Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Harry Hemingway
Telephone:0044 20 3108 3084
Fax:0044 20 7813 0242
Address:110 1 - 19 Torrington Place,
Appointments:Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health, Epidemiology & Public Health, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
Professor Hemingway's research focuses on cardiovascular disease in populations. Broadly the aim is to generate new research evidence at multiple stages in translational pathways for improving our understanding of why cardiovascular diseases occur, and then progress, in ways which can have an impact on clinical practice, healthcare and public health policy. A key element of the approach of his work is to exploit new opportunities for large scale research arising from linking electronic health records, including research on cardiovascular disease in populations. There are three strands to this work which is funded by the Wellcome Trust, Medical Research Council, National Institute of Health Research and the European Commission Framework Programme 7: novel clinical cohorts, exploitation of linked electronic health records and methods development. The Clinical Cohorts in Coronary disease Collaboration (4C) is phenotyping and genotyping people with suspected and confirmed stable coronary disease, with follow-up for cardiovascular endpoints. Cardiovascular disease research using Linked Bespoke studies and Electronic Records (CALIBER) has curated linkages between multiple sources of records, including the primary care record in CPRD (Clinical Practice Research Datalink), hospital discharge data, differentiated acute coronary syndrome endpoints from MINAP (Myocardial Ischaemia National Audit Project) and death records. The MRC-funded Prognosis Research Strategy initiative (PROGRESS) is an international, interdisciplinary collaboration developing understanding in research into prognostic factors, risk prediction models and predictors of differential treatment response. Professor Hemingway is the Director of CHAPTER, the newly established Centre for Health service and Academic Partnership in Translational E-Health Research. One of four E-Health Informatics Research Centres, CHAPTER is funded by 10 UK bodies (including MRC, Wellcome Trust, NIHR, British Heart Foundation) and is a key aspect of the UK Government’s Life Sciences strategy.
- A wide range of cardiovascular diseases
- Linked electronic health records
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Zaman MJ,Philipson P,Chen R,Farag A,Shipley M,Marmot MG,Timmis AD,Hemingway H (2013) South Asians and coronary disease: is there discordance between effects on incidence and prognosis? Heart Online. 10.1136/heartjnl-2012-302925.
- Steyerberg EW,Moons KGM,van der Windt DA,Hayden JA,Perel P,Schroter S,Riley RD,Hemingway H (2013) Prognosis Research Strategy (PROGRESS) 3: Prognostic Model Research PLoS Medicine, 10(2), e1001381. 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001381.
- Hemingway H,Croft P,Perel P,Hayden JA,Abrams K,Timmis A,Briggs A,Udumyan R,Moons KG,Steyerberg EW,Roberts I,Schroter S,Altman DG,Riley RD,PROGRESS Group (2013) Prognosis research strategy (PROGRESS) 1: a framework for researching clinical outcomes. BMJ, 346, e5595.
- Hingorani AD,Windt DA,Riley RD,Abrams K,Moons KG,Steyerberg EW,Schroter S,Sauerbrei W,Altman DG,Hemingway H,PROGRESS Group (2013) Prognosis research strategy (PROGRESS) 4: stratified medicine research. BMJ, 346, e5793.
- Riley RD,Hayden JA,Steyerberg EW,Moons KGM,Abrams K,Kyzas PA,Malats N,Briggs A,Schroter S,Altman DG,Hemingway H (2013) Prognosis Research Strategy (PROGRESS) 2: Prognostic Factor Research: Prognostic Factor Research PLoS Medicine, 10(2). 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001380.
- Warren-Gash C,Hayward AC,Hemingway H,Denaxas S,Thomas SL,Timmis AD,Whitaker H,Smeeth L (2012) Influenza infection and risk of acute myocardial infarction in England and Wales: a CALIBER self-controlled case series study. J Infect Dis, 206(11), 1652 - 1659. 10.1093/infdis/jis597.
- Denaxas SC,George J,Herrett E,Shah AD,Kalra D,Hingorani AD,Kivimaki M,Timmis AD,Smeeth L,Hemingway H (2012) Data resource profile: cardiovascular disease research using linked bespoke studies and electronic health records (CALIBER). Int J Epidemiol, 41(6), 1625 - 1638. 10.1093/ije/dys188.
