Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Irwin Nazareth
Telephone:0207 830 2394 or 0207 670 4850
Extension:020 7830 2394
Address:Dept Primary Care & Population Health, UCL Royal Free Site,
Rowland Hill Street,
Appointments:Professor of Primary Care and Population Science, Primary Care & Population Health, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
He started working at the UCL in 1990 as a Sir Jules Thorne Research Fellow and then as a MRC funded fellow. He was appointed Senior Lecturer in 1995 and Professor in 2002 at UCL. He was seconded to be the Director of the MRC General Practice Research Framework from 2005 to 2012. He is a part time general practitioner at the Keats Group Practice in Hampstead which has a strong focus on research.
He has a wide range of clinical research interests and has over the years obtained funding from the MRC, the Wellcome Trust, BUPA, Cancer Research UK and the National Institute of Health Research for translational clinical research activities. His primary research includes: the physical and psychological management of people with schizophrenia; the epidemiology and the prevention of depression in primary care prior to its onset; help seeking behaviour of people with depression and unexplained medical symptoms such as dizziness in the community; the epidemiology and presentations of sexual dysfunction in primary care; the evaluation of interventions designed to change professionals' clinical behaviour in primary care so as to assist the implementation of research results to clinical practice; the evaluation of health service interventions designed to improve continuity of care in people with cancer; the evaluation of interventions designed to change individuals' health behaviour with respect to smoking and weight management and the evaluation of of complex intervention for the treatment of mental disorders in general practice. His methodological research interests include systematic reviews and meta analyses; the effects of participants' preferences in randomised trials; the design and conduct of randomised trials of complex interventions and the use of large clinical databases such as GPRD (now CPRD) and THIN for epidemiological, aetiological and health service research. He is also the Director of PRIMENT Clinical Trials Unit which focuses on the design, conduct and analyses of randomised trials on primary care and mental health. His international research interests extend to current research on depression in Europe funded by the European Commission, primary care research in deprived areas of the Eastern Cape of South Africa supported by the British Council and the Sir Halley Stewart Charitable Trust and collaboration with the Public Health Foundation of India funded by the Wellcome Trust on evaluation of chronic diseases in primary care.
- A Randomised Trial to Increase the Uptake of Smoking Cessation Services using Personal Targeted Risk Information and Taster Sessions
- Clinical trials
- Effectiveness of Computer-Tailored Smoking Cessation Advice In Primary Care: A Randomised Trial (ESCAPE)
- Epidemiology and Control of Infectious disease
- Health care professional - patient communication/interactions
- Interface between physical health and mental health
- Major complications of chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- New technologies for better health
- Primary Care & Population Health
- Screening for cardiovascular disease in ethnic minority groups in faith-based and community settings
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Craig P,Dieppe P,Macintyre S,Michie S,Nazareth I,Petticrew M (2013) Developing and evaluating complex interventions: the new Medical Research Council guidance. Int J Nurs Stud, 50(5), 587 - 592. 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.09.010.
- Leurent B,Nazareth I,Bellón-Saameño J,Geerlings MI,Maaroos H,Saldivia S,Svab I,Torres-González F,Xavier M,King M (2013) Spiritual and religious beliefs as risk factors for the onset of major depression: an international cohort study. Psychol Med, 1 - 12. 10.1017/S0033291712003066.
- Gilbert HM,Leurent B,Sutton S,Alexis-Garsee C,Morris RW,Nazareth I (2013) ESCAPE: a randomised controlled trial of computer-tailored smoking cessation advice in primary care. Addiction, 108(4), 811 - 819. 10.1111/add.12005.
- King M,Bottomley C,Bellón-Saameño J,Torres-Gonzalez F,Svab I,Rotar D,Xavier M,Nazareth I (2013) Predicting onset of major depression in general practice attendees in Europe: extending the application of the predictD risk algorithm from 12 to 24 months. Psychol Med, 1 - 11. 10.1017/S0033291712002693.
- Rifel J,Svab I,Selič P,Rotar Pavlič D,Nazareth I,Car J (2013) Association of common mental disorders and quality of life with the frequency of attendance in Slovenian family medicine practices: longitudinal study. PLoS One, 8(1), e54241. 10.1371/journal.pone.0054241.
- Horsfall LJ,Nazareth I,Pereira SP,Petersen I (2013) Gilbert's syndrome and the risk of death: a population-based cohort study. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 10.1111/jgh.12279.
- Fardet L,Nazareth I,Whitaker HJ,Petersen I (2013) Severe neuropsychiatric outcomes following discontinuation of long-term glucocorticoid therapy: a cohort study. J Clin Psychiatry, 74(4), e281 - e286. 10.4088/JCP.12m08034.
