Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Jane Wardle
Telephone:0207 679 1734
Fax:0207 679 8354
Address:203 Health Behaviour Research Centre,
1-19 Torrington Place,
Appointments:Professor of Clinical Psychology, Epidemiology & Public Health, Institute of Epidemiology & HealthProfessor of Clinical Psychology Director Health Behaviour Research Centre, Epidemiology & Public Health, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
- Behavioural, pharmacological and social factors in tobacco dependence
- Cancer fear systematic review and meta-synthesis
- Colorectal cancer imaging
- Psychobiology of health and disease
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- von Wagner C,Macedo A,Campbell C,Simon AE,Wardle J,Hammersley V,Weller D,Waller J (2013) Continuing cancer screening later in life: attitudes and intentions among older adults in England. Age Ageing. 10.1093/ageing/aft132.
- Lawson V,Wardle J (2013) A qualitative exploration of the health promotion effects of varying body size in photographs analyzed using Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis Body Image, 10(1), 85 - 94. 10.1016/j.bodyim.2012.08.005.
- Ghanouni A,Wardle J,von Wagner C,Halligan S,Taylor SA,Boone D,Plumb A (2013) Evaluating patients' preferences for type of bowel preparation prior to screening CT colonography: Convenience and comfort versus sensitivity and specificity Clinical Radiology. 10.1016/j.crad.2013.06.018.
- Poston L,Briley AL,Coxon K,Hunt C,Howard LM,Khazaezadeh N,Oteng-Ntim E,Seed PT,Sandall J,Barr S,Sanders TAB,Bell R,Hayes L,Robson SC,Essex HN,Croker H,Wardle J,Nelson SM,Sattar N,Kinnunen T (2013) Developing a complex intervention for diet and activity behaviour change in obese pregnant women (the UPBEAT trial); Assessment of behavioural change and process evaluation in a pilot randomised controlled trial BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 13. 10.1186/1471-2393-13-148.
- Ghanouni A,Smith SG,Halligan S,Plumb A,Boone D,Yao GL,Zhu S,Lilford R,Wardle J,von Wagner C (2013) Public preferences for colorectal cancer screening tests: a review of conjoint analysis studies. Expert Rev Med Devices, 10(4), 489 - 499. 10.1586/17434440.2013.811867.
- Smith SG,Vart G,Wolf MS,Obichere A,Baker HJ,Raine R,Wardle J,von Wagner C (2013) How do people interpret information about colorectal cancer screening: observations from a think-aloud study. Health Expect. 10.1111/hex.12117.
- Beeken RJ,Wardle J (2013) Public beliefs about the causes of obesity and attitudes towards policy initiatives in Great Britain. Public Health Nutr, 1 - 6. 10.1017/S1368980013001821.
- Low EL,Simon AE,Waller J,Wardle J,Menon U (2013) Experience of symptoms indicative of gynaecological cancers in UK women. Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2013.412.
- Meisel SF,Side L,Fraser L,Gessler S,Wardle J,Lanceley A (2013) Population-Based, Risk-Stratified Genetic Testing for Ovarian Cancer Risk: A Focus Group Study. Public Health Genomics. 10.1159/000352028.
- McGowan L,Cooke LJ,Gardner B,Beeken R,Croker H,Wardle J (2013) Healthy feeding habits: efficacy results from a cluster-randomized, controlled exploratory trial of a novel, habit-based intervention with parents American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 98(3), 769 - 777. 10.3945/ajcn.112.052159.
- Meisel SF,Wardle J (2013) 'Battling my Biology': Psychological Effects of Genetic Testing for Risk of Weight Gain. J Genet Couns. 10.1007/s10897-013-9628-9.
- Williams K,Steptoe A,Wardle J (2013) Is a cancer diagnosis a trigger for health behaviour change? Findings from a prospective, population-based study Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2013.254.
- Atkin W,Dadswell E,Wooldrage K,Kralj-Hans I,von Wagner C,Edwards R,Yao G,Kay C,Burling D,Faiz O,Teare J,Lilford RJ,Morton D,Wardle J,Halligan S,SIGGAR investigators (2013) Computed tomographic colonography versus colonoscopy for investigation of patients with symptoms suggestive of colorectal cancer (SIGGAR): a multicentre randomised trial Lancet, 381(9873), 1194 - 1202. 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62186-2.
- Waller J,Douglas E,Whitaker KL,Wardle J (2013) Women's responses to information about overdiagnosis in the UK breast cancer screening programme: a qualitative study BMJ Open, 3(4). 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-002703.
- Llewellyn CH,Trzaskowski M,Plomin R,Wardle J (2013) Finding the missing heritability in pediatric obesity: the contribution of genome-wide complex trait analysis Int.J.Obes.(Lond). 10.1038/ijo.2013.30.