- Lee V,Hemingway H,Harb R,Crake T,Lambiase P (2012) The prognostic significance of premature ventricular complexes in adults without clinically apparent heart disease: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Heart, 98(17), 1290 - 1298. 10.1136/heartjnl-2012-302005.
- Douglas IJ,Evans SJ,Hingorani AD,Grosso AM,Timmis A,Hemingway H,Smeeth L (2012) Clopidogrel and interaction with proton pump inhibitors: comparison between cohort and within person study designs. BMJ, 345, e4388.
- Sutaria S,Philipson P,Fitzpatrick NK,Abrams K,Moreno SG,Timmis A,Hingorani AD,Hemingway H (2012) Translational phases of evidence in a prognostic biomarker: a systematic review and meta-analysis of natriuretic peptides and the prognosis of stable coronary disease. Heart, 98(8), 615 - 622. 10.1136/heartjnl-2011-300862.
- Meier P,Hemingway H,Lansky AJ,Knapp G,Pitt B,Seiler C (2012) The impact of the coronary collateral circulation on mortality: a meta-analysis. Eur Heart J, 33(5), 614 - 621. 10.1093/eurheartj/ehr308.
- Shah AD,Hemingway H,Martinez C (2012) The Freetext Matching Algorithm: a computer program to extract diagnoses and causes of death from unstructured text in electronic health records BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 12. 10.1186/1472-6947-12-88.
- Smeeth L,Hemingway H (2012) Improving vascular health: are pills the answer? BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, 344. 10.1136/bmj.e3802.
- Wang Z,Shah AD,Tate AR,Denaxas S,Shawe-Taylor J,Hemingway H (2012) Extracting diagnoses and investigation results from unstructured text in electronic health records by semi-supervised machine learning. PLoS One, 7(1), e30412. 10.1371/journal.pone.0030412.
- Boggon R,van Staa TP,Timmis A,Hemingway H,Ray KK,Begg A,Emmas C,et al (2011) Clopidogrel discontinuation after acute coronary syndromes: frequency, predictors and associations with death and myocardial infarction - a hospital registry-primary care linked cohort (MINAP-GPRD). Eur Heart J, 32(11), 2376 - 2386.
- Boggon R,Eaton S,Timmis A,Hemingway H,Gabriel Z,Minhas I,van Staa T (2011) Statin Prescribing Following an Acute Coronary Syndrome: Are the NICE Guidelines Being Followed? PHARMACOEPIDEM DR S, 20, S20 - S21.
- Shah AD,Nicholas O,Timmis AD,Feder G,Abrams KR,Chen R,Hingorani AD,Hemingway H (2011) Threshold haemoglobin levels and the prognosis of stable coronary disease: two new cohorts and a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med, 8(5), e1000439. 10.1371/journal.pmed.1000439.
- Zaman MJ,Shipley MJ,Stafford M,Brunner EJ,Timmis AD,Marmot MG,Hemingway H (2011) Incidence and prognosis of angina pectoris in South Asians and Whites: 18 years of follow-up over seven phases in the Whitehall-II prospective cohort study. J Public Health (Oxf), 33(3), 430 - 438. 10.1093/pubmed/fdq093.
- Quint JK,Herrett E,Timmis A,Hemingway H,Smeeth L (2011) SURVIVAL AFTER THE FIRST MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION IS SHORTER IN PATIENTS WITH COPD COMPARED TO THE GENERAL POPULATION THORAX, 66, A45 - A46. 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2011-201054b.96.
- Boggon R,Fox KA,Begg A,Ray K,Timmis A,Hemingway H,Emmas CE,Van Staa T (2011) RESOURCE USE IN PATIENTS WITH ACUTE CORONARY SYNDROME - AN OBSERVATIONAL STUDY ACROSS SECONDARY AND PRIMARY CARE IN A UK POPULATION VALUE IN HEALTH, 14(7), A382 - A382.
- Boggon R,van Staa TP,Timmis A,Hemingway H,Ray KK,Begg A,Emmas C,Fox KAA (2011) Clopidogrel discontinuation after acute coronary syndromes: frequency, predictors and associations with death and myocardial infarction-a hospital registry-primary care linked cohort (MINAP-GPRD) EUR HEART J, 32(19), 2376 - 2386. 10.1093/eurheartj/ehr340.
- Lallukka T,Manderbacka K,Keskimaki I,Hemingway H,Rahkonen O,Lahelma E,Antti R (2011) Angina pectoris: relation of epidemiological survey to registry data EUR J CARDIOV PREV R, 18(4), 621 - 626. 10.1097/HJR.0b013e32833bfc73.
