Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Gabriel Waksman
Address:Rm 111 Research Department of Structural & Molecular Biology,
Appointments:S A Courtauld Chair of Biochemistry (and Professor of Structural Biology), Structural & Molecular Biology, Div of Biosciences
Gabriel Waksman obtained his PhD in 1982 from the University of Paris. After a short spell in industry and a postdoctoral training at the Rockefeller University in New York, he joined the faculty of Washington University School of Medicine (St Louis, USA) in 1993. In 2000, he became the Alumni Endowed Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, and in 2002 was appointed the first Roy and Diana Vagelos Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics. In 2003, he moved to London (UK) to take up the Joint Chair of Structural Molecular Biology at University College London and Birkbeck College London. The same year, he was awarded a Wolfson-Royal Society Merit Award and was appointed the Head of the Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology at UCL/Birkbeck. In 2006, he was appointed to the Courtauld Chair in Biochemistry at UCL, became Head of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (now Research Department of Structural and Molecular Biology) at UCL and was appointed Head of the School of Crystallography (now Department of Biological Sciences) at Birkbeck. He was elected to EMBO in 2007 and a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences in 2008 and a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2012. He maintains an active research programme in the Structural Biology of Bacterial Secretion Systems funded by a senior investigator award from the Wellcome Trust, an Advanced ERC grant and a programme grant from MRC.
- Structural and Molecular Biology of Bacterial Secretion Systems
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Lithgow T,Waksman G (2013) Seaside transportation-from structure to function of translocation machines EMBO REPORTS, 14(7), 585 - 587. 10.1038/embor.2013.79.
- Redzej A,Ilangovan A,Lang S,Gruber CJ,Topf M,Zangger K,Zechner EL,Waksman G (2013) Structure of a Translocation Signal Domain Mediating Conjugative Transfer by Type IV Secretion Systems. Mol Microbiol. 10.1111/mmi.12275.
- Geibel S,Procko E,Hultgren SJ,Baker D,Waksman G (2013) Structural and energetic basis of folded-protein transport by the FimD usher. Nature, 496(7444), 243 - 246. 10.1038/nature12007.
- Rivera-Calzada A,Fronzes R,Savva CG,Chandran V,Lian PW,Laeremans T,Pardon E,Steyaert J,Remaut H,Waksman G,Orlova EV (2013) Structure of a bacterial type IV secretion core complex at subnanometre resolution. EMBO J, 32(8), 1195 - 1204. 10.1038/emboj.2013.58.
- Allen WJ,Phan G,Hultgren SJ,Waksman G (2013) Dissection of pilus tip assembly by the FimD usher monomer. J Mol Biol, 425(5), 958 - 967. 10.1016/j.jmb.2012.12.024.
- Rothwell PJ,Allen WJ,Sisamakis E,Kalinin S,Felekyan S,Widengren J,Waksman G,Seidel CA (2013) dNTP-dependent conformational transitions in the fingers subdomain of Klentaq1 DNA polymerase: insights into the role of the "nucleotide-binding" state. J Biol Chem, 288(19), 13575 - 13591. 10.1074/jbc.M112.432690.
- Rêgo AT,Johnson JG,Gelbel S,Enguita FJ,Clegg S,Waksman G (2012) Crystal structure of the MrkD1P receptor binding domain of Klebsiella pneumoniae and identification of the human collagen V binding interface. Mol Microbiol, 86(4), 882 - 893. 10.1111/mmi.12023.
- Ford B,Verger D,Dodson K,Volkan E,Kostakioti M,Elam J,Pinkner J,Waksman G,Hultgren S (2012) The structure of the PapD-PapGII pilin complex reveals an open and flexible P5 pocket. J Bacteriol, 194(23), 6390 - 6397. 10.1128/JB.06651-11.
- Gonen T,Waksman G (2012) Recent progress in membrane protein structures and investigation methods. Curr Opin Struct Biol, 22(4), 467 - 468. 10.1016/j.sbi.2012.07.002.
