Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Diana Kuh
Telephone:020 7670 5701
Fax:020 7580 1501
Address:Epidemiology & Public Health MRC Unit for Lifelong Health & Ageing,
33 Bedford Place,
Appointments:Director, MRC Unit for Lifelong Health & Ageing, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
Diana uses data from the MRC National Survey of Health and Development to study how biological, psychological and social factors at different stages of life, independently, cumulatively or interactively affect adult physical capability and musculoskeletal function and their change with age. She also uses this life course approach to study women's health, cardiovascular health and wellbeing. Diana is internationally recognised for the advancement of the field of life course epidemiology where she is the author of the acknowledged key texts: "A life course approach to chronic disease epidemiology" (2nd edition Oxford University Press 2004, with Professor Yoav Ben-Shlomo) and "A life course approach to women's health" (Oxford University Press 2002, with Dr Rebecca Hardy). Diana has published over 100 articles in a wide range of peer-reviewed journals.
- A life course approach to the study of adult physical capability
- Epidemiology and public health
- Gender divisions in paid and unpaid labour
- Health effects of social change in gender, work, and family across the life course.
- cardiovascular health and wellbeing and their changes with age
- cognitive development and ageing
- life course epidemiology
- musculoskeletal function
- women's health
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Kuh D,Wills AK,Shah I,Prentice A,Hardy R,Adams J,Ward K,Cooper C (2013) Growth from birth to adulthood and bone phenotype in early old age: A British birth cohort study Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, n/a - n/a. 10.1002/jbmr.2008.
- Mishra GD,Kuh D (2012) Health symptoms during midlife in relation to menopausal transition: British prospective cohort study BMJ, 344(feb08 1), e402 - e402. 10.1136/bmj.e402.
- Ong KK,Bann D,Wills AK,Ward K,Adams JE,Hardy R,Kuh D,National Survey of Health and Development Scientific and Data Collection Team (2012) Timing of voice breaking in males associated with growth and weight gain across the life course. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 97(8), 2844 - 2852. 10.1210/jc.2011-3445.
- Wills AK,Black S,Cooper R,Hardy R,Martin KR,Kuh D,Coppack RJ,Cooper C (2012) Life course body mass index and risk of knee osteoarthritis at the age of 53 years: Evidence from the 1946 British birth cohort study Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 71(5), 655 - 660. 10.1136/ard.2011.154021.
- Birnie K,Cooper R,Martin RM,Kuh D,Sayer AA,Alvarado BE,Bayer A,Christensen K,Cho SI,Cooper C,Corley J,Craig L,Deary IJ,Demakakos P,Ebrahim S,Gallacher J,Gow AJ,Gunnell D,Haas S,Hemmingsson T,Inskip H,Jang SN,Noronha K,Osler M,Palloni A,Rasmussen F,Santos-Eggimann B,Spagnoli J,Starr J,Steptoe A,Syddall H,Tynelius P,Weir D,Whalley LJ,Zunzunegui MV,Ben-Shlomo Y,Hardy R,HALCyon Study Team (2011) Childhood Socioeconomic Position and Objectively Measured Physical Capability Levels in Adulthood: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis PLOS ONE, 6(1). 10.1371/journal.pone.0015564.
- Alfred T,Ben-Shlomo Y,Cooper R,Hardy R,Cooper C,Deary IJ,Elliott J,Gunnell D,Harris SE,Kivimaki M,Kumari M,Martin RM,Power C,Sayer AA,Starr JM,Day IN,KUH D,the HALCyon study team (2011) Absence of association of a single-nucleotide polymorphism in the TERT-CLPTM1L locus with age-related phenotypes in a large multicohort study: the HALCyon programme Aging Cell, doi: 10.1111/j.1474-9726.2011.00687.x. epub.
- KUH D,Pierce M,Adams J,Deanfield J,Ekelund U,Friberg P,Ghosh AK,Harwood N,Hughes A,Macfarlane PW,Mishra G,Pellerin D,Wong A,Stephen AM,Richards M,Hardy R (2011) Cohort profile: updating the cohort profile for the MRC National Survey of Health and Development: a new clinic-based data collection for ageing research. Int J Epidemiol. 2011, Feb;40((1)e1-9).
- Cooper R,Kuh D,Cooper C,Gale CR,Lawlor DA,Matthews F,Hardy R,FALCon and HALCyon Study Teams (2011) Objective measures of physical capability and subsequent health: a systematic review. Age Ageing, 40(1), 14 - 23. 10.1093/ageing/afq117.
- WILLS A,LAWLOR D,MATTHEWS F,AIHIE SAYER A,BAKRA E,BEN-SHLOMO Y,BENZEVAL M,BRUNNER E,COOPER R,KIVIMAKI M,KUH D,MUNIZ-TERRERA G,HARDY R (2011) Life course trajectories of systolic blood pressure using longitudinal data from eight UK cohorts PLoS Medicine, 8(6), e1000440. 10.1371/journal.pmed.1000440.
