Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof David Isenberg
Telephone:0207 679 9252
Address:Room 331 The Windeyer Building 46 Cleveland Street London,
Appointments:ARC Diamond Jubilee Professor, Inflammation, Div of Medicine
With an immunlogy background ( trained in the laboratories of Ivan Roitt, London and Robert Schwartz, Boston) I developed a number of human hybridoma derived autoantibodies for detailed analysis. My colleagues and I have incorporated amino acid sequencing, computer modelling, site directed mutagenesis and experimental models to explore the links between the structure, function and pathogenic consequences of anti dsDNA and anti phospholipid autoantibodies. The Centre For Rheumatology has also developed an international reputation for its work on T and B cell interactions and regulation, cell signalling, analysis of lipid rafts and apoptosis amongst other things. Clinically I have been deeply involved in the development of the BILAG disease activity assessment tool for patients with lupus. I have also been instrumental in developing a dmaage index for patients lupus and simlar tools for patients with myositis and Sjogren's syndome. Our group was also the first to use B cell depletion as a form of treatment for patients with rheumatoid arthritis (now NICE approved) and lupus.
- Immunoregulation in rheumatic disease
- Interaction of membrane proteins and lipids on immune cell function and immune synapse formation.
- characterisation of the genetic and immunological
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Sultan SM,Allen E,Cooper RG,Agarwal S,Kiely P,Oddis CV,Vencovsky J,Lundberg IE,Dastmalchi M,Hanna MG,Isenberg DA (2011) Interrater reliability and aspects of validity of the myositis damage index. Ann Rheum Dis, 70(7), 1272 - 1276. 10.1136/ard.2010.142117.
- Dooley MA,Jayne D,Ginzler EM,Isenberg D,Olsen NJ,Wofsy D,Eitner F,Appel GB,Contreras G,Lisk L,Solomons N,ALMS Group (2011) Mycophenolate versus azathioprine as maintenance therapy for lupus nephritis. N Engl J Med, 365(20), 1886 - 1895. 10.1056/NEJMoa1014460.
- Isenberg DA,Allen E,Farewell V,D'Cruz D,Alarcón GS,Aranow C,Bruce IN,Dooley MA,Fortin PR,Ginzler EM,Gladman DD,Hanly JG,Inanc M,Kalunian K,Khamashta M,Merrill JT,Nived O,Petri M,Ramsey-Goldman R,Sturfelt G,Urowitz M,Wallace DJ,Gordon C,Rahman A (2011) An assessment of disease flare in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a comparison of BILAG 2004 and the flare version of SELENA. Ann Rheum Dis, 70(1), 54 - 59. 10.1136/ard.2010.132068.
- Blair PA,Noreña LY,Flores-Borja F,Rawlings DJ,Isenberg DA,Ehrenstein MR,Mauri C (2010) CD19(+)CD24(hi)CD38(hi) B cells exhibit regulatory capacity in healthy individuals but are functionally impaired in systemic Lupus Erythematosus patients. Immunity, 32(1), 129 - 140. 10.1016/j.immuni.2009.11.009.
- Lu TY,Ng KP,Cambridge G,Leandro MJ,Edwards JC,Ehrenstein M,Isenberg DA (2009) A retrospective seven-year analysis of the use of B cell depletion therapy in systemic lupus erythematosus at University College London Hospital: the first fifty patients. Arthritis Rheum, 61(4), 482 - 487. 10.1002/art.24341.
- Ioannou Y,Romay-Penabad Z,Pericleous C,Giles I,Papalardo E,Vargas G,Shilagard T,Latchman DS,Isenberg DA,Rahman A,Pierangeli S (2009) In vivo inhibition of antiphospholipid antibody-induced pathogenicity utilizing the antigenic target peptide domain I of beta-glycoprotein I: proof of concept Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 7(5), 833 - 842.
- O Neill SG,Woldman S,Bailliard F,Norman W,McEwan J,Isenberg DA,Taylor AM,Rahman A (2009) Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 68(9), 1478 - 1481.
- Manson JJ,Jury E,Mills K,Isenberg DA,Rahman A (2009) The Podocyte in Lupus Nephritis: How do Pathogenic Autoantibodies Exert Their Effect? Rheumatology, 48, I47 - I47.
- McBride JD,Gabriel FG,Fordham J,Kolind T,Barcenas-Morales G,Isenberg DA,Swana M,Delves PJ,Lund T,Cree IA,Roitt IM (2008) Screening autoantibody profiles in systemic rheumatic disease with a diagnostic protein microarray using a filtration assisted Nanodot Array Luminometric ImmunoAssay (NALIA). Clinical Chemistry, 54, 883 - 890. 10.1373/clinchem.2007.098418.
- Everett CM,Graves TD,Lad S,Jager HR,Thom M,Isenberg DA,Hanna MG (2008) Aggressive CNS lupus vasculitis in the absence of systemic disease activity Rheumatology, 47(1), 107 - 109. 10.1093/rheumatology/kem264.
- Rider LG,Pilkington CM,Ruperto N,Isenberg DA (2007) Charting your child's progress, 127 - 138.
