Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Jane Wardle
Telephone:0207 679 1734
Fax:0207 679 8354
Address:203 Health Behaviour Research Centre,
1-19 Torrington Place,
Appointments:Professor of Clinical Psychology Director Health Behaviour Research Centre, Epidemiology & Public Health, Institute of Epidemiology & HealthProfessor of Clinical Psychology, Epidemiology & Public Health, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
- Behavioural, pharmacological and social factors in tobacco dependence
- Colorectal cancer imaging
- Psychobiology of health and disease
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Waller J,Douglas E,Whitaker KL,Wardle J (2013) Women's responses to information about overdiagnosis in the UK breast cancer screening programme: a qualitative study BMJ Open, 3(4). 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-002703.
- Halligan S,Wooldrage K,Dadswell E,Kralj-Hans I,von Wagner C,Edwards R,Yao G,Kay C,Burling D,Faiz O,Teare J,Lilford RJ,Morton D,Wardle J,Atkin W,for the SIGGAR investigators (2013) Computed tomographic colonography versus barium enema for diagnosis of colorectal cancer or large polyps in symptomatic patients (SIGGAR): a multicentre randomised trial Lancet. 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62124-2.
- Williams K,Beeken RJ,Wardle J (2013) Health behaviour advice to cancer patients: the perspective of social network members Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2013.38.
- Llewellyn CH,Trzaskowski M,Plomin R,Wardle J (2013) Finding the missing heritability in pediatric obesity: the contribution of genome-wide complex trait analysis Int J Obes (Lond). 10.1038/ijo.2013.30.
- Lawson V,Wardle J (2013) A qualitative exploration of the health promotion effects of varying body size in photographs analyzed using Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis Body Image, 10(1), 85 - 94. 10.1016/j.bodyim.2012.08.005.
- Schrempft S,van Jaarsveld CH,Fisher A,Wardle J (2013) Family and infant characteristics associated with timing of core and non-core food introduction in early childhood Eur J Clin Nutr. 10.1038/ejcn.2013.63.
- Beeken RJ,Spanos D,Fovargue S,Hunter R,Omar R,Hassiotis A,King M,Wardle J,Croker H (2013) Piloting a manualised weight management programme (Shape Up-LD) for overweight and obese persons with mild-moderate learning disabilities: study protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial Trials, 14(1), 71. 10.1186/1745-6215-14-71.
- Forbes LJ,Simon AE,Warburton F,Boniface D,Brain KE,Dessaix A,Donnelly C,Haynes K,Hvidberg L,Lagerlund M,Lockwood G,Tishelman C,Vedsted P,Vigmostad MN,Ramirez AJ,Wardle J,International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership Module 2 Working Group (2013) Differences in cancer awareness and beliefs between Australia, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and the UK (the International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership): do they contribute to differences in cancer survival? Br J Cancer, 108(2), 292 - 300. 10.1038/bjc.2012.542.
- Steptoe A,Shankar A,Demakakos P,Wardle J (2013) Social isolation, loneliness, and all-cause mortality in older men and women Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 10.1073/pnas.1219686110.
- Robb KA,Lo SH,Power E,Kralj-Hans I,Edwards R,Vance M,von Wagner C,Atkin W,Wardle J (2012) Patient-reported outcomes following flexible sigmoidoscopy screening for colorectal cancer in a demonstration screening programme in the UK J Med Screen, 19(4), 171 - 176. 10.1258/jms.2012.012129.
- Evans RE,Beeken RJ,Steptoe APA,Wardle J (2012) Cancer information and anxiety: applying the extended parallel process model Journal of Health Psychology, 17, 579 - 589.
- Gardner B,Lally P,Wardle J (2012) Making health habitual: the psychology of 'habit-formation' and general practice Br J Gen Pract, 62(605), 664 - 666. 10.3399/bjgp12X659466.
- Jackowska M,Von Wagner C,Wardle J,Juszczyk D,Luszczynska A,Waller J (2012) Cervical screening among migrant women: a qualitative study of Polish, Slovak and Romanian women in London, UK Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care, 38(4), 229 - 238.
- Beeken RJ,Croker H,Morris S,Leurent B,Omar R,Nazareth I,Wardle J (2012) Study protocol for the 10 Top Tips (10TT) Trial: Randomised controlled trial of habit-based advice for weight control in general practice BMC Public Health, 16(12(1)).
- Gardner B,Croker H,Barr S,Briley A,Poston L,Wardle J (2012) Psychological predictors of dietary intentions in pregnancy Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 25, 345 - 353.
