Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Prof Dame Anne Johnson
Telephone:020 3108 2087
Address:423 UCL Institute of Epidemiology and Health Care,
Mortimer Market Centre, Off Capper Street,
Appointments:Professor of Infectious Disease, Infection & Population Health, Institute of Epidemiology & Health
Anne M. Johnson (MD FMedSci FRCP FFPH FRCGP) is Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology at University College London. She is Chair of the UCL Grand Challenge of Global Health and Chair of the UCL Population Health Domain. From 2002-2010 she was Head of the Department of Primary care and Population Sciences and then Director of the Division of Population Health. After training in medicine in Cambridge and Newcastle, she specialized in Epidemiology and Public Health. She has worked in research in the epidemiology and prevention of HIV and sexually transmitted infections and other infectious diseases for over 20 years. She co-directed the Medical Research Council, UK Centre for Co-ordinating Epidemiological Studies of HIV and AIDS from 1985 until 1999. She was principal investigator on the 1990 first National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal 1990), Natsal 2000 and on MRC/Wellcome Trust funded Natsal 2010. Her current research portfolio includes international HIV cohort studies, behavioural intervention studies and a community study of the epidemiological and immunological determinants of seasonal influenza transmission (MRC Fluwatch). Her studies include collaborations with colleagues in Europe, Africa and China. She has advised a number of national and international bodies. This includes Deputy Chair of the MRC Infection and Immunity Board from 2004-2007, Member of Department of Trade and Industry Expert Advisory Group, Foresight Detection and Identification of Infectious Diseases Project from 2004-2007, Member of the DoH Specialist Advisory Committee on Antimicrobial Resistance from 2001-2007, Member Working Party on Public Health: Ethical Issues (Nuffield Council for Bioethics) in 2007. She was Chair of the MRC Population Health Sciences Group and member of the MRC Strategy Board until end 2010. She is a member of the Adaptation Sub-committee of the Committee on Climate Change. In 2011 she was appointed to the Board of Governors of the Wellcome Trust. She is a former non-Executive Director of the Whittington NHS Trust. She was made Dame Commander of the British Empire in the 2013 Queen's Birthday Honours List.
- Epidemiology and Control of HIV
- Epidemiology and Control of Infectious disease
- Infectious Disease Research Network
- sexually transmitted infections and other infectious diseases
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Johnson AM,Macdowall W,Gibson L,Tanton C,Mercer CH,Lewis R,Clifton S,Field N,Datta J,Mitchell K,Sonnenberg P,Erens B,Copas AJ,Phelps A,Wellings K (2013) Lifetime prevalence, associated factors and circumstances of non-volitional sex among women and men: Findings from the third British National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal) Lancet.
- Johnson AM,Mitchell K,Mercer CH,Ploubidis G,Jones K,Datta J,Field N,Copas AJ,Tanton C,Erens B,Sonnenberg P,Clifton S,Macdowall W,Phelps A,Johnson AM,Wellings K (2013) Understanding sexual function in the general population: Findings from the third British National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal) Lancet.
- Wellings K,Jones K,Mercer CH,Tanton C,Clifton S,Copas AJ,Datta J,Erens B,Macdowall W,Gibson L,Sonnenberg P,Phelps A,Johnson AM (2013) Prevalence, associated factors and the context of unplanned pregnancy: Findings from the third British National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal) Lancet.
- Horner PJ,Wills GS,Reynolds R,Johnson AM,Muir DA,Winston A,Broadbent AJ,Parker D,McClure MO (2013) Effect of time since exposure to Chlamydia trachomatis on chlamydia antibody detection in women: a cross-sectional study SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS, 89(5), 398 - 403. 10.1136/sextrans-2011-050386.
- Shallcross LJ,Fragaszy E,Johnson AM,Hayward AC (2013) The role of the Panton-Valentine leucocidin toxin in staphylococcal disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis, 13(1), 43 - 54. 10.1016/S1473-3099(12)70238-4.