- Birnie K,COOPER R,MARTIN R,KUH D,SAYER A,ALVARADO B,BAYER A,CHRISTENSEN K,CHO S,COOPER C,CORLEY J,CRAIG L,DEARY I,DEMAKAKOS P,EBRAHIM S,GALLACHER J,GOW A,GUNNELL D,HAAS S,HEMMINGSSON T,INSKIP H,JANG S,NORONHA K,OSLER M,PALLINI A,RASMUSSEN F,SANOS-EGGIMANN B,SPAGNOLI J,STARR J,STEPTOE A,SYDALL H,TYNELIUS P,WEIR D,WHALLEY L,ZUNZUNEGUI M,BEN-SHLOMO Y,HARDY R,HALcyon study team (2011) Childhood socioeconomic position and objectively measured physical capability levels in adulthood: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One, 26(6(1):e15564.).
- Alfred T,Ben-Shlomo Y,Cooper R,Hardy R,Cooper C,Deary IJ,Gunnell D,Harris SE,Kumari M,Martin RM,Moran CN,Pitsiladis YP,Ring SM,Sayer AA,Smith GD,Starr JM,KUH D,Day IN,The HALCyon study team (2011) ACTN3 genotype, athletic status and lifecourse physical capability: meta-analysis of the published literature and findings from nine studies. Human Mutation, doi: 10.1002/humu.21526 epub.
- Strand BH,COOPER R,HARDY R,KUH D,GURALNIK J (2011) Lifelong socioeconomic position and physical performance in midlife: Results from the British 1946 birth cohort European Journal of Epidemiology, 26(6), 475 - 483.
- WILLS A,HARDY R,BLACK S,KUH D (2010) Trajectories of overweight and body mass index in adulthood and blood pressure at age 53: the 1946 British birth cohort study. Journal of Hypertension, 2010;28(4), 679 - 686.
- COOPER R,KUH D,HARDY R (2010) Objectively measured physical capability levels and mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ, 2010 Sep 9(341:c4467).
- STRAND B,MURRAY E,GURALNIK J,KUH D,HARDY R (2010) Childhood social class and adult adiposity and blood-pressure trajectories 36-53 years: gender-specific results from a British birth cohort. J Epidemiol Community Health., 2010 Nov 23 EPUB.
- Hardy R,Cooper R,Shah I,Harridge S,Guralnik J,Kuh D (2010) Is chair rise performance a useful measure of leg power? Aging Clinical and Experimental Research, 22, 412 - 418.
- Tom SE,Cooper R,Kuh D,Guralnik JM,Hardy R,Power C (2010) Fetal environment and early age at natural menopause in a British birth cohort study HUM REPROD, 25(3), 791 - 798. 10.1093/humrep/dep451.
- Cooper R,Kuh D,Hardy R,Mortality Review Group ,FALCon and HALCyon Study Teams (2010) Objectively measured physical capability levels and mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ, 341, c4467.
- Kuh D,Hardy R,Hotopf ,Lawlor DA,Maughan B,Westendorp R,COOPER R,Black S,Mishra GD (2009) A review of life time risk factors for mortality British Actuarial Journal, 15(Supplement), 17 - 64.
- Hardy R,Lawlor DA,Black S,Mishra GD,Kuh D (2009) Age at parenthood and coronary heart disease risk factors at age 53 years in men and women Epidemiology and Community Health, 63, 99 - 105.
- KUH D,COOPER R,HARDY R,GURALNIK J,RICHARDS M,THE MUSCULOSKELETAL STUDY TEAM (2009) Lifetime cognitive performance is associated with midlife physical performance in a prospective national birth cohort study. Psychosomatic Medicine, 2009;71:(i), 38 - 48.
- Cooper R,Mishra G,Hardy R,Kuh D (2009) Hysterectomy and subsequent psychological health: Findings from a British birth cohort study Journal of Affective Disorders, 115, 122 - 130.
- Mishra G,Cooper R,Tom SE,Kuh D (2009) Early life circumstances and their impact on menarche and menopause Women's Health, 5(2), 175 - 190.
- Kuh D,Cooper R,Hardy R,Guralnik J,Richards M (2009) Lifetime cognitive performance is associated with midlife physical performance in a prospective national birth cohort study Psychosomatic Medicine, 71, 38 - 48.
- Kuh D,Mishra GD,Black S,Lawlor DA,Davey Smith G,Okell L,Wadsworth MEJ,Hardy R (2008) Offspring birth weight, gestational age and maternal characteristics in relation to glucose status at age 53 years: evidence from a national birth cohort, 25, 530 - 535.
- Cooper R,Hardy R,Kuh D (2008) Is adiposity across life associated with subsequent hysterectomy risk? Findings from the 1946 British birth cohort study BJOG: an International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 115, 184 - 192. 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2007.01569.x.
- Webb E,Kuh D,Peasey A,Pajak A,Malyutina S,Kubinova R,Topor-Madry R,Denisova D,Capkova N,Marmot M,Bobak M (2008) Childhood socioeconomic circumstances and adult height and leg length in central and eastern Europe J EPIDEMIOL COMMUN H, 62(4), 351 - 357. 10.1136/jech.2006.056457.