- French SA,Epstein LH,Jeffery RW,Blundell JE,Wardle J (2012) Eating behavior dimensions. Associations with energy intake and body weight. A review Appetite, 59(2), 541 - 549. 10.1016/j.appet.2012.07.001.
- McGowan L,Cooke LJ,Croker H,Wardle J,Gardner B (2012) Habit-formation as a novel theoretical framework for dietary change in preschoolers Psychology & Health, 27, 89 - 89.
- Crocker H,Beeken R,Hassiotis A,Fovargue S,Omar R,Hunter R,King M,Wardle J (2012) 'Shape Up-LD': Piloting a manualised weight management programme for persons with mild-moderate intellectual disabilities Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 56(7-8), 671 - 671.
- Marlow LAV,Robb KA,Simon AE,Waller J,Wardle J (2012) Awareness of cancer risk factors among ethnic minority groups in England British Journal of Cancer, 126(8), 702 - 709.
- Morris S,Baio G,Kendall, E ,von Wagner C,Wardle J,Atkin W,Halloran S,Handley G,Logan R,Obichere A,Rainbow S,Smith S,Snowball J,Raine R (2012) Socioeconomic variation in uptake of colonoscopy following a positive Faecal Occult Blood test result: a retrospective analysis of the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme British Journal of Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2012.303.
- Ghanouni A,Smith S,Halligan S,Plumb A,Boone D,Wardle J,Magee M,Von Wagner C (2012) Public perceptions and preferences for CT colonography or colonoscopy in colorectal cancer screening Patient Education and Counseling, 89(1), 116 - 121.
- Manchanda R,Loggenberg K,Gessler S,Sanderson S,Balogun N,Wardle J,Tomlinson I,McGuire A,Beller U,Side L,Menon U,Jacobs I (2012) Population based testing for high-penetrance dominant gene mutations: initial results from the pilot phase of GCaPPS International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, 22, S42 - S43.
- Forster AS,Marlow LA,Stephenson J,Wardle J,Waller J (2012) Human papillomavirus vaccination and sexual behaviour: cross-sectional and longitudinal surveys conducted in England Vaccine, 30(33), 4939 - 4944. 10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.05.053.
- von Wagner C,Ghanouni A,Smith S,Yao GL,Lilford R,Zhu S,Halligan S,Wardle J (2012) Evaluating the quality of conjoint analysis studies on public preferences for colorectal cancer screening tests: a systematic review Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 43, S91 - S91.
- Whitaker KL,Simon AE,Beeken RJ,Wardle J (2012) Do the British public recognise differences in survival between three common cancers? Br J Cancer, 106(12), 1907 - 1909. 10.1038/bjc.2012.185.
- Steptoe APA,Demakakos P,De Oliveira C,Wardle J (2012) Distinctive biological correlates of positive psychological well-being in older men and women Psychosom Med, 74(5), 501 - 508. 10.1097/PSY.0b013e31824f82c8.
- Lally P,Cooke L,McGowan L,Croker H,Bartle N,Wardle J (2012) Parents’ misperceptions of social norms for pre-school children's snacking behaviour Public Health Nutrition, 15(9), 1678 - 1682. 10.1017/S1368980012000328.
- Steptoe APA,Wardle J (2012) Enjoying life and living longer Arch Intern Med, 172(3), 273 - 275. 10.1001/archinternmed.2011.1028.
- Meisel SF,Shankar A,Kivimaki M,Wardle J (2012) Consent to DNA collection in epidemiological studies: findings from the Whitehall II cohort and the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Genet Med, 14(2), 201 - 206. 10.1038/gim.0b013e31822e5778.
- Croker H,Viner RM,Nicholls D,Haroun D,Chadwick P,Edwards C,Wells JC,Wardle J (2012) Family-based behavioural treatment of childhood obesity in a UK National Health Service setting: randomized controlled trial Int J Obes (Lond), 36(1), 16 - 26. 10.1038/ijo.2011.182.
- Steptoe A,Wardle J (2012) Reply to Daly: Recalled versus experienced affect as predictors of mortality Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, 109(18), e1050. 10.1073/pnas.1203270109.
- Fisher A,van Jaarsveld CHM,Llewellyn CH,Wardle J (2012) Genetic and environmental influences on Infant sleep Pediatrics, 129(6), 1091 - 1096. 10.1542/peds.2011-1571.
