Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Benjamin Heydecker
Telephone:020 7679 1553
Address:120 Chadwick Building Centre for Transport Studies,
UCL, Gower Street,
Appointments:Professor of Transport Studies, Dept of Civil, Environ & Geomatic Eng, Faculty of Engineering Science
Dynamic Analysis of Road Traffic Flow. Understanding of flow breakdown and other dynamic traffic phenomena on busy motorways, and to establish ways in which this can be modelled so that active traffic management measures can be developed.
Distributed Adaptive Control for Traffic Signal Systems. Development of a novel approach to on-line signal control of road traffic using learning classifier systems.
SIGSIGN research. Development of research software for design of signal-controlled road junctions.
Analysis of trajectories of stacking aircraft for enhanced short term conflict alert.
Analysis of crash and casualty record at road safety cameras operating under cost recovery.
Development of a harmonised research programme for information and communications technology (ICT) in cooperative traffic management.
- Dynamic responsive signal control for railway junctions
- EPSRC/RSSB: Cost functions of railway operations and their applications to optimisation
- EPSRC: Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Network Data and Route Dynamics (STANDARD)
- EU-FP7: Network of Excellence for Advanced Road Cooperative traffic management in the Information Society (NEARCTIS)
- SCALE: Small Changes Lead to Large Effects: Changing Energy Costs in Transport and Location
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Taylor NB,Heydecker BG (2014) The effect of green time on stochastic queues at traffic signals TRANSPORTATION PLANNING AND TECHNOLOGY, 37(1), 3 - 19. 10.1080/03081060.2013.844907.
- Tsapakis I,Heydecker BG,Cheng T,Anbaroglu B (2013) How metro strikes affect macroscopic and microscopic travel times in London Transportation Planning and Technology, 36(1). 10.1080/03081060.2012.745766.
- Heydecker BG,Beeharee A,Addison JD (2012) SafeTRIP: Using Satellite Communication for ITS Traffic Technology International.
- Tsapakis I,Turner JT,CHENG T,Heydecker B,Emmonds AE,Bolbol AB (2012) Effects of tube strikes on journey times in the transport network of London.
- Yanez MF,Cherchi E,Ortuzar J,Heydecker BG (2012) Inertia and shock effects on mode choice panel data: implications of the Transantiago implementation Travel Behaviour Research in an Evolving World.
- Heydecker BG,Addison JD (2012) The Harmonised Research Programme.
- Heydecker BG (2011) Motorway speed limits British Politics and Policy at LSE.
- Yáñez MF,de Dios Ortúzar J,Cherchi E,Heydecker BG (2011) On the Treatment of Repeated Observations in Panel Data: Efficiency of Mixed Logit Parameter Estimates Networks and Spatial Economics, 11(3), 393 - 418. 10.1007/s11067-010-9143-6.
- Wong CK,Heydecker BG (2011) Optimal allocation of turns to lanes at an isolated signal-controlled junction Transportation Research (part B, methodological), In press.
- Heydecker BG (2011) Measuring traffic flow using real-time data, E-C149, 109 - 120.
- Yanez MF,Cherchi E,Heydecker BG,Ortuzar J (2011) On the treatment of repeated observations in panel data: efficiency of mixed logit parameter estimates Networks and Spatial Economics, 10. 10.1007/s11067-010-9143-6.
- HEYDECKER B,Addison JD (2011) Analysis and modelling of traffic flow under variable speed limits Transportation Research (Part C: Emerging Technologies), In press.
- Wang J,Cheng T,Heydecker BG,Howarth J (2010) STARIMA for journey time prediction in London Proceedings of the 5th IMA conference on mathematics in transport.
- Yang H,Xu W,Heydecker BG (2010) Bounding the efficiency of road pricing Transportation Research (Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review), 46E(1), 90 - 108. 10.1016/j.tre.2009.05.007.
- HEYDECKER B,Christodoulou A,Robertson SA,Allsop RE (2010) Criteria for pedestrian crossings.
- Lee S,Heydecker BG,Kim YH,Shon EY (2010) Dynamic OD estimation using three phase traffic flow theory Journal of Advanced Transportation. 10.1002/atr.117.
- Heydecker BG (2010) Review of the state of knowledge and capability in relevant technologies, 1 - 258.
- Medda F,Heydecker B (2009) In search of sustainable transport systems Alstom Transport, 3, 34 - 40.
- Cai C,Wong CK,Heydecker BG (2009) Adaptive traffic signal control using approximate dynamic programming TRANSPORT RES C-EMER, 17(5), 456 - 474. 10.1016/j.trc.2009.04.005.
