Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Elizabeth Murray
Fax:020 7281 8004
Appointments:Professor of e-Health and Primary Care, Primary Care & Population Health, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
e-Health Unit - Research programme The e-Health Unit focuses on the use of new information and communication technologies, such as the Internet and video-conferencing, to help people take better care of their health. The original impetus for developing the e-Health unit came from Elizabeth Murray's Department of Health Career Scientist Award (2002 + 07), which was awarded for a programme of research to determine the effect of Interactive Health Communication Applications for people with chronic disease on health outcomes, health service utilisation, and the doctor-patient relationship. To this was subsequently added the e-Health research programme developed by Paul Wallace and funded by the HTA and DH. This includes a series of studies examining the process and outcomes of joint teleconferenced medical consultations (the Virtual Outreach project), and the potential effectiveness of interactive programmes delivering CBT for depression, and motivational and other interventions for excessive alcohol consumption. An early success for the unit was the successful submission of Cicely Kerr for a DH researcher development award (2004 + 08) for a PhD to determine how Internet Interventions benefit people with chronic disease. The unit has subsequently expanded its focus to include health promotion, with an MRC-funded RCT of an on-line programme to help non-dependent heavy drinkers drink less alcohol, and a NoCLoR fellowship to explore the potential of sexual health promotion websites for young people in improving sexual health. For more information on each of our projects, please see our e-Health Unit website: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/pcph/research/ehealth/index.htm
- Clinical trials
- Computer-based diabetes self-management interventions for adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Health care professional - patient communication/interactions
- New technologies for better health
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Murray E,White IR,Varagunam M,Godfrey C,Khadjesari Z,McCambridge J (2013) Attrition revisited: adherence and retention in a web-based alcohol trial. J Med Internet Res, 15(8), e162. 10.2196/jmir.2336.
- Murray E,Khadjesari Z,Linke S,Hunter R,Freemantle N (2013) Health on the web: randomised trial of work-based online screening and brief intervention for hazardous and harmful drinking. BMC Public Health, 13(1), 505. 10.1186/1471-2458-13-505.
- Pal K,Eastwood SV,Michie S,Farmer AJ,Barnard ML,Peacock R,Wood B,Inniss JD,Murray E (2013) Computer-based diabetes self-management interventions for adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 3, CD008776. 10.1002/14651858.CD008776.pub2.
- Murray E (2013) Screening and brief intervention for alcohol use disorders in primary care. BMJ, 346, e8706.
- Finch TL,Rapley T,Girling M,Mair FS,Murray E,Treweek S,McColl E,Steen IN,May CR (2013) Improving the normalization of complex interventions: measure development based on normalization process theory (NoMAD): study protocol IMPLEMENTATION SCIENCE, 8. 10.1186/1748-5908-8-43.
- Bowes P,Stevenson F,Ahluwalia S,Murray E (2012) 'I need her to be a doctor': patients' experiences of presenting health information from the internet in GP consultations. Br J Gen Pract, 62(604), e732 - e738. 10.3399/bjgp12X658250.
- Murray E,Linke S,Harwood E,Conroy S,Stevenson F,Godfrey C (2012) Widening access to treatment for alcohol misuse: description and formative evaluation of an innovative web-based service in one primary care trust Alcohol Alcohol., 47(6), 697 - 701.
- Mair FS,May C,O'Donnell C,Finch T,Sullivan F,Murray E (2012) Factors that promote or inhibit the implementation of e-health systems: an explanatory systematic review BULLETIN OF THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION, 90(5), 357 - 364. 10.2471/BLT.11.099424.
- McCarthy O,Carswell K,Murray E,Free C,Stevenson F,Bailey JV (2012) What young people want from a sexual health website: design and development of sexunzipped J.Med.Internet.Res., 14(5), e127.
- Finch TL,Mair FS,O'Donnell C,Murray E,May CR (2012) From theory to 'measurement' in complex interventions: Methodological lessons from the development of an e-health normalisation instrument BMC.Med.Res.Methodol., 12:69. doi: 10.1186/1471-2288-12-69., 69 - 12.
- Bailey JV,Murray E,Rait G,Mercer CH,Morris RW,Peacock R,Cassell J,Nazareth I (2012) Computer-based interventions for sexual health promotion: systematic review and meta-analyses Int.J.STD AIDS., 23(6), 408 - 413.
- Miners A,Harris J,Felix L,Murray E,Michie S,Edwards P (2012) An economic evaluation of adaptive e-learning devices to promote weight loss via dietary change for people with obesity. BMC Health Serv Res, 12, 190. 10.1186/1472-6963-12-190.
- Wallace P,Murray E,McCambridge J,Khadjesari Z,White IR,Thompson SG,Kalaitzaki E,Godfrey C,Linke S (2011) On-line randomized controlled trial of an internet based psychologically enhanced intervention for people with hazardous alcohol consumption. PLoS One, 6(3), e14740. 10.1371/journal.pone.0014740.