- Steptoe A,Shankar A,Demakakos P,Wardle J (2013) Social isolation, loneliness, and all-cause mortality in older men and women Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 10.1073/pnas.1219686110.
- Schrempft S,van Jaarsveld CH,Fisher A,Wardle J (2013) Family and infant characteristics associated with timing of core and non-core food introduction in early childhood Eur J Clin Nutr. 10.1038/ejcn.2013.63.
- Beeken RJ,Spanos D,Fovargue S,Hunter R,Omar R,Hassiotis A,King M,Wardle J,Croker H (2013) Piloting a manualised weight management programme (Shape Up-LD) for overweight and obese persons with mild-moderate learning disabilities: study protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial Trials, 14(1), 71. 10.1186/1745-6215-14-71.
- Forbes LJ,Simon AE,Warburton F,Boniface D,Brain KE,Dessaix A,Donnelly C,Haynes K,Hvidberg L,Lagerlund M,Lockwood G,Tishelman C,Vedsted P,Vigmostad MN,Ramirez AJ,Wardle J,International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership Module 2 Working Group (2013) Differences in cancer awareness and beliefs between Australia, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and the UK (the International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership): do they contribute to differences in cancer survival? Br J Cancer, 108(2), 292 - 300. 10.1038/bjc.2012.542.
- Halligan S,Wooldrage K,Dadswell E,Kralj-Hans I,von Wagner C,Edwards R,Yao G,Kay C,Burling D,Faiz O,Teare J,Lilford RJ,Morton D,Wardle J,Atkin W,for the SIGGAR investigators (2013) Computed tomographic colonography versus barium enema for diagnosis of colorectal cancer or large polyps in symptomatic patients (SIGGAR): a multicentre randomised trial Lancet. 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62124-2.
- Williams K,Beeken RJ,Wardle J (2013) Health behaviour advice to cancer patients: the perspective of social network members Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2013.38.
- Smith SG,Wolf MS,Obichere A,Raine R,Wardle J,von Wagner C (2013) The development and testing of a brief ('gist-based') supplementary colorectal cancer screening information leaflet. Patient Educ Couns. 10.1016/j.pec.2013.08.013.
- Simon AE,Forbes LJ,Boniface D,Warburton F,Brain KE,Dessaix A,Donnelly M,Haynes K,Hvidberg L,Lagerlund M,Petermann L,Tishelman C,Vedsted P,Vigmostad MN,Wardle J,Ramirez AJ,ICBP Module 2 Working Group, ICBP Programme Board and Academic Reference Group (2012) An international measure of awareness and beliefs about cancer: development and testing of the ABC BMJ Open, 2(6). 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001758.
- Waller J,Jackowska M,Marlow L,Wardle J (2012) Exploring age differences in reasons for nonattendance for cervical screening: a qualitative study BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 119(1), 26 - 32. 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03030.x.
- Gardner B,Croker H,Barr S,Briley A,Poston L,Wardle J (2012) Psychological predictors of dietary intentions in pregnancy Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 25, 345 - 353.
- Crocker H,Beeken R,Hassiotis A,Fovargue S,Omar R,Hunter R,King M,Wardle J (2012) 'Shape Up-LD': Piloting a manualised weight management programme for persons with mild-moderate intellectual disabilities Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 56(7-8), 671 - 671.
- Morris S,Baio G,Kendall, E ,von Wagner C,Wardle J,Atkin W,Halloran S,Handley G,Logan R,Obichere A,Rainbow S,Smith S,Snowball J,Raine R (2012) Socioeconomic variation in uptake of colonoscopy following a positive Faecal Occult Blood test result: a retrospective analysis of the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme British Journal of Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2012.303.
- Manchanda R,Loggenberg K,Gessler S,Sanderson S,Balogun N,Wardle J,Tomlinson I,McGuire A,Beller U,Side L,Menon U,Jacobs I (2012) Population based testing for high-penetrance dominant gene mutations: initial results from the pilot phase of GCaPPS International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, 22, S42 - S43.
- Forster AS,Marlow LA,Stephenson J,Wardle J,Waller J (2012) Human papillomavirus vaccination and sexual behaviour: cross-sectional and longitudinal surveys conducted in England Vaccine, 30(33), 4939 - 4944. 10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.05.053.
- Steptoe APA,Demakakos P,De Oliveira C,Wardle J (2012) Distinctive biological correlates of positive psychological well-being in older men and women Psychosom Med, 74(5), 501 - 508. 10.1097/PSY.0b013e31824f82c8.
- Simon AE,Juszczyk D,Smyth N,Power E,Hiom S,Peake MD,Wardle J (2012) Knowledge of lung cancer symptoms and risk factors in the UK: development of a measure and results from a population-based survey Thorax, 67(5), 426 - 432. 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2011-200898.
