Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Dr David Osborn
Telephone:+44 (0)20 7679 9028
Fax:+44 (0)20 7679 9426
Address:105 Charles Bell House,
Riding House Street,
Appointments:Reader in Community Psychiatric Epidemiology, Mental Health Sciences Unit, Faculty of Brain Sciences
David trained in medicine and social/political sciences at Cambridge University and then UCL. He completed clinical psychiatry training in North London and was awarded an MRC fellowship in Health Services Research, including his PhD (UCL) and an MSc (dist) in epidemiology (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine).
His main interests are the interface between physical and mental health, psychiatric epidemiology and the provision of effective services for people with severe mental illnesses such as schizophrenia.
His PhD examined cardiovascular risk factors in people with severe mental illness, involving primary research in general practice measuring smoking, cholesterol, blood pressure and diabetes as well as diet and exercise. He has published related work in The British Medical Journal, British Journal of Psychiatry and Archives of General Psychiatry.
Subesequently he led an MRC funded programme of research developing and testing an intervention to improve the detection and management of cardiovascular risk factors in people with psychosis. This resulted in a trial of a nurse-led intervention in 6 local Community Mental Health Teams. David has also undertaken large-scale epidemiological work to examine the determinants of poor cardiovascular health, including heart attacks, in severe mental illness, using primary care databases.
David leads a new, NIHR-funded programme of applied health research, the PRIMROSE programme, from 2011-2016. The £2 million funding involves a group of projects which explore the best ways to predict and manage cardiovascular risk in people with severe mental illnesses, in primary care settings. For latest news visit: www.ucl.ac.uk\primrose
The programme recently won a national MHRN award for patient/public involvement.
David works closely with academics in Primary Care and Population Health and collaborates with a range of researchers inside and outside UCL, including grants from the MRC, NIHR, HTA, SDO and Research for Patient Benefit Scheme. These projects have included work investigating morale among UK mental health staff, alternatives to traditional psychiatric inpatient care (such as crisis houses) and multicentre trials of both medications and art therapy for people with schizophrenia.
He is Post Graduate tutor for MHS and currently supervises three MRC fellowships and 5 research degrees.
David works clinically in Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust.
- Health Service Research
- Interface between physical health and mental health
- Mental Health and Justice Study
- Poor physical health in mental illness
- Psychiatric Epidemiology
- Social and Community Psychiatry
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Hardoon S,Hayes JF,Blackburn R,Petersen I,Walters K,Nazareth I,Osborn DPJ (2013) Recording of Severe Mental Illness in United Kingdom Primary Care, 2000-2010 PLoS One.
- Gale C,Batty GD,Osborn DPJ,Tynelius P,Rasmussen F (2013) Mental disorders across the adult life course and future coronary heart disease: evidence for general susceptibility Circulation, -(-), - - -. 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.113.002065.
- Osborn DPJ,King M,Walters K,Petersen I,Nazareth I,Limburg H,Green J,Watson J (2013) Relative incidence of common cancers in people with severe mental illness. Cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN primary care database Schizophrenia Research, 143(1), 44 - 49. 10.1016/j.schres.2012.11.009.
- Khalifeh H,Howard LM,Osborn D,Moran P,Johnson S (2013) Violence against people with disability in England and Wales: findings from a national cross-sectional survey. PLoS One, 8(2), e55952. 10.1371/journal.pone.0055952.
- Hassiotis A,Osborn D,Horsfall L,Petersen I,Walters K,Nazareth I (2012) Access to cancer screening in people with learning disabilities in the UK using a primary care database JOURNAL OF INTELLECTUAL DISABILITY RESEARCH, 56(7-8), 763 - 763.
- Osborn DPJ,Horsfall L,Hassiotis A,Petersen I,Walters K,Nazareth I (2012) Access to Cancer Screening in People with Learning Disabilities in the UK: Cohort Study in the Health Improvement Network, a Primary Care Research Database PLoS One, 7(8). 10.1371/journal.pone.
- Gale CG,Batty GD,Osborn DPJ,Tynelius P,Whitley E,Rasmussen F (2012) Association of Mental Disorders in Early Adulthood and Later Psychiatric Hospital Admissions and Mortality in a Cohort Study of More Than 1 Million Men Archives of General Psychiatry, 69(8), 223 - 231. 10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2011.2000.
