Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Jane Wardle
Telephone:0207 679 1734
Fax:0207 679 8354
Address:203 Health Behaviour Research Centre,
1-19 Torrington Place,
Appointments:Professor of Clinical Psychology, Epidemiology & Public Health, Institute of Epidemiology & HealthProfessor of Clinical Psychology Director Health Behaviour Research Centre, Epidemiology & Public Health, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
- Behavioural, pharmacological and social factors in tobacco dependence
- Colorectal cancer imaging
- Psychobiology of health and disease
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- von Wagner C,Macedo A,Campbell C,Simon AE,Wardle J,Hammersley V,Weller D,Waller J (2013) Continuing cancer screening later in life: attitudes and intentions among older adults in England. Age Ageing. 10.1093/ageing/aft132.
- Lawson V,Wardle J (2013) A qualitative exploration of the health promotion effects of varying body size in photographs analyzed using Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis Body Image, 10(1), 85 - 94. 10.1016/j.bodyim.2012.08.005.
- Ghanouni A,Wardle J,von Wagner C,Halligan S,Taylor SA,Boone D,Plumb A (2013) Evaluating patients' preferences for type of bowel preparation prior to screening CT colonography: Convenience and comfort versus sensitivity and specificity Clinical Radiology. 10.1016/j.crad.2013.06.018.
- Poston L,Briley AL,Coxon K,Hunt C,Howard LM,Khazaezadeh N,Oteng-Ntim E,Seed PT,Sandall J,Barr S,Sanders TAB,Bell R,Hayes L,Robson SC,Essex HN,Croker H,Wardle J,Nelson SM,Sattar N,Kinnunen T (2013) Developing a complex intervention for diet and activity behaviour change in obese pregnant women (the UPBEAT trial); Assessment of behavioural change and process evaluation in a pilot randomised controlled trial BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 13. 10.1186/1471-2393-13-148.
- Ghanouni A,Smith SG,Halligan S,Plumb A,Boone D,Yao GL,Zhu S,Lilford R,Wardle J,von Wagner C (2013) Public preferences for colorectal cancer screening tests: a review of conjoint analysis studies. Expert Rev Med Devices, 10(4), 489 - 499. 10.1586/17434440.2013.811867.
- Smith SG,Vart G,Wolf MS,Obichere A,Baker HJ,Raine R,Wardle J,von Wagner C (2013) How do people interpret information about colorectal cancer screening: observations from a think-aloud study. Health Expect. 10.1111/hex.12117.
- McGowan L,Cooke LJ,Gardner B,Beeken R,Croker H,Wardle J (2013) Healthy feeding habits: efficacy results from a cluster-randomized, controlled exploratory trial of a novel, habit-based intervention with parents American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 98(3), 769 - 777. 10.3945/ajcn.112.052159.
- Beeken RJ,Wardle J (2013) Public beliefs about the causes of obesity and attitudes towards policy initiatives in Great Britain. Public Health Nutr, 1 - 6. 10.1017/S1368980013001821.
- Low EL,Simon AE,Waller J,Wardle J,Menon U (2013) Experience of symptoms indicative of gynaecological cancers in UK women. Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2013.412.
- Meisel SF,Wardle J (2013) 'Battling my Biology': Psychological Effects of Genetic Testing for Risk of Weight Gain. J Genet Couns. 10.1007/s10897-013-9628-9.
- Meisel SF,Side L,Fraser L,Gessler S,Wardle J,Lanceley A (2013) Population-Based, Risk-Stratified Genetic Testing for Ovarian Cancer Risk: A Focus Group Study. Public Health Genomics. 10.1159/000352028.
- Williams K,Steptoe A,Wardle J (2013) Is a cancer diagnosis a trigger for health behaviour change? Findings from a prospective, population-based study Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2013.254.
- Llewellyn CH,Trzaskowski M,Plomin R,Wardle J (2013) Finding the missing heritability in pediatric obesity: the contribution of genome-wide complex trait analysis Int.J.Obes.(Lond). 10.1038/ijo.2013.30.
- Schrempft S,van Jaarsveld CH,Fisher A,Wardle J (2013) Family and infant characteristics associated with timing of core and non-core food introduction in early childhood Eur J Clin Nutr. 10.1038/ejcn.2013.63.
- Forbes LJ,Simon AE,Warburton F,Boniface D,Brain KE,Dessaix A,Donnelly C,Haynes K,Hvidberg L,Lagerlund M,Lockwood G,Tishelman C,Vedsted P,Vigmostad MN,Ramirez AJ,Wardle J,International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership Module 2 Working Group (2013) Differences in cancer awareness and beliefs between Australia, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and the UK (the International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership): do they contribute to differences in cancer survival? Br J Cancer, 108(2), 292 - 300. 10.1038/bjc.2012.542.
