT,Sebire N,Marais R,Downward J,Seckl MJ (2006) FGF-2 protects small cell lung cancer cells from apoptosis through a complex involving PKCepsilon, B-Raf and S6K2 The EMBO Journal, 25(13), 3078 - 3088. 10.1038/sj.emboj.7601198.
- Gout EA (2006) Regulation of S6 Kinase protein kinase 2 and related methods, 1 - 45.
- Lyzogubov VV,Usenko VS,Gurtovy VA,Nemazanyy IO,Gout IT,Filonenko VV (2005) Immunohistochemical localization of Coenzyme A synthase in normal rat tissues FEBS JOURNAL, 272, 238 - 238.
- Malanchuk OM,Pozur V,Panasyuk GG,Nemazanyy IO,Filonenko VV,Gout IT,Palchevskyy SS (2005) Identification of novel binding partners for tuberous sclerosis complex 2 (TSC2) by yeast two-hybrid approach. Experimental Oncology, 27(3), 186 - 190.
- Panasyuk G,Nemazanyy I,Ovcharenko G,Lyzogubov V,Gout I,Filonenko V (2005) Generation and characterization of monoclonal antibodies to protein kinase 2 (CK2) beta subunit. Hybridoma (Larchmt)., 24(4), 206 - 210.
- de Figueiredo-Pontes LL,do Nascimento FM,Lima RSDE,Proto-Siqueira R,Garcia AB,Matos DM,Gout IT,Filonenko VV,Zago MA,Falcao RP,Rego EM (2005) Analysis of PRAME protein expression in normal lymphoid tissues and during B ontogenesis. BLOOD, 106(11), 61B - 61B.
- Filonenko VV,Tytarenko R,Azatjan SK,Savinska LO,Gaydar YA,Gout IT,Usenko VS,Lyzogubov VV (2004) Immunohistochemical analysis of S6K1 and S6K2 localization in human breast tumors. Experimental Oncology, 26(4), 294 - 299.
- Gorbenko O,Kuznetsov V,Kukharenko O,Zhyvoloup A,Panasyuk G,Nemazanyy I,Filonenko V,Gout I (2004) Identification of a novel binding partners for tumor suppressor PTEN by a yeast two-hybrid approach. Experimental Oncology, 26(1), 15 - 19.
- Harrington LS,Findlay GM,Gray A,Tolkacheva T,Wigfield S,Rebholz H,Barnett J,Leslie NR,Cheng S,Shepherd PR,Gout I,Downes CP,Lamb RF (2004) The TSC1-2 tumor suppressor controls insulin-PI3K signaling via regulation of IRS proteins. The Journal of Cell Biology, 166(2), 213 - 223.
- Lyzogubov VV,Lytvyn DI,Dudchenko TM,Lubchenko NV,Pogrybniy PV,Nespryadko SV,Vinnitska AB,Usenko VS,Gout IT,Filonenko VV (2004) Immunohistochemical analysis of S6K1 and S6K2 expression in endometrial adenocarcinomas. Exp Oncol, 26(4), 287 - 293.
- Azatyan S,Lyzogubov VV,Tytarenko RG,Savinska LO,Gaydar YA,Gout IT,Filonenko VV,Usenko VS (2004) Immunohistochemical study of P70 S6 kinase protein overexpression in human malignant breast tumors ANN ONCOL, 15, 21 - 21.
- Savinska LO,Lyzogubov VV,Usenko VS,Ovcharenko GV,Gorbenko ON,Rodnin MV,Vudmaska MI,Pogribniy PV,Kyyamova RG,Panasyuk GG,Nemazanyy IO,Malets MS,Palchevskyy SS,Gout IT,Filonenko VV (2004) Immunohistochemical analysis of S6K1 and S6K2 expression in human breast tumors. Eksp Onkol, 26(1), 24 - 30.
- Nemazanyy I,Panasyuk G,Zhyvoloup A,Panayotou G,Gout IT,Filonenko V (2004) Specific interaction between S6K1 and CoA synthase: a potential link between the mTOR/S6K pathway, CoA biosynthesis and energy metabolism. Federation of European Biochemical Societies Letters, 578(3), 357 - 362.
- Kit YY,Drel VR,Petriv OI,Kovalyova VA,Shuvaeva GY,Palivoda OY,Vovk EI,Bobak YP,Rzeszowska-Wolny J,Gout IT,Buchman VL,Drobot LB (2003) Adaptor protein Ruk1 forms protein-protein complexes with endonuclease activity in HEK293 cells Biochemistry (Moscow), 68(7), 810 - 815.
- Garifulin OM,Kykot VO,Gridina NY,Kijamova RG,Gout IT,Filonenko VV (2003) Serex-analysis of three colon cancer cases EXP ONCOL, 25(2), 128 - 131.
- Zhyvoloup A,Nemazanyy I,Panasyuk G,Valovka T,Fenton T,Rebholz H,Wang ML,Foxon R,Lyzogubov V,Usenko V,Kyyamova R,Gorbenko O,Matsuka G,Filonenko V,Gout IT (2003) Subcellular Localization and Regulation of Coenzyme A Synthase Journal of Biological Chemistry, 278(50), 50316 - 50321. 10.1074/jbc.M307763200.
- Valovka T,Verdier F,Cramer R,Zhyvoloup A,Fenton T,Rebholz H,Wang ML,Gzhegotsky M,Lutsyk A,Matsuka G,Filonenko V,Wang L,Proud CG,Parker PJ,Gout IT (2003) Protein kinase C phosphorylates ribosomal protein S6 kinase ßII and regulates its subcellular localization Molecular and Cellular Biology, 23(3), 852 - 863. 10.1128/MCB.23.3.852-863.2003.
- Kingsbury SR,Gout IT (2003) Phosphoinositide 3-kinases and cancer EXP ONCOL, 25(1), 3 - 15.
- 1987: Doctor of Philosophy, National Academy of Science
- 1983: Doctor of Medicine, Lviv Medical University
- Cancer Biochemistry
- Prof Barbara Pedley
- Prof David Gems
- Prof Parmjit Jat
- Prof Daniel Hochhauser
- Prof Hans Stauss
- Prof Linda Partridge
- Prof John Hardy
- Prof Quentin Pankhurst
- Dr Emma Deas
- Prof John Collinge
- Prof David Linch
- Prof Sarah Tabrizi
- Dr Peter-Christian Kloehn
- Prof Dominic Withers
- Prof Paul Beard
- Prof Geraint Thomas
- Prof Chris Boshoff
- Dr Erik Arstad
- Dr Stephanie Schorge
- Prof Mike O'Hare