- Lally P,Cooke L,McGowan L,Croker H,Bartle N,Wardle J (2012) Parents’ misperceptions of social norms for pre-school children's snacking behaviour Public Health Nutrition, 15(9), 1678 - 1682. 10.1017/S1368980012000328.
- Steptoe APA,Wardle J (2012) Enjoying life and living longer Arch Intern Med, 172(3), 273 - 275. 10.1001/archinternmed.2011.1028.
- Meisel SF,Shankar A,Kivimaki M,Wardle J (2012) Consent to DNA collection in epidemiological studies: findings from the Whitehall II cohort and the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Genet Med, 14(2), 201 - 206. 10.1038/gim.0b013e31822e5778.
- McGowan L,Croker H,Wardle J,Cooke LJ (2012) Environmental and individual determinants of core and non-core food and drink intake in preschool-aged children in the United Kingdom European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 66(3), 322 - 328. 10.1038/ejcn.2011.224.
- Remington A,Annez E,Croker H,Wardle J,Cooke L (2012) Increasing food acceptance in the home setting: a randomized controlled trial of parent-administered taste exposure with incentives American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 95(1), 72 - 77. 10.3945/ajcn.111.024596.
- Robb KA,Lo SH,Power E,Kralj-Hans I,Edwards R,Vance M,von Wagner C,Atkin W,Wardle J (2012) Patient-reported outcomes following flexible sigmoidoscopy screening for colorectal cancer in a demonstration screening programme in the UK J Med Screen, 19(4), 171 - 176. 10.1258/jms.2012.012129.
- Caswell S,Craigie AM,Wardle J,Stead M,Anderson A (2012) Detailed protocol for the lifestyle intervention in the BeWEL randomised controlled trial of weight loss in adults who have had a colorectal adenoma BMJ OPEN, 2(3). 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001276.
- Meisel SF,Beeken RJ,van Jaarsveld CHM,Wardle J (2012) Genetic test feedback with weight control advice: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial Trials, 13. 10.1186/1745-6215-13-235.
- Croker H,Lucas R,Wardle J (2012) Cluster-randomised trial to evaluate the ‘Change for Life’ mass media/ social marketing campaign in the UK BMC Public Health, 12(1), 404 - 404. 10.1186/1471-2458-12-404.
- Añez E,Remington A,Wardle J,Cooke L (2012) The impact of instrumental feeding on children's responses to taste exposure Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 10.1111/jhn.12028.
- Gardner B,Lally P,Wardle J (2012) Making health habitual: the psychology of 'habit-formation' and general practice Br J Gen Pract, 62(605), 664 - 666. 10.3399/bjgp12X659466.
- Waller J,Macedo A,von Wagner C,Simon AE,Jones C,Hammersley V,Weller D,Wardle J,Campbell C (2012) Communication about colorectal cancer screening in Britain: public preferences for an expert recommendation Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2012.512.
- Beeken RJ,Croker H,Morris S,Leurent B,Omar R,Nazareth I,Wardle J (2012) Study protocol for the 10 Top Tips (10TT) Trial: Randomised controlled trial of habit-based advice for weight control in general practice BMC Public Health, 16(12(1)).
- French SA,Epstein LH,Jeffery RW,Blundell JE,Wardle J (2012) Eating behavior dimensions. Associations with energy intake and body weight. A review Appetite, 59(2), 541 - 549. 10.1016/j.appet.2012.07.001.
- McGowan L,Cooke LJ,Croker H,Wardle J,Gardner B (2012) Habit-formation as a novel theoretical framework for dietary change in preschoolers Psychology & Health, 27, 89 - 89.
- Boxell EM,Smith SG,Morris M,Kummer S,Rowlands G,Waller J,Wardle J,Simon AE (2012) Increasing awareness of gynecological cancer symptoms and reducing barriers to medical help seeking: does health literacy play a role? J Health Commun, 17 Suppl 3, 265 - 279. 10.1080/10810730.2012.712617.
- Hall NJ,Rubin GP,Weller D,Wardle J,Dobson C,Ritchie M,Rees C (2012) Understanding non-participation in bowel cancer screening: a qualitative study Gut, 61, A335 - A335. 10.1136/gutjnl-2012-302514d.94.
- Marlow LAV,Robb KA,Simon AE,Waller J,Wardle J (2012) Awareness of cancer risk factors among ethnic minority groups in England British Journal of Cancer, 126(8), 702 - 709.
- Ghanouni A,Smith S,Halligan S,Plumb A,Boone D,Wardle J,Magee M,Von Wagner C (2012) Public perceptions and preferences for CT colonography or colonoscopy in colorectal cancer screening Patient Education and Counseling, 89(1), 116 - 121.
- 1986: Doctor of Philosophy, University of London
- 1973: Bachelor of Arts, University of Oxford
- 195: Master of Philosophy, University of London