- Halligan S,Wooldrage K,Dadswell E,Kralj-Hans I,von Wagner C,Edwards R,Yao G,Kay C,Burling D,Faiz O,Teare J,Lilford RJ,Morton D,Wardle J,Atkin W,for the SIGGAR investigators (2013) Computed tomographic colonography versus barium enema for diagnosis of colorectal cancer or large polyps in symptomatic patients (SIGGAR): a multicentre randomised trial Lancet. 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62124-2.
- Atkin W,Dadswell E,Wooldrage K,Kralj-Hans I,von Wagner C,Edwards R,Yao G,Kay C,Burling D,Faiz O,Teare J,Lilford RJ,Morton D,Wardle J,Halligan S,SIGGAR investigators (2013) Computed tomographic colonography versus colonoscopy for investigation of patients with symptoms suggestive of colorectal cancer (SIGGAR): a multicentre randomised trial Lancet, 381(9873), 1194 - 1202. 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62186-2.
- Waller J,Douglas E,Whitaker KL,Wardle J (2013) Women's responses to information about overdiagnosis in the UK breast cancer screening programme: a qualitative study BMJ Open, 3(4). 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-002703.
- Steptoe A,Shankar A,Demakakos P,Wardle J (2013) Social isolation, loneliness, and all-cause mortality in older men and women Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 10.1073/pnas.1219686110.
- Beeken RJ,Spanos D,Fovargue S,Hunter R,Omar R,Hassiotis A,King M,Wardle J,Croker H (2013) Piloting a manualised weight management programme (Shape Up-LD) for overweight and obese persons with mild-moderate learning disabilities: study protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial Trials, 14(1), 71. 10.1186/1745-6215-14-71.
- Williams K,Beeken RJ,Wardle J (2013) Health behaviour advice to cancer patients: the perspective of social network members Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2013.38.
- Smith SG,Wolf MS,Obichere A,Raine R,Wardle J,von Wagner C (2013) The development and testing of a brief ('gist-based') supplementary colorectal cancer screening information leaflet. Patient Educ Couns. 10.1016/j.pec.2013.08.013.
- Beeken RJ,Croker H,Morris S,Leurent B,Omar R,Nazareth I,Wardle J (2012) Study protocol for the 10 Top Tips (10TT) Trial: Randomised controlled trial of habit-based advice for weight control in general practice BMC Public Health, 16(12(1)).
- Johnson F,Pratt M,Wardle J (2012) Dietary restraint and self-regulation in eating behavior International Journal of Obesity, 36(5), 665 - 674. 10.1038/ijo.2011.156.
- Marlow LAV,Robb KA,Simon AE,Waller J,Wardle J (2012) Awareness of cancer risk factors among ethnic minority groups in England British Journal of Cancer, 126(8), 702 - 709.
- Morris S,Baio G,Kendall, E ,von Wagner C,Wardle J,Atkin W,Halloran S,Handley G,Logan R,Obichere A,Rainbow S,Smith S,Snowball J,Raine R (2012) Socioeconomic variation in uptake of colonoscopy following a positive Faecal Occult Blood test result: a retrospective analysis of the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme British Journal of Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2012.303.
- Ghanouni A,Smith S,Halligan S,Plumb A,Boone D,Wardle J,Magee M,Von Wagner C (2012) Public perceptions and preferences for CT colonography or colonoscopy in colorectal cancer screening Patient Education and Counseling, 89(1), 116 - 121.
- Whitaker KL,Simon AE,Beeken RJ,Wardle J (2012) Do the British public recognise differences in survival between three common cancers? Br J Cancer, 106(12), 1907 - 1909. 10.1038/bjc.2012.185.
- Steptoe APA,Demakakos P,De Oliveira C,Wardle J (2012) Distinctive biological correlates of positive psychological well-being in older men and women Psychosom Med, 74(5), 501 - 508. 10.1097/PSY.0b013e31824f82c8.
- Simon AE,Juszczyk D,Smyth N,Power E,Hiom S,Peake MD,Wardle J (2012) Knowledge of lung cancer symptoms and risk factors in the UK: development of a measure and results from a population-based survey Thorax, 67(5), 426 - 432. 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2011-200898.
- Lally P,Cooke L,McGowan L,Croker H,Bartle N,Wardle J (2012) Parents’ misperceptions of social norms for pre-school children's snacking behaviour Public Health Nutrition, 15(9), 1678 - 1682. 10.1017/S1368980012000328.
- van Jaarsveld CHM,Llewellyn CH,Fildes A,Fisher A,Wardle J (2012) Are my twins identical: parents may be misinformed by prenatal scan observations BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 119(5), 517 - 518. 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2012.03281.x.