- May CR,Finch T,Ballini L,MacFarlane A,Mair F,Murray E,Treweek S,Rapley T (2011) Evaluating complex interventions and health technologies using normalization process theory: development of a simplified approach and web-enabled toolkit BMC HEALTH SERV RES, 11. 10.1186/1472-6963-11-245.
- Harris J,Felix L,Miners A,Murray E,Michie S,Ferguson E,Free C,Lock K,Landon J,Edwards P (2011) Adaptive e-learning to improve dietary behaviour: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis. Health Technol Assess, 15(37), 1 - 160. 10.3310/hta15370.
- Khadjesari Z,Murray E,Hewitt C,Hartley S,Godfrey C (2011) Can stand-alone computer-based interventions reduce alcohol consumption? A systematic review Addiction, 106(2), 267 - 282. 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2010.03214.x.
- McCarthy O,Carswell K,Free C,Stevenson F,Murray E,Hart G,French R,Bailey J (2011) DEVELOPING THE 'SEXUNZIPPED' WEBSITE: YOUNG PEOPLE'S VIEWS ON THE DESIGN AND CONTENT OF AN ONLINE SEXUAL HEALTH INTERVENTION J SEX MED, 8, 294 - 295.
- Bailey J,McCarthy O,Carswell K,Murray E,Rait G,Hart G,Nazareth I,Free C,French R,Stevenson F (2011) THE SEXUNZIPPED WEBSITE FOR SEXUAL WELLBEING FOR YOUNG PEOPLE: EARLY RESULTS OF A PILOT ONLINE RCT J SEX MED, 8, 126 - 126.
- McCambridge J,Kalaitzaki E,White IR,Khadjesari Z,Murray E,Linke S,Thompson SG,Godfrey C,Wallace P (2011) Impact of length or relevance of questionnaires on attrition in online trials: randomized controlled trial. J Med Internet Res, 13(4), e96. 10.2196/jmir.1733.
- KHADJESARI Z,Murray E,Kalaitzaki E,White IR,McCambridge J,Thompson SG,Wallace P,Godfrey C (2011) Impact and Costs of Incentives to Reduce Attrition in Online Trials: Two Randomized Controlled Trials Journal of Medical Internet Research, 13(1). 10.2196/jmir.1523.
- Bailey JV,Murray E,Rait G,Mercer CH,Morris RW,Peacock R,Cssell J (2011) The "lumping or splitting" debate - making systematic review results useful for policy-makers. Evidence-Based Child Health, 6, 2273 - 2274.
- MacFarlane A,Clerkin P,Murray E,Heaney DJ,Wakeling M,Pesola U-M,Waterworth EL,Larsen F,Makiniemi M,Winblad I (2011) The e-health implementation toolkit: qualitative evaluation across four European countries IMPLEMENTATION SCIENCE, 6. 10.1186/1748-5908-6-122.
- Pal K,Eastwood S,Michie S,Farmer A,Peacock R,Murray E (2010) Computer-based diabetes self-management interventions for adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Protocol. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews., 1 - 36.
- Wallace P,Murray E,McCambridge J,Khadjesari Z,White I,Thompson SG,Kalaitzaki E,Godfrey C,Linke S (2010) RANDOMISED CONTROLLED ON-LINE TRIAL OF AN INTERACTIVE WEB-BASED BEHAVIOURAL INTERVENTION TO REDUCE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION AMONGST HAZARDOUS DRINKERS ALCOHOLISM-CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCH, 34(6), 295A - 295A.
- McCambridge J,O'Donnell O,Godfrey C,Khadjesari Z,Linke S,Murray E,Wallace P (2010) How big is the elephant in the room? Estimated and actual IT costs in an online behaviour change trial BMC Research Notes, 3, 172. 10.1186/1756-0500-3-172.
- Kerr C,Murray E,Noble LMM,Morris R,Bottomley C,Stevenson F,Patterson D,Peacock R,Turner I,Jackson K,Nazareth I (2010) The potential of internet interventions for heart disease self-management: a mixed methods investigation Journal of Medical Internet Research, 12(4). 10.2196/jmir.1438.
- Murray E,May C,Mair F (2010) Software development and formative evaluation of the e-Health implementation toolkit (e-HIT) BMC Medical Informatics and Decision making.
- Murray E,Treweek S,Pope C,MacFarlane A,Ballini L,Dowrick C,Finch T,Kennedy A,Mair F,O'Donnell K,Ong BN,Rapley T,Rogers A,May C (2010) Normalization Process Theory: a framework for developing evaluating and implementing complex interventions BMC Medicine.
- Bailey JV,Murray E,Rait G,Mercer CH,Morris RW,Peacock R,Cassell J,Nazareth I (2010) Interactive computer-based interventions for sexual health promotion. Cochrane Database Syst Rev(9), CD006483. 10.1002/14651858.CD006483.pub2.
- Ahluwalia S,Murray E,Stevenson FA,Kerr C,Burns J (2010) 'A heartbeat moment': qualitative study of GP views of patients bringing health information from the internet to a consultation British Journal of General Practice, 60(571), 88 - 94. 10.3399/bjgp10X483120.