- Meisel SF,Beeken RJ,van Jaarsveld CHM,Wardle J (2012) Genetic test feedback with weight control advice: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial Trials, 13.
- Añez E,Remington A,Wardle J,Cooke L (2012) The impact of instrumental feeding on children's responses to taste exposure Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Simon AE,Forbes LJ,Boniface D,Warburton F,Brain KE,Dessaix A,Donnelly M,Haynes K,Hvidberg L,Lagerlund M,Petermann L,Tishelman C,Vedsted P,Vigmostad MN,Wardle J,Ramirez AJ,ICBP Module 2 Working Group, ICBP Programme Board and Academic Reference Group (2012) An international measure of awareness and beliefs about cancer: development and testing of the ABC BMJ Open, 2(6). 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001758.
- Waller J,Macedo A,von Wagner C,Simon AE,Jones C,Hammersley V,Weller D,Wardle J,Campbell C (2012) Communication about colorectal cancer screening in Britain: public preferences for an expert recommendation Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2012.512.
- Boxell EM,Smith SG,Morris M,Kummer S,Rowlands G,Waller J,Wardle J,Simon AE (2012) Increasing awareness of gynecological cancer symptoms and reducing barriers to medical help seeking: does health literacy play a role? J Health Commun, 17 Suppl 3, 265 - 279. 10.1080/10810730.2012.712617.
- Hall NJ,Rubin GP,Weller D,Wardle J,Dobson C,Ritchie M,Rees C (2012) Understanding non-participation in bowel cancer screening: a qualitative study Gut, 61, A335 - A335. 10.1136/gutjnl-2012-302514d.94.
- Lo SH,Snowball J,Halloran S,Wardle J,Von Wagner C (2012) The impact of media coverage of the Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Trial on English colorectal screening uptake Journal of Medical Screening, 19(2), 83 - 88.
- von Wagner C,Jones C,Waller J,Simon A,Hammersley V,Campbell C,Wardle J (2012) Decision-making preferences in cancer screening: results from a nationally representative survey Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 43, S135 - S135.
- von Wagner C,Ghanouni A,Halligan S,Smith S,Dadswell E,Lilford RJ,Morton D,Atkin W,Wardle J,SIGGAR Investigators (2012) Patient acceptability and psychologic consequences of CT colonography compared with those of colonoscopy: results from a multicenter randomized controlled trial of symptomatic patients Radiology, 263(3), 723 - 731. 10.1148/radiol.12111523.
- Meisel SF,Walker C,Wardle J (2012) Psychological responses to genetic testing for weight gain: a vignette study Obesity (Silver Spring), 20(3), 540 - 546. 10.1038/oby.2011.324.
- Caswell S,Craigie AM,Wardle J,Stead M,Anderson A (2012) Detailed protocol for the lifestyle intervention in the BeWEL randomised controlled trial of weight loss in adults who have had a colorectal adenoma BMJ OPEN, 2(3). 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001276.
- von Wagner C,Good A,Whitaker KL,Wardle J (2011) Psychosocial determinants of socioeconomic inequalities in cancer screening participation: a conceptual framework Epidemiologic Reviews, 33(1), 135 - 147. 10.1093/epirev/mxq018.
- Johnson L,van Jaarsveld CH,Wardle J (2011) Individual and family environment correlates differ for consumption of core and non-core foods in children Br J Nutr, 105(6), 950 - 959. 10.1017/S0007114510004484.
- Lally P,Wardle J,Gardner B (2011) Experiences of habit formation: A qualitative study Psychology, Health & Medicine, 16(4), 484 - 489. 10.1080/13548506.2011.555774.
- Shoneye C,Croker H,Steptoe APA,Wardle J (2011) Body sizes in print media: are there ethnic differences? A brief report Eating and Weight Disorders, 16, e212 - e215.
- Shoneye S,Johnson F,Steptoe A,Wardle J (2011) A qualitative analysis of black and white British women's attitudes to weight and weight control Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 24(6), 536 - 542. 10.1111/j.1365-277X.2011.01198.x.
- Johnson F,Wardle J (2011) Socio-economic status and obesity: epidemiology and explanations Psychologist, 24(12), 893 - 893.
- Carnell S,Cooke L,Cheng R,Robbins A,Wardle J (2011) Parental feeding behaviours and motivations. A qualitative study in mothers of UK pre-schoolers Appetite, 57(3), 665 - 673.
- 1986: Doctor of Philosophy, University of London
- 1973: Bachelor of Arts, University of Oxford
- 195: Master of Philosophy, University of London