- Steptoe A,Wardle J (2012) Enjoying Life and Living Longer Archives of Internal Medicine, 172(3), 273 - 273. 10.1001/archinternmed.2011.1028.
- Llewellyn CH,van Jaarsveld CH,Plomin R,Fisher A,Wardle J (2012) Inherited behavioral susceptibility to adiposity in infancy: a multivariate genetic analysis of appetite and weight in the Gemini birth cohort American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 95(3), 633 - 639. 10.3945/ajcn.111.023671.
- Meisel SF,Shankar A,Kivimaki M,Wardle J (2012) Consent to DNA collection in epidemiological studies: findings from the Whitehall II cohort and the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Genet Med, 14(2), 201 - 206. 10.1038/gim.0b013e31822e5778.
- Simon AE,Wardle J,Grimmett C,Power E,Corker E,Menon U,Matheson L,Waller J (2012) Ovarian and cervical cancer awareness: development of two validated measurement tools Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care, 38(3), 167 - 174. 10.1136/jfprhc-2011-100118.
- Waller J,Jackowska M,Marlow L,Wardle J (2012) Exploring age differences in reasons for nonattendance for cervical screening: a qualitative study BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 119(1), 26 - 32. 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03030.x.
- Gardner B,Lally P,Wardle J (2012) Making health habitual: the psychology of 'habit-formation' and general practice Br J Gen Pract, 62(605), 664 - 666. 10.3399/bjgp12X659466.
- Jackowska M,Von Wagner C,Wardle J,Juszczyk D,Luszczynska A,Waller J (2012) Cervical screening among migrant women: a qualitative study of Polish, Slovak and Romanian women in London, UK Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care, 38(4), 229 - 238.
- Robb KA,Lo SH,Power E,Kralj-Hans I,Edwards R,Vance M,von Wagner C,Atkin W,Wardle J (2012) Patient-reported outcomes following flexible sigmoidoscopy screening for colorectal cancer in a demonstration screening programme in the UK J Med Screen, 19(4), 171 - 176. 10.1258/jms.2012.012129.
- Caswell S,Craigie AM,Wardle J,Stead M,Anderson A (2012) Detailed protocol for the lifestyle intervention in the BeWEL randomised controlled trial of weight loss in adults who have had a colorectal adenoma BMJ OPEN, 2(3). 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001276.
- Meisel SF,Beeken RJ,van Jaarsveld CHM,Wardle J (2012) Genetic test feedback with weight control advice: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial Trials, 13. 10.1186/1745-6215-13-235.
- Croker H,Lucas R,Wardle J (2012) Cluster-randomised trial to evaluate the ‘Change for Life’ mass media/ social marketing campaign in the UK BMC Public Health, 12(1), 404 - 404. 10.1186/1471-2458-12-404.
- Añez E,Remington A,Wardle J,Cooke L (2012) The impact of instrumental feeding on children's responses to taste exposure Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 10.1111/jhn.12028.
- Simon AE,Forbes LJ,Boniface D,Warburton F,Brain KE,Dessaix A,Donnelly M,Haynes K,Hvidberg L,Lagerlund M,Petermann L,Tishelman C,Vedsted P,Vigmostad MN,Wardle J,Ramirez AJ,ICBP Module 2 Working Group, ICBP Programme Board and Academic Reference Group (2012) An international measure of awareness and beliefs about cancer: development and testing of the ABC BMJ Open, 2(6). 10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001758.
- Waller J,Macedo A,von Wagner C,Simon AE,Jones C,Hammersley V,Weller D,Wardle J,Campbell C (2012) Communication about colorectal cancer screening in Britain: public preferences for an expert recommendation Br J Cancer. 10.1038/bjc.2012.512.
- Gardner B,Croker H,Barr S,Briley A,Poston L,Wardle J (2012) Psychological predictors of dietary intentions in pregnancy Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 25, 345 - 353.
- McGowan L,Cooke LJ,Croker H,Wardle J,Gardner B (2012) Habit-formation as a novel theoretical framework for dietary change in preschoolers Psychology & Health, 27, 89 - 89.
- Crocker H,Beeken R,Hassiotis A,Fovargue S,Omar R,Hunter R,King M,Wardle J (2012) 'Shape Up-LD': Piloting a manualised weight management programme for persons with mild-moderate intellectual disabilities Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 56(7-8), 671 - 671.
- Boxell EM,Smith SG,Morris M,Kummer S,Rowlands G,Waller J,Wardle J,Simon AE (2012) Increasing awareness of gynecological cancer symptoms and reducing barriers to medical help seeking: does health literacy play a role? J Health Commun, 17 Suppl 3, 265 - 279. 10.1080/10810730.2012.712617.
- 1986: Doctor of Philosophy, University of London
- 1973: Bachelor of Arts, University of Oxford
- 195: Master of Philosophy, University of London