- Nazareth I,Murray E (2010) Promoting self care for minor illness British Medical Journal. 10.1136/bmj.c2913.
- Edwards P,Felix L,Harris J,Ferguson E,Free C,Landon J,Lock K,Michie S,Miners A,Murray E (2010) Assessing the effectiveness and cost effectiveness of adaptive e-learning to improve dietary behaviour: protocol for a systematic review BMC Public Health, 10(200). 10.1186/1471-2458-10-200.
- May CR,Mair F,Finch T,MacFarlane A,Dowrick C,Treweek S,Rapyley T,Ballini L,Ong BN,Rogers A,Murray E,Elwyn G,Lagare F,Gunn J,Montori VM (2009) Development of a theory of implementation and integration: Normalization Process Theory Implementation Science, 4, 29. 10.1186/1748-5908-4-29.
- Murray E (2009) The role of internet-delivered interventions in self-care.
- Murray E,Khadjesari Z,White IR,Kalaitzaki E,Godfrey C,McCambridge J,Thompson SG,Wallace P (2009) Methodological Challenges in Online Trials Journal of Medical Internet Research, 11(1), e9. 10.2196/jmir.1052.
- Khadjesari Z,Murray E,Kalaitzaki E,White IR,McCambridge J,Godfrey C,Wallace P (2009) Test-retest reliability of an online measure of past week alcohol consumption (the TOT-AL), and comparison with face-to-face interview Addictive Behaviors, 34(4), 337 - 342. 10.1016/j.addbeh.2008.11.010.
- Mair F,May C,Murray E,Finch T,Anderson G,O'Donnell C,Wallace P,Sullivan F (2009) Understanding the implementation and Integration of e-Health Services. Research Report produced for the NIHR SDO Programme, 1 - 356.
- Murray E (2008) Providing information for patients: Is insufficient on its own to improve clinical outcomes British Medical Journal, 337, a280. 10.1136/bmj.a280.
- Murray E (2008) Concordance in medical consultations: A critical review HEALTH EXPECT, 11(1), 95 - 96. 10.1111/j.1369-7625.2007.00448.x.
- Kerr C,Murray E,Burns J,Turner I,Westwood MA,MacAdam C,Nazareth I,Patterson D (2008) Applying user-generated quality criteria to develop an Internet intervention for patients with heart disease Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 14(3), 124 - 127. 10.1258/jtt.2008.003006.
- Chew-Graham C,Baldwin R,Burns A (2008) Hidden alcohol consumption.
- Linke S,McCambridge J,Khadjesari Z,Wallace P,Murray E (2008) Development of a Psychologically Enhanced Interactive Online Intervention for Hazardous Drinking Alcohol and Alcoholism, 43(6), 669 - 674. 10.1093/alcalc/agn066.
- Murray E (2008) Internet delivered treatments: strategies, efficiency and cost-effectiveness Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research, 8(3), 261 - 272. 10.1586/14737188.8.131.521.
- Kerr C,Murray E,Noble L,Morris R,Bottomley C,Patterson D,Nazareth I (2008) Psychological mechanisms of action of an internet intervention for patients with Coronary Heart Disease PSYCHOL HEALTH, 23, 159 - 159.
- Murray E (2007) Using the internet for research: results at a keystroke British Journal of General Practice, 57(545), 939 - 940. 10.3399/096016407782605045.
- May C,Finch T,Mair F,Ballini L,Dowrick C,Eccles M,Gask L,MacFalane A,Murray E,Rapley T,Rogers A,Treweek S,Wallace P,Anderson G,Burns J,Heaven B (2007) Understanding the implementation of complex interventions in health care: the normalization process model BMC Health Services Research, 7(1), 148. 10.1186/1472-6963-7-148.
- Stevenson FA,Kerr C,Murray E,Nazareth I (2007) Information from the Internet and the doctor-patient relationship: the patient perspective - a qualitative study BMC Family Practice, 8(1), 47 - 8. 10.1186/1471-2296-8-47.
- Campbell N,Murray E,Darbyshire J,Emery J,Farmer A,Griffiths F,Guthrie B,Lester H,Wilson P,Kinmonth AL (2007) Designing and evaluating complex interventions to improve health care BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 334(7591), 455 - 459. 10.1136/bmj.39108.379965.BE.
- Murray E (2007) Improving management of chronic illness in the National Health Service: are better incentives really the key? Chronic Illness, 3(3), 197 - 199. 10.1177/1742395307083788.
- Murray E,Kerr C,Stevenson F,Gore C,Nazareth I (2007) Internet interventions can meet the emotional needs of patients and carers managing long-term conditions JOURNAL OF TELEMEDICINE AND TELECARE, 13, S42 - S44.
- 2001: Doctor of Philosophy, Universiteit Maastricht
- Clinical trials
- Complex interventions
- Decision making
- Normalisation Process Model
- Primary health care
- Public health
- complex interventions
- health promotion
- long term conditions
- primary care