- Walldén K,Williams R,Yan J,Lian PW,Wang L,Thalassinos K,Orlova EV,Waksman G (2012) Structure of the VirB4 ATPase, alone and bound to the core complex of a type IV secretion system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 109(28), 11348 - 11353. 10.1073/pnas.1201428109.
- Morrissey B,Leney AC,Toste Rêgo A,Phan G,Allen WJ,Verger D,Waksman G,Ashcroft AE,Radford SE (2012) The role of chaperone-subunit usher domain interactions in the mechanism of bacterial pilus biogenesis revealed by ESI-MS. Mol Cell Proteomics, 11(7), M111.015289. 10.1074/mcp.M111.015289.
- Busch A,Waksman G (2012) Chaperone-usher pathways: diversity and pilus assembly mechanism. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, 367(1592), 1112 - 1122. 10.1098/rstb.2011.0206.
- Waksman G (2012) Bacterial secretion comes of age. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci, 367(1592), 1014 - 1015. 10.1098/rstb.2011.0200.
- Allen WJ,Phan G,Waksman G (2012) Pilus biogenesis at the outer membrane of Gram-negative bacterial pathogens. Curr Opin Struct Biol, 22(4), 500 - 506. 10.1016/j.sbi.2012.02.001.
- Volkan E,Ford BA,Pinkner JS,Dodson KW,Henderson NS,Thanassi DG,Waksman G,Hultgren SJ (2012) Domain activities of PapC usher reveal the mechanism of action of an Escherichia coli molecular machine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 109(24), 9563 - 9568. 10.1073/pnas.1207085109.
- Chudasama V,Smith ME,Schumacher FF,Papaioannou D,Waksman G,Baker JR,Caddick S (2011) Bromopyridazinedione-mediated protein and peptide bioconjugation. Chem Commun (Camb), 47(31), 8781 - 8783. 10.1039/c1cc12807h.
- Phan G,Remaut H,Wang T,Allen W,Pirker K,Lebedev A,Henderson N,Geibel S,Volkan E,Yan J,Kunze M,Pinker J,Ford B,Kay C,Li H,Hultgren S,Thanassi D,Waksman G (2011) Crystal structure of the FimD usher bound to its cognate FimC:FimH substrate. Nature, 49 - 53. 10.1038/nature10109.
- Durand E,Waksman G,Receveur-Brechot V (2011) Structural insights into the membrane-extracted dimeric form of the ATPase TraB from the Escherichia coli pKM101 conjugation system. BMC Struct Biol, 11, 4. 10.1186/1472-6807-11-4.
- Meng G,Spahich N,Kenjale R,Waksman G,St Geme JW (2011) Crystal structure of the Haemophilus influenzae Hap adhesin reveals an intercellular oligomerization mechanism for bacterial aggregation. EMBO J, 30(18), 3864 - 3874. 10.1038/emboj.2011.279.
- Jia H,Korolev S,Niedziela-Majka A,Maluf NK,Gauss GH,Myong S,Ha T,Waksman G,Lohman TM (2011) Rotations of the 2B sub-domain of E. coli UvrD helicase/translocase coupled to nucleotide and DNA binding. J Mol Biol, 411(3), 633 - 648. 10.1016/j.jmb.2011.06.019.
- Cai X,Wang R,Filloux A,Waksman G,Meng G (2011) Structural and functional characterization of Pseudomonas aeruginosa CupB chaperones. PLoS One, 6(1), e16583. 10.1371/journal.pone.0016583.
- RYAN C,SMITH M,SCHUMACHER F,GROHMANN D,PAPAIOANNOU D,WAKSMAN G,WERNER F,BAKER J,CADDICK S (2011) Tunable Reagents for Multi-functional Bioconjugation: Reversible or Permanent Chemical Modification of Proteins and Peptides by Control of Maleimide Hydrolysis. Chemical Communications, 21(47).
- Leney AC,PHAN G,ALLEN W,VERGER D,WAKSMAN G,RADFORD S,ASHCROFT A (2011) Second order rate constants of donor-strand exchange reveal individual amino acid residues important in determining the subunit specificity of pilus biogenesis J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrometry..