- Nazareth I,Tavares F,Rosillon D,Haguinet F,Bauchau V (2013) Safety of AS03-adjuvanted split-virion H1N1 (2009) pandemic influenza vaccine: a prospective cohort study. BMJ Open, 3(2). 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001912.
- Horsfall LJ,Petersen I,Nazareth I (2012) SERUM BILIRUBIN AND RISK OF CARDIOVASCULAR EVENTS AND DEATH IN A STATIN-TREATED POPULATION: A COHORT STUDY JOURNAL OF EPIDEMIOLOGY AND COMMUNITY HEALTH, 66, A49 - A49. 10.1136/jech-2012-201753.126.
- Man S,Petersen I,Thompson M,Nazareth I (2012) DISCONTINUATION OF ANTIEPILEPTIC DRUGS IN PREGNANCY: A UK POPULATION BASED STUDY IN THE HEALTH IMPROVEMENT NETWORK PRIMARY CARE DATABASE EPILEPSIA, 53, 6 - 6.
- Fardet L,Petersen I,Nazareth I (2012) Suicidal behavior and severe neuropsychiatric disorders following glucocorticoid therapy in primary care. Am J Psychiatry, 169(5), 491 - 497.
- Fardet L,Petersen I,Nazareth I (2012) Risk of cardiovascular events in people prescribed glucocorticoids with iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome: cohort study BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 345, e4928 - e4928. 10.1136/bmj.e4928.
- Beeken RJ,Croker H,Morris S,Leurent B,Omar R,Nazareth I,Wardle J (2012) Study protocol for the 10 Top Tips (10TT) Trial: Randomised controlled trial of habit-based advice for weight control in general practice BMC Public Health, 16(12(1)).
- Kamphuis MH,Stegenga BT,Zuithoff NP,King M,Nazareth I,de Wit NJ,Geerlings MI (2012) [Recognition of depression by the General Practitioner: how does it influence outcome?]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd, 156(38), A4890.
- Horsfall LJ,Nazareth I,Petersen I (2012) Cardiovascular events as a function of serum bilirubin levels in a large, statin-treated cohort. Circulation, 126(22), 2556 - 2564. 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.114066.
- Gilbert H,Sutton S,Morris R,Parrot S,Galton S,Nazareth I (2012) Evaluating the effectiveness of using personal tailored risk information and taster sessions to increase the uptake of smoking cessation services: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials, 13, 195. 10.1186/1745-6215-13-195.
- Man S,Petersen I,Thompson M,Nazareth I (2012) DISCONTINUATION OF ANTIEPILEPTIC DRUGS IN PREGNANCY: A UK POPULATION BASED STUDY IN THE HEALTH IMPROVEMENT NETWORK (THIN) JOURNAL OF EPIDEMIOLOGY AND COMMUNITY HEALTH, 66, A48 - A48. 10.1136/jech-2012-201753.124.
- Hassiotis A,Osborn D,Horsfall L,Petersen I,Walters K,Nazareth I (2012) Access to cancer screening in people with learning disabilities in the UK using a primary care database JOURNAL OF INTELLECTUAL DISABILITY RESEARCH, 56(7-8), 763 - 763.
- Walters KR,Rait G,Griffin M,Buszewicz M,Nazareth I (2012) Incidence of anxiety diagnoses and symptoms recorded in primary care. PLoS One, 7(8). 10.1371/journal.pone.0041670.
- Osborn DPJ,Horsfall L,Hassiotis A,Petersen I,Walters K,Nazareth I (2012) Access to Cancer Screening in People with Learning Disabilities in the UK: Cohort Study in the Health Improvement Network, a Primary Care Research Database PLOS ONE, 7(8). 10.1371/journal.pone.0043841.
- Fardet ,Petersen 1,Nazareth I (2012) Risk of cardiovascular events in people prescribed glucocorticoids with iatrogenic Cushing’s syndrome: cohort study BMJ: British Medical Journal, 345.
- Stegenga BT,King M,Grobbee DE,Torres-González F,Švab I,Maaroos HI,Xavier M,Saldivia S,Bottomley C,Nazareth I,Geerlings MI (2012) Differential impact of risk factors for women and men on the risk of major depressive disorder. Ann Epidemiol, 22(6), 388 - 396. 10.1016/j.annepidem.2012.04.011.
- Walters K,Rait G,Hardoon S,Kalaitzaki E,Petersen I,Nazareth I (2012) Socio-demographic variation in chest pain incidence and subsequent coronary heart disease in primary care in the United Kingdom. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 10.1177/2047487312449415.
- Fardet L,Petersen I,Nazareth I (2012) Suicidal behavior and severe neuropsychiatric disorders following glucocorticoid therapy in primary care. Am J Psychiatry, 169(5), 491 - 497. 10.1176/appi.ajp.2011.11071009.