- Chambers SA,Rahman A,Isenberg DA (2007) Treatment adherence and clinical outcome in systemic lupus erythematosus Rheumatology, 46, 895 - 898.
- Isenberg DA,Manson JJ,Ehrenstein MR,Rahman A (2007) 50 years of anti-dsDNA antibodies - are we approaching journey's end Rheumatology, 46, 1052 - 1056.
- Flores-Borja F,Kabouridis PS,Jury EC,Isenberg DA,Mageed RAAR2007J (2007) Altered lipid raft-associated proximal signaling and translocation of CD45 tyrosine phosphatase in B lymphocytes from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 56(1), 291 - 302.
- Chambers SA,Charman SC,Rahman A,Isenberg DA (2007) Development of additional autoimmune diseases in a multiethnic cohort of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus with reference to damage and mortality Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 66, 1173 - 1177.
- Ioannou Y,Pericleous C,Giles I,Latchman DS,Isenberg DA,Rahman A (2007) Binding of antiphospholipid antibodies to discontinuous epitopes on domain I of human beta 2-glycoprotein I: Mutation studies including residues R39 to R43 Arthritis and Rheumatism, 56(1), 280 - 290. 10.1002/art.22306.
- Giles I,Isenberg D,A (2007) Antinuclear antibodies: an overview., 415 - 424.
- Lambrianides A,Giles I,Ioannou Y,Mason L,Latchman DS,Manson JJ,Isenberg DA,Rahman A (2007) Arginine mutation alters binding of a human monoclonal antibody to antigens linked to systemic lupus erythematosus and the antiphospholipid syndrome Arthritis and Rheumatism, 56(7), 2392 - 2401. 10.1002/art.22743.
- Bernatsky S,Ramsey-Goldman R,Isenberg DA,Rahman A,Dooley MA,Sibley J,Boivin JF,Joseph L,Armitage J,Zoma A,Clarke A (2007) Hodgkin's lymphoma in systemic lupus erythematosus Rheumatology, 46, 830 - 832.
- Jury EC,Eldridge J,Isenberg DA,Kabouridis PS (2007) Agrin signalling contributes to cell activation and is overexpressed in T lymphocytes from lupus patients The Journal of Immunology, 179(11), 7975 - 7983.
- O'Neill SG,Isenberg DA,Rahman A (2007) Could antibodies to C-reactive protein link inflammation and cardiovascular disease in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus? Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 66, 989 - 991.
- Cambridge G,Leandro M,Teodorescu M,Manson J,Rahman A,Isenberg DA,Edwards JCW (2006) B cell depletion therapy in systemic lupus erythematosus; effect on autoantibody and antimicrobial antibody profiles Arthritis and Rheumatism, 54, 3612 - 3622.
- Adler M,Isenberg D,A (2006) Working together to improve rheumatology services. Clin Medicine, 3, 309 - 311.
- Isenberg DA,Rahman A (2006) Systemic lupus erythematosus - 2005 annus mirabilis? Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatology, 2, 145 - 152. 10.1038/ncprheum0116.
- Giles IP,Isenberg DA,Rahman A (2006) Lessons from sequence analysis of monoclonal antiphospholipid antibodies.
- Ng K,P L,M J,Edwards J,C Ehrenstein M,R C,G I,D A (2006) Repeated B cell depletion in treatment of refactory systemic lupus erythemaosus. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 65, 942 - 945.
- Adler M,Chambers S,Edwards C,Neild GH,Isenberg D (2006) An assessment of renal failure in an SLE cohort with special reference to ethnicity, over a 25-year period. Rheumatology, 45, 1144 - 1147.
- Yee CS,Farewell V,Isenberg D,Prabu A,Sokoll K,Teh LS,Rahman A,etal (2006) Revised BILAG-2004 index: a reliable tool for assessment of SLE disease activity. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 54, 3300 - 3305.
- Bessant R,Duncan R,Ambler G,Swanton J,Isenberg DA,Gordon C,Rahman A (2006) Prevalence of conventional and lupus-specific risk factors for cardiovascular disease in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: A case-control study Arthritis Care and Research, 55(6), 892 - 899. 10.1002/art.22343.
- Jury EC,Isenberg DA,Mauri C,Ehrenstein MR (2006) Atorvastatin restores Lck expression and lipid raft-associated signaling in T cells from patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. The Journal of Immunology, 177(10), 7416 - 7422.
- Allen E,Farewell VT,Isenberg DA,Gordon C (2006) A statistical analysis of the inter-relationships between disease activity in different systems in systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatology, 45, 308 - 313.
- Isenberg DA (2006) The benefits and costs of biologic registers. Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatology, 2, 229 - 229.
- Ng KP,Manson JJ,Rahman A,Isenberg DA (2006) Association of antinucleosome antibodies with disease flare in serologically active clinically quiescent patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care and Research, 55(6), 900 - 904. 10.1002/art.22356.
- Donnelly S,Roake W,Brown S,Young P,Naik H,Wordsworth P,Isenberg DA (2006) Impaired recognition of apoptotic neutrophils by the C1q/calreticulin and CD91 pathway in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 54(5), 1543 - 1556.