- Banta LM,Kerr JE,Cascales E,Giuliano ME,Bailey ME,McKay C,Chandran V,Waksman G,Christie PJ (2011) An Agrobacterium VirB10 mutation conferring a type IV secretion system gating defect. J Bacteriol, 193(10), 2566 - 2574. 10.1128/JB.00038-11.
- Terradot L,Waksman G (2011) Architecture of the Helicobacter pylori Cag-type IV secretion system. FEBS J, 278(8), 1213 - 1222. 10.1111/j.1742-4658.2011.08037.x.
- Geibel S,Waksman G (2011) Crystallography and electron microscopy of chaperone/usher pilus systems. Adv Exp Med Biol, 715, 159 - 174. 10.1007/978-94-007-0940-9_10.
- Waksman G,Fronzes R (2010) Molecular architecture of type 4 secretion systems. TIBS.(35), 691 - 698. 10.1016/j.tibs.2010.06.002.
- Smith M,Caddick S,Baker JR,Waksman G,Schumacher F,Papaiannou D,Tedaldi L,Ryan C (2010) Protein modification, bioconjugation, and disulfide bridging using bromomaleimides. Journal of the American Chemical Society(132), 1960 - 1965. 10.1021/ja908610s.
- Toste Rego A,Fronzes R,Waksman G (2010) Bacterial appendages I Cell, 140(1), 162 - 162.e1. 10.1016/j.cell.2009.12.047.
- Wallden K,Rivera-Calzada A,Waksman G (2010) Type IV secretion systems: versatility and diversity in function. Cell Microbiol, 12(9), 1203 - 1212. 10.1111/j.1462-5822.2010.01499.x.
- Toste Rêgo AC,V Waksman G (2010) Two-step and one-step secretion mechanisms in Gram-negative bacteria: contrasting the type IV secretion system and the chaperone-usher pathway of pilus biogenesis Biochemical Journal(425), 475 - 488. 10.1042/BJ20091518.
- Toste Rego A,Fronzes R,Waksman G (2010) Bacterial appendages II Cell, 140(2), 294 - 294.e1. 10.1016/j.cell.2010.01.006.
- Ford BTR,T Ragan TP,K Dodson KD,P Hultgren SW,G (2010) Structural homology between the C-terminal domain of the PapC usher and its plug Journal of Bacteriology(192), 1824 - 1831. 10.1128/JB.01677-09.
- Virdee SM,D Waksman G (2010) Semisynthetic Src SH2 Domains Demonstrate Altered Phosphopeptide Specificity Induced by Incorporation of Unnatural Lysine Derivatives. Chemistry and Biology(17), 274 - 284. 10.1016/j.chembiol.2010.01.015.
- Durand EO,C Waksman G (2010) Biochemical dissection of the ATPase TraB, the VirB4 homologue of the E. coli pKM101 conjugation machinery Journal of Bacteriology(192), 2315 - 2323. 10.1128/JB.01384-09.
- Chorell E,Pinkner J,Phan G,Edvinsson S,Buelens F,Remaut H,Waksman G,Hultgren S,Almqvist F (2010) Design and synthesis of C-2 substituted thiazolo and dihydrothiazolo ring-fused 2-pyridones generate pilicides with increased antivirulence activity. J. Med. Chem.(53), 5690 - 5695. 10.1021/jm100470t.
- Fronzes R,Schaefer E,Saibil H,Orlova E,Waksman G (2009) Structure of a type IV secretion core complex. Science, 323(5911), 266 - 268. 10.1126/science.1166101.
- Kenjale RM,G Fink DJ,T Ohashi TE,H Waksman GSG,J (2009) Structural determinants of autoproteolysis of the Haemophilus influenzae Hap autotransporter Infection and Immunity(77), 4704 - 4713. 10.1128/IAI.00598-09.
- Feteira J,Stella A,Baldeschi C,Vaigot P,Feral C,Martin M,Monsarrat B,Waksman G,Lemaitre G (2009) CD98hc (SLC3A2) is a Key Regulator of Keratinocyte Adhesion JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE DERMATOLOGY, 129, S81 - S81.