- Gilbert H,Leurent B,Sutton S,Morris R,Alexis-Garsee C,Nazareth I (2012) Factors predicting recruitment to a UK wide primary care smoking cessation study (The ESCAPE trial). Family Practice, 29(1), 110 - 117. 10.1093/fampra/cmr030.
- Petersen I,Gilbert R,Evans S,Nazareth I (2012) Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and risk for major congenital anomalies. Obstet Gynecol, 119(1), 182 - 183. 10.1097/AOG.0b013e31823f29ee.
- Reilly S,Planner C,Hann M,Reeves D,Nazareth I,Lester H (2012) The role of primary care in service provision for people with severe mental illness in the United Kingdom. PLoS One, 7(5), e36468. 10.1371/journal.pone.0036468.
- Wijlaars LP,Nazareth I,Petersen I (2012) Trends in depression and antidepressant prescribing in children and adolescents: a cohort study in The Health Improvement Network (THIN). PLoS One, 7(3), e33181. 10.1371/journal.pone.0033181.
- Welch C,Petersen I,Walters K,Morris RW,Nazareth I,Kalaitzaki E,White IR,Marston L,Carpenter J (2012) Two-stage method to remove population- and individual-level outliers from longitudinal data in a primary care database. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 21(7), 725 - 732. 10.1002/pds.2270.
- Kamphuis MH,Stegenga BT,Zuithoff NP,King M,Nazareth I,de Wit NJ,Geerlings MI (2012) Does recognition of depression in primary care affect outcome? The PREDICT-NL study. Fam Pract, 29(1), 16 - 23. 10.1093/fampra/cmr049.
- Prah P,Petersen I,Nazareth I,Walters K,Osborn D (2012) National changes in oral antipsychotic treatment for people with schizophrenia in primary care between 1998 and 2007 in the United Kingdom. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 21(2), 161 - 169. 10.1002/pds.2213.
- Stegenga BT,Nazareth I,Torres-González F,Xavier M,Svab I,Geerlings MI,Bottomley C,Marston L,King M (2012) Depression, anxiety and physical function: exploring the strength of causality. J Epidemiol Community Health, 66(7), e25. 10.1136/jech.2010.128371.
- Brill SE,El-Emir E,Singh R,Patel ARC,Mackay AJ,Donaldson GC,Nazareth I,Wedzicha JA (2012) RECRUITMENT TO COPD CLINICAL TRIALS FROM PRIMARY CARE PATIENTS THORAX, 67, A143 - A144. 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2012-202678.244.
- Gilbert HM,Sutton SR,Leurent B,Alexis-Garsee C,Morris R,Nazareth I (2012) The characteristics of a population wide sample of smokers recruited proactively for the ESCAPE trial Public Health, 126(4), 308 - 316. 10.1016/j.puhe.2011.11.010.
- Stegenga BT,Nazareth I,Grobbee DE,Torres-González F,Svab I,Maaroos HI,Xavier M,Saldivia S,Bottomley C,King M,Geerlings MI (2012) Recent life events pose greatest risk for onset of major depressive disorder during mid-life. J Affect Disord, 136(3), 505 - 513. 10.1016/j.jad.2011.10.041.
- Stegenga BT,Geerlings MI,Torres-González F,Xavier M,Svab I,Penninx BW,Nazareth I,King M (2012) Risk factors for onset of multiple or long major depressive episodes versus single and short episodes. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 10.1007/s00127-012-0626-2.
- Osborn DPJ,Limburg H,Walters K,Petersen I,King M,Green J,Watson J,Nazareth I (2012) Relative incidence of common cancers in people with severe mental illness. Cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN primary care database Schizophrenia Research.
- Man SL,Petersen I,Thompson M,Nazareth I (2012) Antiepileptic drugs during pregnancy in primary care: a UK population based study. PLoS One, 7(12), e52339. 10.1371/journal.pone.0052339.
- Wijlaars LPMM,Nazareth I,Petersen I (2012) Trends in Antidepressant Prescribing in Children in the United Kingdom, a Study in The Health Improvement Network (THIN) PHARMACOEPIDEMIOLOGY AND DRUG SAFETY, 21, 136 - 136.
- Man S-L,Petersen I,Thompson M,Nazareth I (2012) Discontinuation of Antiepileptic Drugs in Pregnancy; a UK Population Based Study in The Health Improvement Network (THIN) PHARMACOEPIDEMIOLOGY AND DRUG SAFETY, 21, 320 - 321.
- Man SL,Petersen I,Nazareth I,Bourke A,Thompson M (2012) ASSESSING THE COMPLETENESS OF MATERNITY DATA RECORDING IN UK PRIMARY AND SECONDARY CARE VALUE IN HEALTH, 15(7), A465 - A465.