- Mason J,Isenberg DA (2006) The origin and pathogenic consequences of anti-dsDNA antibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus. Exp Review of Clin Immunol, 2, 377 - 380.
- Rahman A,Bessant R,Isenberg DA (2006) What do lupus specialists believe about managing conventional cardiovascular risk factors in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus? Lupus, 15, 695 - 697.
- Ioannou Y,Giles I,Lambrianides A,Richardson C,Pearl LH,Latchman DS,Isenberg DA,Rahman A (2006) A novel expression system of Domain I of human Beta2 Glycoprotein I in Escherichia Coli BMC Biotechnology, 6(1), 8 - 18.
- Kumar S,Nagl SCB,Kalsi JK,Ravirajan CT,Athwal D,Latchman DS,Pearl LH,Isenberg DA (2005) Beta-2-glycoprotein specificity of human anti-phospholipid antibody resides on the light chain: a novel mechanism for acquisition of cross-reactivity by an autoantibody Molecular Immunology, 42(1), 39 - 48. 10.1016/j.molimm.2004.07.012.
- Mason LJ,Isenberg DA (2005) The pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus., 809 - 824.
- Isenberg DA,Rahman A,Allen E,Farewell V,Akil M,Bruce IN,D'Cruz D,Griffiths B,Khamashta M,Maddison P,McHugh N,Snaith M,Teh LS,Yee LS,Zoma A,Gordon C (2005) BILAG 2004 - Development and initial validation of an updated version of the British Isles Lupus Assessment Group's disease activity index for patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatology, 44, 902 - 906.
- Leandro MJ,Cambridge G,Edwards JC,Ehrenstein MR,Isenberg DA (2005) B cell depletion in the treatment of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a longitudinal analysis of 24 patients. Rheumatology, 44, 1542 - 1545.
- Ripley BJM,Rahman A,Isenberg DA,Latchman DS (2005) Elevated expression of Brn-3a and Brn-3b transcription factors in systemic lupus erythematosus correlates with antibodies to Brn-3 and over-expression of Hsp90. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 52, 1171 - 1179.
- Fritsch C,Hoebeke J,Dali H,Ricchiuti V,Isenberg DA (2005) 52-kDa Ro/SSA epitopes preferentially recognised by antibodies from mothers of children with neonatal lupus and congenital heart block. Arthritis Research and Therapy, 8(1), R4.
- Delgado-Alves J,Mason LJ,Ames PRJ,Chen PP,Rauch J,Levine JS,Subang R,Isenberg DA (2005) Antiphospholipid antibodies are associated with enhanced oxidative stress, decreased plasma nitric oxide and paraoxonase activity in an experimental mouse model. Rheumatology, 44, 1238 - 1244.
- Rahman A,Bowman SJ,Giles IP,Ioannou Y,Isenberg DA (2005) Annus mirablilis - a guide to the 6th European Lupus Meeting 3-5 March 2005. Rheumatology, 44, 962 - 964. 10.1093/rheumatology/keh702.
- Bernatsky S,Boivin JF,Joseph L,Rajan R,Zoma A,Manzi S,Ginzler EM,Urowitz EM,Gladman D,Fortin PR,Petri M,Edworthy S,Barr S,Gordon C,Bae SC,Sibley J,Isenberg DA,Rahman A,Aranow C,Dooley MA,Steinsson K,Nived O,Sturfelt G,Alarcon G,Senecal JL,Zummer M,Hanly J,Ensworth S,Pope J,El-Gabalawy H,McCarthy T,St Pierre Y,Ramsey-Goldman R,Clarke A (2005) An international cohort study of cancer in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 52, 1481 - 1490.
- Delgado-Alves J,RadwayBright E,Lee S,Grima B,Hothersall J,Ravirajan C,Isenberg D (2005) Antiphospholipid antibodies are induced by in vitro fertilization and correlate with paraoxonase activity and total antioxidant capacity of plasma in infertile women Lupus, 14(5), 373 - 380.
- Haley J,Mason LJ,Nagl S,Giles I,Latchman DS,Isenberg DA,Rahman A (2005) Somatic mutations to arginine residues affect the binding of human monoclonal antibodies to DNA, histones, SmD and Ro antigen. Molecular Immunology, 40(11), 745 - 758.
- Ripley BJM,Rahman MA,Isenberg DA,Latchman DS (2005) Elevated expression of the Brn-3a and Brn-3b transcription factors in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus correlates with antibodies to Brn-3 and overexpression of Hsp90 ARTHRITIS AND RHEUMATISM, 52(4), 1171 - 1179.
- Ioannou Y,Giles I,Lambrianides N,Latchman DS,Isenberg DA,Rahman A (2005) A novel, efficient, expression system of domain I of human beta2 glycoprotein I in E-coli RHEUMATOLOGY, 44, I141 - I142.
- 1984: Doctor of Medicine, University College London
- Structure, function,origin and pathogenicity of autoantibodies
- development of assessment tools for patients with the autoimmune rheumatic diseases