- HEYDECKER BG,Robertson SA,Morgan S (2009) Scoping study of the feasibility of developing a software tool to assist designers of pedestrian crossing places.
- Somasundaraswaran K,Bullen F,Ayers R,Heydecker BG (2009) The need for safety targets in South Asian developing countries.
- HEYDECKER B (2009) Evaluation of Pedestrian Priority Zones in the European area.
- Addison JD,Heydecker BG (2008) Modelling Traffic with Variable Speed Limits.
- HEYDECKER B,Addison JD (2008) Measuring traffic flow using real-time data.
- Heydecker BG,Lam WHK,Zhang N (2007) Use of travel demand satisfaction to assess road network reliability TRANSPORTMETRICA, 3(2), 139 - 171.
- (2007) Transportation and traffic theory 2007, 17.
- Heydecker BG,Cai C,Wong CK (2007) Adaptive dynamic control for road traffic signals 2007 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON NETWORKING, SENSING, AND CONTROL, VOLS 1 AND 2, 193 - 198.
- Addison JD (2007) Flow on links: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, 363 - 372.
- (2007) Mathematics in Transport. Selected proceedings of the 4th IMA International Conference on Mathematics in Transport, 4.
- Han S-J,Heydecker BG (2006) Consistent objective and solutions of dynamic user equilibrium models Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 40B(1), 16 - 34.
- HEYDECKER B,Addison JD (2006) Analysis of dynamic traffic assignment.
- Addison JD,Heydecker BG (2006) Journey Time Variability on a Congested Link.
- Heydecker B,Polak JW (2006) Equilibrium analysis of the scheduling of tours in congested networks Journal of Advanced Transportation, 40(2), 185 - 202.
- Cantillo V,Heydecker BG,Ortuzar JD (2006) A discrete choice model incorporating thresholds for perception in attribute values Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 40B(9), 807 - 825. 10.1016/j.trb.2005.11.002.
- Zhou J,Lam W,Heydecker BG (2005) The generalized Nash equilibrium model for oligopolistic transit market with elastic demand Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 39(6), 519 - 544. 10.1016/j.trb.2004.07.003.
- Heydecker BG,Addison JD (2005) Analysis of dynamic traffic equilibrium with departure time choice Transportation Science, 39(1), 39 - 57. 10.1287/trsc.1030.0075.
- Lim Y,Heydecker BG,Lee S (2005) A continuous network design model in stochastic user equilibrium based on sensitivity analysis Journal of Advanced Transportation, 39(1), 63 - 79.
- Lim Y,Heydecker B (2005) Dynamic departure time and stochastic user equilibrium assignment Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 39(2), 97 - 118. 10.1016/j.trb.2003.08.003.
- Gains A,Nordstrom M,Heydecker BG,Shrewsbury J (2005) The national safety camera programme: Four-year evaluation report..
- Lim Y,Heydecker B,Lee S (2004) A continuous network design model in stochastic user equilibrium based on sensitivity analysis.
- Gains A,Heydecker B,Shrewsbury J,Robertson S (2004) The national safety camera programme: three-year evaluation report.
- Heydecker BG (2004) Objectives, stimulus and feedback in signal control of road traffic ITS Journal, 8(2), 63 - 76.
- Bull L,Sha'Aban J,Tomlinson A,Addison JD,Heydecker BG (2004) Towards distributed adaptive control for road traffic junction signals using learning classifier systems, 279 - 299.
- Cantillo V,Heydecker B,de Dios Ortúzar J (2004) A discrete choice model incorporating thresholds forperception in attribute values.
- (2003) Congestion charging in London, 2003 A Monthly Magazine on Transportation Policy, 2003.4, 76 - 81.
- (2003) Influence of peak spreading and departure time choice on evaluation of ITS measures Journal of Advanced Transportation, 36(3), 293 - 322.
- (2003) Detecting dynamic traffic assignment capacity paradoxes in saturated networks Transportation Science, 37(2), 123 - 138.
- Gains A,Humble R,Robertson S,Heydecker BG (2003) A cost recovery system for speed and red-light cameras: two-year pilot evaluation. Research Paper, 11 February 2003, Department for Transport.
- Sha'aban J,Tomlinson A,Heydecker BG,Bull L (2002) Adaptive traffic control using evolutionary algorithms.
- Heydecker BG (2002) Dynamic equilibrium network design, 349 - 370.
- 2005: Chartered Scientist,
- 1983: Doctor of Philosophy, University College London
- 1978: Bachelor of Arts, University of Cambridge