- Johnson S,Osborn DP,Araya R,Wearn E,Paul M,Stafford M,Wellman N,Nolan F,Killaspy H,Lloyd-Evans B,Anderson E,Wood SJ (2012) Morale in the English mental health workforce: questionnaire survey. Br J Psychiatry, 201(3), 239 - 246. 10.1192/bjp.bp.111.098970.
- Pitman A,Krysinska K,Osborn D,King M (2012) Suicide in young men. Lancet, 379(9834), 2383 - 2392. 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60731-4.
- Morant N,Lloyd-Evans B,Osborn D,Johnson S,Gilburt H,Slade M (2012) Implementing successful residential alternatives to acute in-patient psychiatric services: Lessons from a multi-centre study of alternatives in England Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences, 21(2), 175 - 185. 10.1017/S204579601100076X.
- Osborn DPJ,Holt RIG (2012) Diabetes Chronic Complications.
- Osborn DPJ (2012) Delivering physical health care in modern mental health services:what works and why we have to bother, 159 - 169.
- Prah P,Petersen I,Nazareth I,Walters K,Osborn D (2012) National changes in oral antipsychotic treatment for people with schizophrenia in primary care between 1998 and 2007 in the United Kingdom Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 21(2), 161 - 169. 10.1002/pds.2213.
- Osborn DPJ (2012) General Adult Psychiatry, 359 - 372.
- Crawford MJ,Killaspy H,Barnes TR,Barrett B,Byford S,Clayton K,Dinsmore J,Floyd S,Hoadley A,Johnson T,Kalaitzaki E,King M,Leurent B,Maratos A,O'Neill FA,Osborn D,Patterson S,Soteriou T,Tyrer P,Waller D,MATISSE project team (2012) Group art therapy as an adjunctive treatment for people with schizophrenia: a randomised controlled trial (MATISSE). Health Technol Assess, 16(8), iii - 76. 10.3310/hta16080.
- Batty GD,Whitley E,Gale CR,Osborn D,Tynelius P,Rasmussen F (2012) Impact of mental health problems on case fatality in male cancer patients. Br J Cancer, 106(11), 1842 - 1845. 10.1038/bjc.2012.150.
- Crawford MJ,Killaspy H,Barnes TR,Barrett B,Byford S,Clayton K,Dinsmore J,Floyd S,Hoadley A,Johnson T,Kalaitzaki E,King M,Leurent B,Maratos A,O'Neill FA,Osborn DP,Patterson S,Soteriou T,Tyrer P,Waller D,MATISSE project team (2012) Group art therapy as an adjunctive treatment for people with schizophrenia: multicentre pragmatic randomised trial. BMJ, 344, e846.
- Whitley E,Batty GD,Mulheran PA,Gale CR,Osborn DP,Tynelius P,Rasmussen F (2012) Psychiatric disorder as a risk factor for cancer: different analytic strategies produce different findings. Epidemiology, 23(4), 543 - 550. 10.1097/EDE.0b013e3182547094.
- Nolan F,Wearn E,Paul M,Wood S,Araya R,Osborn D,Hundt G,Totman J,Johnson S (2011) Staff morale in English mental health hospitals: a national study PSYCHIATRISCHE PRAXIS, 38. 10.1055/s-0031-1277833.
- Morant N,Lloyd-Evans B,Gilburt H,Slade M,Osborn D,Johnson S (2011) Implementing successful residential alternatives to acute in-patient psychiatric services: what can we learn from professional stakeholders' perspectives? PSYCHIATRISCHE PRAXIS, 38. 10.1055/s-0031-1277831.
- Pitman A,Osborn DP (2011) Cross-cultural attitudes to help-seeking among individuals who are suicidal: new perspective for policy-makers. Br J Psychiatry, 199(1), 8 - 10. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.087817.
- Lloyd-Evans B,Slade M,Osborn DP,Skinner R,Johnson S (2011) Developing and comparing methods for measuring the content of care in mental health services. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol, 46(3), 219 - 229. 10.1007/s00127-010-0192-4.
