Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Dr Daniel Pearce
Stem cells have been found in most tissues/organs. These stem cells produce replacements for lost and damaged cells, and it is not completely understood how this regenerative capacity becomes diminished during ageing. One hypothesis is that stem cells are more likely to sacrifice themselves than risk potentially cancer-causing damage being passed onto progeny. This should reduce the incidence of cancer, but ultimately, may lead to a reduction in stem cells with age that contributes to the ageing process.
Current research aims include;
- Characterisation of age-based alterations in the phenotype and function of murine and human haematopoietic stem cells,
- Analysis of the role of haematopoietic stem cell-specific antitoxicity mechanisms during ageing
- Long-term tracking of the dynamics of age-based alterations in stem and progenitor cells
- Analysis of stem cell epigenetic alterations during ageing and how this alters gene expression
- Analysis of the effect of calorific restriction on murine haematopoietic stem ageing.
- Cell signalling
- The biology of ageing and the role of somatic stem cells in this process.
Displaying 18 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Taiwo O,Wilson GA,Morris T,Seisenberger S,Reik W,Pearce D,Beck S,Butcher LM (2012) Methylome analysis using MeDIP-seq with low DNA concentrations. Nat Protoc, 7(4), 617 - 636. 10.1038/nprot.2012.012.
- Pearce D,Bonnet D (2009) Ageing within the hematopoietic stem cell compartment. Mech Ageing Dev, 130(1-2), 54 - 57.
- Oke A,Pearce D,Wilkinson RW,Crafter C,Odedra R,Cavenagh J,Fitzgibbon J,Lister AT,Joel S,Bonnet D (2009) AZD1152 rapidly and negatively affects the growth and survival of human acute myeloid leukemia cells in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Res, 69(10), 4150 - 4158.
- Boxall SA,Cook GP,Pearce D,Bonnet D,El-Sherbiny YM,Blundell MP,Howe SJ,Leek JP,Markham AF,de Wynter EA (2009) Haematopoietic repopulating activity in human cord blood CD133+ quiescent cells Bone Marrow Transplant., 43(8), 627 - 635.
- Taussig DC,Miraki-Moud F,Anjos-Afonso F,Pearce DJ,Allen K,Ridler C,Lillington D,Oakervee H,Cavenagh J,Agrawal SG,Lister TA,Gribben JG,Bonnet D (2008) Anti-CD38 antibody-mediated clearance of human repopulating cells masks the heterogeneity of leukemia-initiating cells. Blood, 112(3), 568 - 575.
- Pearce DJ,Anjos-Afonso F,Ridler CM,Eddaoudi A,Bonnet D (2007) Age-dependent increase in side population distribution within hematopoiesis: implications for our understanding of the mechanism of aging. Stem Cells, 25(4), 828 - 835. 10.1634/stemcells.2006-0405.
- Pearce DJ,Afonso F,Ridler C,Eddaoudi A,Bonnet D (2007) Age dependent increase in SP distribution within Hematopoiesis: implications for our understanding of the mechanism of aging Stem Cells, 25(4), 828 - 835. 10.1634/stemcells.2006-0405.
- Pearce DJ,Bonnet D (2007) The combined use of Hoechst efflux ability and aldehyde dehydrogenase activity to identify murine and human hematopoietic stem cells. Exp Hematol, 35(9), 1437 - 1446.
- Simpson C,Pearce DJ,Bonnet D,Davies D (2006) Out of the blue: a comparison of Hoechst side population (SP) analysis of murine bone marrow using 325, 363 and 407 nm excitation sources. J Immunol Methods, 310(1-2), 171 - 181.
- Pearce DJ,Taussig D,Zibara K,Smith LL,Ridler CM,Preudhomme C,Young BD,Rohatiner AZ,Lister TA,Bonnet D (2006) AML engraftment in the NOD/SCID assay reflects the outcome of AML: implications for our understanding of the heterogeneity of AML Blood, 107(3), 1166 - 1173. 10.1182/blood-2005-06-2325.
- Pearce DJ,Taussig DC,Bonnet D (2006) Implications of the expression of myeloid markers on normal and leukemic stem cells. Cell Cycle, 5(3), 271 - 273.
- Smith L-L,Pearce D,Smith ML,Jenner M,Lister TA,Bonnet D,Goff L,Fitzgibbon J (2006) Development of a quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction method for monitoring CEBPA mutations in normal karyotype acute myeloid leukaemia. Br J Haematol, 133(1), 103 - 105.
- Pearce DJ,Taussig D,Simpson C,Allen K,Rohatiner AZ,Lister TA,Bonnet D (2005) Characterization of cells with a high aldehyde dehydrogenase activity from cord blood and acute myeloid leukemia samples Stem Cells, 23(6), 752 - 760. 10.1634/stemcells.2004-0292.
- Taussig DC,Pearce DJ,Simpson C,Rohatiner AZ,Lister TA,Kelly G,Luongo JL,Danet-Desnoyers G-AH,Bonnet D (2005) Hematopoietic stem cells express multiple myeloid markers: implications for the origin and targeted therapy of acute myeloid leukemia. Blood, 106(13), 4086 - 4092.
- Pearce DJ,Ridler CM,Simpson C,Bonnet D (2004) Multiparameter analysis of murine bone marrow side population cells Blood, 103(7), 2541 - 2546. 10.1182/blood-2003-09-3281.
- McGuckin CP,Pearce D,Forraz N,Tooze JA,Watt SM,Pettengell R (2003) Multiparametric analysis of immature cell populations in umbilical cord blood and bone marrow. Eur J Haematol, 71(5), 341 - 350.
- Whiting KA,McGuckin CP,Wertheim D,Pearce D,Pettengell R (2003) Three-dimensional analysis of CD34 sialomucin distribution on cord blood and bone marrow. Br J Haematol, 122(5), 771 - 777.
- Taussig DC,Pearce DJ,Bonnet DA (2002) Male cells in female recipients of hematopoietic-cell transplants. N Engl J Med, 347(3), 218 - 220.
- 2001: Doctor of Philosophy, Kingston University
- 1997: Bachelor of Science, Kingston University
- ABC transporter
- Ageing of haematopoietic stem cells
- Asymmetric cell division
- Cancer progression
- DNA damage
- DNA repair
- Human cell culture
- Oxidative stress
- Stem cells