- Webb EA,Kuh D,Pajak A,Kubinova R,Malyutina S,Bobak M (2008) Estimation of secular trends in adult height, and childhood socioeconomic circumstances in three Eastern European populations ECON HUM BIOL, 6(2), 228 - 236. 10.1016/j.ehb.2008.03.001.
- Cooper R,Mishra G,Clennell S,Guralnik J,Kuh D (2008) Menopausal status and physical performance in midlife: findings from a British birth cohort study Menopause, 15, 1079 - 1085.
- Cooper R,Lucke J,Lawlor DA,Mishra GD,Chang J,Ebrahim S,Kuh DL,Dobson A (2008) Socioeconomic position and hysterectomy:A cross-cohort comparison of women in Australia and Great Britain Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 62, 1057 - 1063.
- Cooper R,Hardy R,Kuh D (2008) Timing of menarche, childbearing and hysterectomy risk Maturitas, 61(4), 317 - 322.
- Hardy R,Mishra GD,Kuh D (2008) Trajectories of body mass index in relation to age at menopause in a British birth cohort, 59, 304 - 314.
- Cooper R,Kuh D,Hardy R,Power C (2007) Is there an association between hysterectomy and subsequent adiposity? Maturitas, 58(3), 296 - 307. 10.1016/j.maturitas.2007.09.004.
- Cooper R,Kuh D,Hardy R,Power C (2007) Hysterectomy and subsequent body mass index and waist circumference. Findings from two British birth cohort studies Maturitas, 58, 296 - 307.
- Kuh D,Hardy R,Butterworth S,Okell L,Wadsworth MEJ,Cooper C,Aihie Sayer A (2006) Developmental origins of of adult grip strength: findings from a British birth cohort. Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological and Medical Sciences, 61(7), 702 - 706.
- Mishra G,Kuh D (2006) Perceived change in quality of life during menopause Social Science and Medicine, 62, 93 - 103.
- Abbott RA,Ploubidis GB,Huppert FA,Kuh D,Wadsworth MEJ,Croudace TJ (2006) Psychometric evaluation and predictive validity of Ryffs psychological well-being items in a UK birth cohort sample of women. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 4. 10.1186/1477-7525-4-76.
- Mishra G,Kuh D (2006) Sexual functioning throughout the menopause: the perceptions of women in a British cohort. Menopause, 13(6), 880 - 890.
- Cooper R,Blell M,Hardy R,Black S,Pollard TM,Wadsworth MEJ,Pearce MS,Kuh D (2006) The validity of age at menarche self-reported in adulthood. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 60(11), 993 - 997. 10.1136/jech.2005.043182.
- Hardy RJ,Kuh D,Whincup PH,Wadsworth MEJ (2006) Age at puberty and adult blood pressure and body size in a British birth cohort study. Journal of Hypertension, 24, 59 - 66.
- Lokugamage AU,Hotopf M,Hardy R,Mishra G,Butterworth S,Wadsworth MEJ,Kuh D (2006) Breast Cancer in Relation to Childhood Parental Divorce and Early Adult Psychiatric Disorder in a British Birth Cohort. Psychological Medicine, 36, 1307 - 1312.
- Mishra GD,Kok H,Ecob R,Cooper R,Hardy R,Kuh D (2006) Cessation of hormone replacement therapy after reports of adverse findings from randomized controlled trials: Evidence from a British birth cohort American Journal of Public Health, 96, 1219 - 1225.
- Wadsworth MEJ,Kuh D,Richards M,Hardy R (2006) Cohort profile: the 1946 national birth cohort (MRC National Survey of Health and Development). International Journal of Epidemiology, 35, 49 - 54.
- Hardy R,Kuh D (2006) Commentary: BMI and mortality in the elderly - a life course perspective. International Journal of Epidemiology, 35, 179 - 180.
- Kuh DJL,Hardy R,Butterworth S,Okell L,Wadsworth MEJ,Cooper C,Aihie Sayer A (2006) Developmental origins of midlife physical performance: evidence from a British birth cohort American Journal of Epidemiology, 164, 110 - 121. 10.1093/aje/kwj193.
- McMunn AM,Bartley M,Hardy R,Kuh D (2006) Life course social roles and women's health in mid-life: causation or selection? Epidemiology and Community Health, 60(6), 484 - 489. 10.1136/jech.2005.042473.
- McMunn AM,Bartley M,Kuh D (2006) Life course social roles, women's health in mid-life and agency as quality Social Science and Medicine, 63(6), 1561 - 1572. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.03.039.
- Langenberg C,Kuh D,Wadsworth MEJ,Brunner E,Hardy R (2006) Social circumstances and education: Life course origins of social inequalities in metabolic risk in a prospective national birth cohort. American Journal of Public Health, 96(12), 2216 - 2221.
- McMunn A,Bartley M,Kuh D (2006) Women?s health in mid-life: life course social roles and agencyas quality Social Science and Medicine, 63(6), 1561 - 1572. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.03.039.
- Wadsworth MK,D R,M H,R (2006) Cohort profile: the 1946 national birth cohort. International Journal of Epidemiology, 35, 49 - 54.
There are no biographical details to display
- Life Course
- Longitudinal analysis
- Musculoskeletal Health
- Physical Capability