Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Dr Aparna Shankar
Address:356a Department of Epidemiology & Public Health,
University College London,
Appointments:Research Associate, Epidemiology & Public Health, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
Aparna works on health and well-being in older adults, with a particular emphasis on the role of social connections and social engagement, using data from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Other research interests include the social cognitive predictors of maintenance of health behaviours and the impact of gender, ethnicity and deprivation on access to care and the management of conditions.
- Social participation, ageing and wellbeing
Displaying 21 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Steptoe A,Shankar A,Demakakos P,Wardle J (2013) Social isolation, loneliness, and all-cause mortality in older men and women. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 110(15), 5797 - 5801. 10.1073/pnas.1219686110.
- Shankar A,Hamer H,McMunn A,Steptoe APA (2013) Social isolation and loneliness: Relationships with cognitive function over 4 years follow up in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing Psychosomatic Medicine.
- Stathi A,De Koning J,Davis M,Shankar A,Thompson J,Fox K (2012) CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR INCREASING DAILY ACTIVITY IN OLDER AGE JOURNAL OF AGING AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, 20, S24 - S25.
- Meisel SF,Shankar A,Kivimaki M,Wardle J (2012) Consent to DNA collection in epidemiological studies: findings from the Whitehall II cohort and the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Genet Med, 14(2), 201 - 206. 10.1038/gim.0b013e31822e5778.
- Shankar A,McMunn A,Banks J,Steptoe A (2011) Loneliness, social isolation and behavioural and biological health indicators in older adults. Health Psychology, 30, 377 - 385.
- Shankar A,McMunn A,Steptoe A (2010) Health-related behaviors in older adults relationships with socioeconomic status. Am J Prev Med, 38(1), 39 - 46. 10.1016/j.amepre.2009.08.026.
- Freemantle N,Wood N,Griffin C,Gill P,Calvert M,Shankar A,Chambers J,MacArthur C (2009) What factors predict differences in infant and perinatal mortality in Primary Care Trusts? A prognostic model BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.). 10.1136/bmj.b2892.
- Calvert MJ,Shankar A,McManus RJ,Ryan R,Freemantle N (2009) Evaluation of the management of heart failure in primary care. Family Practice, 26(2), 145 - 153.
- Gill PS,Shankar A,Quirke T,Freemantle N (2009) Access to interpreting services in England: secondary analysis of national data. BMC Public Health, 9, 12. 10.1186/1471-2458-9-12.
- Berger R,Shankar A,Fruhwald F,Fahrleitner-Pammer A,Freemantle N,Tavazzi L,Cleland JG,Pacher R (2009) Relationships between cardiac resynchronization therapy and N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide in patients with heart failure and markers of cardiac dyssynchrony: an analysis from the Cardiac Resynchronization in Heart Failure (CARE-HF) study European Heart Journal. 10.1093/eurheartj/ehp210.
- Calvert M,Shankar A,McManus RJ,Lester H,Freemantle N (2009) Effect of the quality and outcomes framework on diabetes care in the United Kingdom: retrospective cohort study BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.), 338(b1870). 10.1136/bmj.b1870.
- Ghio S,Freemantle N,Scelsi L,Serio A,Magrini G,Pasotti M,Shankar A,Cleland JG,Tavazzi L (2009) Long-term left ventricular reverse remodelling with cardiac resynchronization therapy: results from the CARE-HF trial. European Journal of Heart Failure, 11(5), 480 - 488.
- Gervais R,Leclercq C,Shankar A,Jacobs S,Eiskjær H,Johannessen A,Freemantle N,Cleland JG,Tavazzi L,Daubert COBOTC-HI (2009) Surface electrocardiogram to predict outcome in candidates for cardiac resynchronization therapy: a sub-analysis of the CARE-HF trial. European Journal of Heart Failure, 11(7), 699 - 705.
- Cleland J,Freemantle N,Ghio S,Fruhwald F,Shankar A,Marijanowski M,Verboven Y,Tavazzi L (2008) Predicting the long-term effects of cardiac resynchronization therapy on mortality from baseline variables and the early response a report from the CARE-HF (Cardiac Resynchronization in Heart Failure) Trial. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 52(6), 438 - 445.
- Calvert M,Shankar A,McManus R,Freemantle N (2008) Achieving glycaemic control: current and future management opportunities Diabetes and Primary Care, May-Jun.
- Shankar A,Conner M,Bodansky HJ (2007) Can the theory of planned behaviour predict maintenance of a frequently repeated behaviour? Psychology, Health and Medicine, 12(2), 213 - 224.
- Lester H,Freemantle N,Wilson S,Sorohan H,England E,Griffin C,Shankar A (2007) Cluster randomised controlled trial of the effectiveness of primary care mental health workers. British Journal of General Practice, 57(536), 196 - 203.
- Shankar A,Stoller D,Hamer M Multiple health behaviours and cognitive function: Results from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing.
- de Oliveira C,Shankar A Social inequalities in biomarkers: findings from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing.
- Shankar A,McMunn A,Steptoe A Loneliness, social isolation and health behaviours in older adults..
- Shankar A,McMunn A,Steptoe A The effect of marital status transitions on health behaviour in older people..
- 2006: Doctor of Philosophy, University of Leeds
- 2002: Master of Science, University of Leeds
- 2001: Master of Arts, University of Pune
- 2000: Bachelor of Arts, University of Pune