- Boggon R,Fox KA,Begg A,Ray K,Timmis A,Hemingway H,Emmas CE,Van Staa T (2011) CLOPIDODGREL AND STATIN PRESCRIBING PATTERNS IN ACS PATIENTS - AN OBSERVATIONAL STUDY USING LINKED SECONDARY AND PRIMARY CARE DATA IN A UK POPULATION 2003-2009 VALUE IN HEALTH, 14(7), A368 - A368.
- Hingorani AD,Hemingway H (2011) How should we balance individual and population benefits of statins for preventing cardiovascular disease? BMJ, 342, c6244.
- Henriksson M,Palmer S,Chen R,Damant J,Fitzpatrick NK,Abrams K,Hingorani AD,Stenestrand U,Janzon M,Feder G,Keogh B,Shipley MJ,Kaski JC,Timmis A,Sculpher M,Hemingway H (2010) Assessing the cost effectiveness of using prognostic biomarkers with decision models: case study in prioritising patients waiting for coronary artery surgery. BMJ, 340, b5606.
- Hemingway H,Philipson P,Chen R,Fitzpatrick NK,Damant J,Shipley M,Abrams KR,Moreno S,McAllister KS,Palmer S,Kaski JC,Timmis AD,Hingorani AD (2010) Evaluating the quality of research into a single prognostic biomarker: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 83 studies of C-reactive protein in stable coronary artery disease. PLoS Med, 7(6), e1000286. 10.1371/journal.pmed.1000286.
- Hemingway H,Philipson P,Chen R,Fitzpatrick NH,Damant J,Shipley M,Abrams KR,Moreno S,McAllister KSL,Palmer S,Kaski JC,Timmis AD,Hingorani AD (2010) Evaluating the Quality of Research into a Single Prognostic Biomarker: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of 83 Studies of C-Reactive Protein in Stable Coronary Artery Disease PLoS Medicine, 7(6).
- Smeeth L,Skinner JS,Ashcroft J,Hemingway H,Timmis A,Chest Pain Guideline Dev Grp (2010) NICE clinical guideline: chest pain of recent onset BRIT J GEN PRACT, 60(577), 607 - 610. 10.3399/bjgp10X515124.
- Herrett E,Smeeth L,Walker L,MINAP Academic Group (2010) The Myocardial Ischaemia National Audit Project (MINAP) Heart and Vessels: an international journal, 96(16), 1264 - 1267.
- Skinner JS,Smeeth L,Kendall JM,Adams PC,Timmis A,Chest Pain Development Group (2010) NICE Guidance: Chest pain of recent onset: assessment and diagnosis of recent onset chest pain or discomfort of suspected cardiac origin Heart, 96(12), 974 - 978.
- Hemingway H,Henriksson M,Chen R,Damant J,Fitzpatrick N,Abrams K,Hingorani A,Janzon M,Shipley M,Feder G,Keogh B,Stenestrand U,McAllister K,Kaski JC,Timmis A,Palmer S,Sculpher M (2010) The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of biomarkers for the prioritisation of patients awaiting coronary revascularisation: a systematic review and decision model. Health Technol Assess, 14(9), 1 - iv. 10.3310/hta14090.
- Bobak M,Hemingway H (2009) Quality of acute coronary care in emerging economies Canadian Medical Association Journal, 180(12), 1190 - 1191.
- Kuper H,Nicholson A,Kivimaki M,Aitsi-Selmi A,Cavalleri G,Deanfield JE,Heuschmann P,Jouven X,Malyutina S,Mayosi BM,Sans S,Thomsen T,Witteman JC,Hingorani AD,Lawlor DA,Hemingway H (2009) Evaluating the causal relevance of diverse risk markers: horizontal systematic review. BMJ, 339, b4265.
- Hemingway H,Riley RD,Altman DG (2009) Ten steps towards improving prognosis research. BMJ, 339, b4184.
- Hemingway H (2009) States, rates and traits: prognosis research and chronic stable angina. Heart. 10.1136/hrt.2008.152579.
- Lallukka T,Chandola T,Hemingway H,Marmot M,Lahelma E,Rahkonen O (2009) Job strain and symptoms of angina pectoris among British and Finnish middle-aged employees. Journal of epidemiology and community health.