- Gilbert H,Leurent B,Sutton S,Morris R,Alexis-Garsee C,Nazareth I (2012) Factors predicting recruitment to a UK wide primary care smoking cessation study (the ESCAPE trial). Fam Pract, 29(1), 110 - 117. 10.1093/fampra/cmr030.
- Stegenga BT,Kamphuis MH,King M,Nazareth I,Geerlings MI (2012) The natural course and outcome of major depressive disorder in primary care: the PREDICT-NL study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol, 47(1), 87 - 95. 10.1007/s00127-010-0317-9.
- Bailey JV,Murray E,Rait G,Mercer CH,Morris RW,Peacock R,Cassell J,Nazareth I (2012) Computer-based interventions for sexual health promotion: systematic review and meta-analyses Int.J.STD AIDS., 23(6), 408 - 413.
- King M,Marston L,Švab I,Maaroos HI,Geerlings MI,Xavier M,Benjamin V,Torres-Gonzalez F,Bellon-Saameno JA,Rotar D,Aluoja A,Saldivia S,Correa B,Nazareth I (2011) Development and validation of a risk model for prediction of hazardous alcohol consumption in general practice attendees: the predictAL study. PLoS One, 6(8), e22175. 10.1371/journal.pone.0022175.
- Osborn D,BAIO G,Walters K,Petersen I,Limburg H,Raine R,Nazareth I (2011) Inequalities in the provision of cardiovascular screening to people with severe mental illnesses in primary care. Cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN Primary Care Database 2000- 2007 Schizophrenia Research. 10.1016/j.schres.2011.04.003.
- Osborn DPJ,Baio G,Walters K,Petersen I,Limburg H,Raine R,Nazareth I (2011) Inequalities in the provision of cardiovascular screening to people with severe mental illnesses in primary care: Cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN Primary Care Database 2000–2007 Schizophrenia Research. 10.1016/j.schres.2011.04.003.
- Hayes J,Prah P,Nazareth I,King M,Walters K,Petersen I,Osborn D (2011) Prescribing trends in bipolar disorder: cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN primary care database 1995-2009. PLoS One, 6(12), e28725. 10.1371/journal.pone.0028725.
- Nazareth I (2011) Should men be screened and treated for postnatal depression? Expert Rev Neurother, 11(1), 1 - 3. 10.1586/ern.10.183.
- Adamson J,Hunt K,Nazareth I (2011) The influence of socio-demographic characteristics on consultation for back pain--a review of the literature. Fam Pract, 28(2), 163 - 171. 10.1093/fampra/cmq085.
BiographyHe started working at the UCL in 1990 as a Sir Jules Thorne Research Fellow and then as a MRC funded fellow. He was appointed Senior Lecturer in 1995 and Professor in 2002 at UCL. He was seconded to be the Director of the MRC General Practice Research Framework from 2005 to 2012. He is a part time general practitioner at the Keats Group Practice in Hampstead which has a strong focus on research.
- 2004: Fellowship, Royal College of General Practioners
- 1997: Doctor of Philosophy, London
- 1989: Member of the Royal College of General Practioners, Royal College of General Practioners
- 1988: Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists
- 1985: Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians, To be updated
- 1984: Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery,
- Anxiety disorders
- Chronic Diseases
- Clinical Research
- Clinical trials
- Clinical trials
- Depressive disorders
- Epidemiology research
- Gene expression
- Health care evaluation
- Hearing and balance
- Longitudinal analysis
- Primary Care Mental Health
- Primary health care
- Psychosocial research
- Public health
- Research synthesis
- Schizophrenia and related disorders
- Somatoform and factitious disorders
- Study design
- Systematic review
- Trial Methodology
- Vertigo and vestibular disorders
- Vestibular rehabilitation
- Dr Fiona Stevenson
- Dr Irene Petersen
- Dr Lorraine Noble
- Dr Alison Rodger
- Prof Janet Darbyshire
- Prof William Rosenberg
- Mr Hashim Ahmed
- Dr Hazel Gilbert
- Dr Rumana Omar
- Dr Andrew Hayward
- Mrs Dimitra Kale
- Ms Molly Sweeney Magee
- Dr Zarnie Khadjesari
- Dr Elizabeth Murray
- Dr Kate Walters
- Prof Anne Johnson
- Prof Paul Wallace
- Dr Greta Rait
- Prof Paul Higgs
- Prof Richard Morris
- Dr Ailbhe McDonald
- Dr Lesley Rees
- Dr David Osborn
- Prof Aroon Hingorani
- Prof Francesco Muntoni
- Dr Tamar Koch