- Fronzes RC,P W,G (2009) Structural insights into type IV secretion machineries Nature Reviews Microbiology(7), 703 - 714. 10.1038/nrmicro2218.
- Guenou H,Nissan X,Larcher F,Feteira J,Lemaitre G,Saidani M,Del Rio M,Barrault CC,Bernard FX,Peschanski M,Baldeschi C,Waksman G (2009) Human embryonic stem-cell derivatives for full reconstruction of the pluristratified epidermis: a preclinical study. Lancet, 374(9703), 1745 - 1753. 10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61496-3.
- Allen WJ,Phan G,Waksman G (2009) Structural biology of periplasmic chaperones. Adv Protein Chem Struct Biol, 78, 51 - 97. 10.1016/S1876-1623(08)78003-9.
- Waksman G,Hultgren SJ (2009) Structure and assembly mechanism of chaperone-usher pili. Nature Reviews Microbiology. 10.1038/nrmicro2220.
- Fronzes R,Schafer E,Wang L,Saibil HR,Orlova EV,Waksman G (2009) The secrets of secretion revealed FUTURE MICROBIOL, 4(1), 11 - 11.
- Meng G,Fronzes R,Chandran V,Remaut H,Waksman G (2009) Protein oligomerization in the bacterial outer membrane Molecular Membrane Biology, 26(3), 136 - 145. 10.1080/09687680802712422.
- Chandran V,Fronzes R,Duquerroy S,Cronin N,Navaza J,Waksman G (2009) Crystal structure of the outer membrane complex of a type IV secretion system Nature. 10.1038/nature08588.
- Radin J,Grass S,Meng G,Cotter S,Waksman G,St Geme 3rd J (2009) Structural basis for the differential binding affinities of the HsfBD1 and HsfBD2 domains in the Haemophilus influenzae Hsf adhesin Journal of Bacteriology(191), 5068 - 5075. 10.1128/JB.00395-09.
- Waksman G (2009) Going round in circles: the structural biology of type III secretion systems Nature Structural and Molecular Biology(16), 459 - 460. 10.1038/nsmb0509-459.
- Durand E,Verger D,Toste-Rego A,Chandran V,Meng G,Fronzes R,Waksman G (2009) Structural biology of bacterial secretion systems in Gram-negative pathogens – Potential for new drug targets. Infectious Disorders - Drug Targets, 9(5), 518 - 547. 10.2174/187152609789105722.
- Allen WP,G Waksman G (2009) Structural biology of periplasmic chaperones Advances in Protein Chemistry and Structural Biology(75), 51 - 98.
BiographyGabriel Waksman obtained his PhD in 1982 from the University of Paris. After a short spell in industry and a postdoctoral training at the Rockefeller University in New York, he joined the faculty of Washington University School of Medicine (St Louis, USA) in 1993. In 2000, he became the Alumni Endowed Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, and in 2002 was appointed the first Roy and Diana Vagelos Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics. In 2003, he moved to London (UK) to take up the Joint Chair of Structural Molecular Biology at University College London and Birkbeck College London. The same year, he was awarded a Wolfson-Royal Society Merit Award and was appointed the Head of the Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology at UCL/Birkbeck. In 2006, he was appointed to the Courtauld Chair in Biochemistry at UCL, became Head of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (now Research Department of Structural and Molecular Biology) at UCL and was appointed Head of the School of Crystallography (now Department of Biological Sciences) at Birkbeck. He was elected to EMBO in 2007 and a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences in 2008 and a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2012. He maintains an active research programme in the Structural Biology of Bacterial Secretion Systems funded by a senior investigator award from the Wellcome Trust, an Advanced ERC grant and a programme grant from MRC.
- 1982: Doctor of Philosophy, University of Paris
- 1980: Diplôme d'études Approfondies, University of Paris
- 1979: Bachelor of Science, University of Paris
- 1979: Bachelor of Science, University of Paris