- Buhagiar K,Parsonage L,Osborn DP (2011) Physical health behaviours and health locus of control in people with schizophrenia-spectrum disorder and bipolar disorder: a cross-sectional comparative study with people with non-psychotic mental illness. BMC Psychiatry, 11, 104. 10.1186/1471-244X-11-104.
- Mistry H,Osborn D (2011) Underuse of clozapine in treatment-resistant schizophrenia Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 17, 250 - 255. 10.1192/apt.bp.110.008128.
- Hayes JF,Osborn D (2011) Observational BALANCE. Br J Psychiatry, 199(4), 341 - 342. 10.1192/bjp.199.4.341b.
- Wood S,Stride C,Threapleton K,Wearn E,Nolan F,Osborn D,Paul M,Johnson S (2011) Demands, control, supportive relationships and well-being amongst British mental health workers. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol, 46(10), 1055 - 1068. 10.1007/s00127-010-0263-6.
- Iwata K,Strydom A,Osborn D (2011) Insight and other predictors of physical examination refusal in psychotic illness. J Ment Health, 20(4), 319 - 327. 10.3109/09638237.2011.556158.
- OSBORN D,Baio G,Walters K,Petersen I,Limburg H,Raine R,Nazareth I (2011) Inequalities in the provision of cardiovascular screening to people with severe mental illnesses in primary care. Cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN Primary Care Database 2000- 2007. Schizophrenia Research. 10.1016/j.schres.2011.04.003.
- Pitman AL,Osborn DPJ,Wright CA,Nazareth I,King MB (2011) Cardiovascular Screening of People With Severe Mental Illness in England: Views of Service Users and Providers PSYCHIAT SERV, 62(11), 1338 - 1345.
- Hayes J,Prah P,Nazareth I,King M,Walters K,Petersen I,Osborn D (2011) Prescribing trends in bipolar disorder: cohort study in the United Kingdom THIN primary care database 1995-2009. PLoS One, 6(12), e28725. 10.1371/journal.pone.0028725.
- Osborn DP,Lloyd-Evans B,Johnson S,Gilburt H,Byford S,Leese M,Slade M (2010) Residential alternatives to acute in-patient care in England: satisfaction, ward atmosphere and service user experiences. Br J Psychiatry, 197, s41 - s45. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.081109.
- Slade M,Byford S,Barrett B,Lloyd-Evans B,Gilburt H,Osborn DP,Skinner R,Leese M,Thornicroft G,Johnson S (2010) Alternatives to standard acute in-patient care in England: short-term clinical outcomes and cost-effectiveness. Br J Psychiatry, 197, s14 - s19. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.081059.
- Lloyd-Evans B,Johnson S,Morant N,Gilburt H,Osborn DP,Jagielska D,Skinner R,Leese M,Shepherd G,Slade M (2010) Alternatives to standard acute in-patient care in England: differences in content of care and staff-patient contact. Br J Psychiatry, 197, s46 - s51. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.081117.
- Johnson S,Lloyd-Evans B,Howard L,Osborn DP,Slade M (2010) Where next with residential alternatives to admission? Br J Psychiatry, 197, s52 - s54. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.081125.
- Johnson S,Lloyd-Evans B,Morant N,Gilburt H,Shepherd G,Slade M,Jagielska D,Leese M,Byford S,Osborn DP (2010) Alternatives to standard acute in-patient care in England: roles and populations served. Br J Psychiatry, 197, s6 - s13. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.080051.
- Lloyd-Evans B,Johnson S,Slade M,Barrett B,Byford S,Gilburt H,Leese M,Morant M,Osborn D,Skinner R,Thornicroft G (2010) In-patient Alternatives to Traditional Mental Health In-Patient Care (The Alternatives Study).
- Crawford MJ,Killaspy H,Kalaitzaki E,Barrett B,Byford S,Patterson S,Soteriou T,O'Neill FA,Clayton K,Maratos A,Barnes TR,Osborn D,Johnson T,King M,Tyrer P,Waller D (2010) The MATISSE study: a randomised trial of group art therapy for people with schizophrenia. BMC Psychiatry, 10, 65. 10.1186/1471-244X-10-65.