- Zaman MJ,Crook AM,Junghans C,Fitzpatrick NK,Feder G,Timmis AD,Hemingway H (2009) Ethnic differences in long-term improvement of angina following revascularization or medical management: a comparison between south Asians and white Europeans. Journal of Public Health, 31(1), 168 - 174.
- Zaman MJ,Sanders J,Crook A,Feder G,Shipley M,Timmis A,Hemingway H (2009) Cardiothoracic ratio within the 'normal' range independently predicts mortality in patients undergoing coronary angiography CARDIOLOGY, 113, 74 - 74.
- Zaman MJS,Chen R,Timmis A,Marmot M,Hemingway H (2008) Is the increased cardiovascular mortality in South Asians a result of increased incidence or case fatality? Four new studies and a meta-analysis HEART, 94, A139 - A139.
- Chandola T,Britton A,Brunner E,Hemingway H,Malik M,Kumari M,Badrick E,Kivimaki M,Marmot MG (2008) Work stress and coronary heart disease: what are the mechanisms European Heart Journal, 29, 640 - 648.
- Zaman MJ,Junghans C,Sekhri N,Chen R,Feder GS,Timmis AD,Hemingway H (2008) Presentation of stable angina pectoris among women and South Asian people Canadian Medical Association Journal, 179(7), 659 - 667.
- Marmot MG,Shipley MJ,Hemingway H,Head J,Brunner EJ (2008) Biological and behavioural explanations of social inequalities in coronary heart disease: the Whitehall II study Diabetologia, 51(11), 1980 - 1988.
- Hemingway H,Chen R,Junghans C,Timmis A,Eldridge S,Black N,Shekelle P,Feder G (2008) Appropriateness criteria for coronary angiography in angina: reliability and validity Annals of Internal Medicine, 149(4), 221 - 231.
- Hemingway H,Langenberg C,Damant J,Frost C,Pyörälä K,Barrett-Connor E (2008) Prevalence of angina in women versus men: a systematic review and meta-analysis of international variations across 31 countries. Circulation, 117(12), 1526 - 1536.
- Somerville C,Featherstone K,Hemingway H,Timmis A,Feder GS (2008) Performing stable angina pectoris: an ethnographic study. Social Science and Medicine, 66(7), 1497 - 1508.
- Zaman MJS,Brunner EJ,Hemingway H (2008) Cardiovascular Disease: Overview and Trends, 511 - 538.
- Greaves K,Chen R,Ge L,Wei M,Tong B,Cai N,Senior R,Hemingway H (2008) Mild to moderate renal impairment is associated with increased left ventricular mass. International Journal of Cardiology, 124(3), 384 - 386.
- Sekhri N,Feder GS,Junghans C,Eldridge S,Umaipalan A,Madhu R,Hemingway H,Timmis AD (2008) Incremental prognostic value of the exercise electrocardiogram in the initial assessment of patients with suspected angina: cohort study BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.). 10.1136/bmj.a2240.
- Sekhri N,Timmis A,Chen R,Junghans C,Walsh N Z,M J E,S H,H F,G (2008) Inequity of access to investigation and effect on clinical outcomes: prognostic study of coronary angiography for suspected stable angina pectoris BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 336(7652), 1058 - 1061.
- Ruoling C,Hemingway H,Wilkinson P,Birkhead JS,Timmis A,MINAP Acad Grp (2007) Does less use of secondary prevention medication in patients with Non-st elevation myocardial infarction explain their higher 1-year mortality than St elevation myocardial infarction? - The myocardial infarction national audit project CIRCULATION, 116(16), 722 - 722.
- 2005: Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health, Royal College of Physicians
- 2005: Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, Royal College of Physicians
- 1995: Master of Science, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- 1988: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Cambridge
- 1985: Bachelor of Arts, University of Cambridge
- C-reactive protein
- Clinical Research
- Clinical epidemiology
- Clinical research methodology
- Clinical trials
- Clinical trials
- Complex interventions
- Coronary disease
- Cross-sectional and cohort studies
- Epidemiology research
- Evidence-based healthcare
- Genomewide association analysis
- Health care inequalities
- Health inequalities
- Heart disease
- Longitudinal analysis
- Molecular epidemiology
- Multilevel models
- Patient records
- Prognosis research
- Psychosocial research
- Public health
- Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs)
- Systematic review
- angina pectoris
- prognosis research