- Byford S,Sharac J,Lloyd-Evans B,Gilburt H,Osborn DP,Leese M,Johnson S,Slade M (2010) Alternatives to standard acute in-patient care in England: readmissions, service use and cost after discharge. Br J Psychiatry, 197, s20 - s25. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.081067.
- Gilburt H,Slade M,Rose D,Lloyd-Evans B,Johnson S,Osborn DP (2010) Service users' experiences of residential alternatives to standard acute wards: qualitative study of similarities and differences. Br J Psychiatry, 197, s26 - s31. 10.1192/bjp.bp.110.081075.
- Osborn DP,Nazareth I,Wright CA,King MB (2010) Impact of a nurse-led intervention to improve screening for cardiovascular risk factors in people with severe mental illnesses. Phase-two cluster randomised feasibility trial of community mental health teams. BMC Health Serv Res, 10, 61. 10.1186/1472-6963-10-61.
- Johnson S,Gilburt H,Lloyd-Evans B,Osborn DPJ,Boardman J,Leese M,Shepherd G,Thornicroft G,Slade M (2009) In-patient and residential alternatives to standard acute psychiatric wards in England BRIT J PSYCHIAT, 194(5), 456 - 463. 10.1192/bjp.bp.108.051698.
- Phillips AC,Batty GD,Gale CR,Deary IJ,Osborn D,MacIntyre K,Carroll D (2009) Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, and Their Comorbidity as Predictors of All-Cause and Cardiovascular Mortality: The Vietnam Experience Study PSYCHOSOM MED, 71(4), 395 - 403. 10.1097/PSY.0b013e31819e6706.
- Osborn D,Phelan M (2009) Psychotropic prescribing: In (Physical health and Mental Health), 55 - 61.
- Nolan F,Johnson S,Killaspy H,Wood S,Osborn D,Paul M,Araya R (2009) A NATIONAL EVALUATION OF MENTAL HEALTH INPATIENT STAFF MORALE IN ENGLAND EUROPEAN PSYCHIATRY, 24.
- Osborn DPJ,Levy G,Nazareth I,King M (2008) Suicide and severe mental illnesses. Cohort study within the UK general practice research database Schizophrenia Research, 99(1-3), 134 - 138. 10.1016/j.schres.2007.11.025.
- Osborn DP (2008) Psychiatric disorders and diabetes mellitus BRIT J PSYCHIAT, 192(5), 398 - 398. 10.1192/bjp.bp.107.039677.
- King M,Semlyen J,See-Tai S,Killaspy H,Osborn D,Popelyuk D,Nazareth I (2008) A systematic review of mental disorder, suicide, and deliberate self harm in lesbian, gay and bisexual people BMC Psychiatry, 8, 70. 10.1186/1471-244X-8-70.
- Osborn DP,Wright CA,Levy G,King MB,Deo R,Nazareth I (2008) Relative risk of diabetes, dyslipidaemia, hypertension and the metabolic syndrome in people with severe mental illnesses: systematic review and metaanalysis BMC Psychiatry, 8, 84. 10.1186/1471-244X-8-84.
- Osborn DP,Nazareth I,King MB (2007) Physical activity, dietary habits and Coronary Heart Disease risk factor knowledge amongst people with severe mental illness: a cross sectional comparative study in primary care Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 42(10), 787 - 793. 10.1007/s00127-007-0247-3.
- Osborn DPJ,Levy G,Nazareth I,Petersen I,Islam A,King MB (2007) Relative risk of cardiovascular and cancer mortality in people with severe mental illness from the United Kingdom's general practice research database Archives of General Psychiatry, 64(2), 242 - 249. 10.1001/archpsyc.64.2.242.
- 2004: Doctor of Philosophy, University College London
- 2000: Master of Science, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- 1997: Master of Arts, University of Cambridge
- 1997: Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, Royal College of Psychiatrists
- 1993: Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery, University College London
- 1990: Bachelor of Arts, University of Cambridge
- Bipolar disorder
- Clinical Research
- Clinical trials
- Cross-sectional and cohort studies
- Epidemiology research
- Public health
- Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs)
- Systematic review