- Lampe F,Speakman A,Sherr L,Phillips A,Collins S,Gilson R,Johnson M,Fisher M,Wilkins E,Anderson J,Daskalopoulou M,Edwards S,McDonnell J,Perry N,Jones M,O'Connell R,Lascar M,Hart G,Johnson A,Miners A,Geretti A,Burman W,Elford J,Rodger A (2013) Psychological and physical symptoms and sexual behaviour among HIV-diagnosed men who have sex with men (MSM) in the UK HIV MEDICINE, 14, 2 - 2.
- Aldridge RW,Cole K,Hurst L,Capewell S,Johnson AM,McKee M,McPherson K,Horton R (2013) Public health science: a call for abstracts LANCET, 381(9869), 789 - 789.
- Phillips AN,Cambiano V,Nakagawa F,Brown AE,Lampe F,Rodger A,Miners A,Elford J,Hart G,Johnson AM,Lundgren J,Delpech VC (2013) Increased HIV incidence in men who have sex with men despite high levels of ART-induced viral suppression: analysis of an extensively documented epidemic. PLoS One, 8(2), e55312. 10.1371/journal.pone.0055312.
- Huang X,Li W,Li N,Wu H,Lodi S,Porter K,Fox Z,Phillips A,Johnson AM,Lutsar I,Kelleher A,Xu X (2013) Rate of CD4 decline and HIV-RNA change following HIV seroconversion in men who have sex with men: A comparison between the Beijing PRIMO and CASCADE cohorts Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 62(4), 441 - 446. 10.1097/QAI.0b013e31827f5c9a.
- Phillips A,Cambiano V,Nakagawa F,Brown A,Lampe F,Rodger A,Miners A,Elford J,Johnson A,Hart G,Lundgren J,Delpech V (2012) Increased HIV incidence in men who have sex with men despite high levels of ART use: analysis of an extensively documented epidemic JOURNAL OF THE INTERNATIONAL AIDS SOCIETY, 15, 15 - 15. 10.7448/IAS.15.6.18174.
- Johnson AM,Mercer CH,Beddows S,et al (2012) Epidemiology of, and behavioural risk factors for sexually transmitted human papilloma virus infection in men and women in Britain Sexually Transmitted Infections, 88, 212 - 217. 10.1136/sextrans-2011-050306.
- Aghaizu A,Mercey D,Copas A,Johnson AM,Hart G,Nardone A (2012) Who would use PrEP? Factors associated with intention to use among MSM in London: A community survey Sexually Transmitted Infections.
- Rodger AJ,Tedder RS,Fries L,Ijaz S (2012) The diversity and management of chronic hepatitis B virus infections in the UK – A wake up call Clinical Infectious Diseases.
- Phillips A,Cambiano V,Nakagawa F,Brown A,Lampe F,Rodger A,Miners A,Elford J,Johnson A,Hart G,Lundgren J,Delpech V (2012) Increased HIV incidence in men who have sex with men despite high levels of ART use: analysis of an extensively documented epidemic. J Int AIDS Soc, 15(6), 18174.
- Lampe F,Speakman A,Phillips A,Sherr L,Gilson R,Johnson M,Fisher M,Wilkins E,Anderson J,Edwards S,McDonnell J,Perry N,Aderogba K,Hart G,Johnson A,Collins S,Elford J,Miners A,Geretti A,Burman B,Rodger A (2012) ART use, viral suppression, and sexual behaviour among HIV-diagnosed MSM in the UK: results from the Antiretrovirals, Sexual Transmission Risk and Attitudes (ASTRA) Study. J Int AIDS Soc, 15(6), 18143.
- Mercer CH,Robinson C,Craig R,Nardone A,Johnson AM (2012) MEASURING SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR COMES OF AGE: A COMPARISON OF OUTCOMES IN THE 2010 HEALTH SURVEY FOR ENGLAND WITH THE NATIONAL SURVEY OF SEXUAL ATTITUDES AND LIFESTYLES JOURNAL OF EPIDEMIOLOGY AND COMMUNITY HEALTH, 66, A29 - A29. 10.1136/jech-2012-201753.074.
- Johnson AM (2012) 30 years on: What can HIV treatment do for HIV prevention? Public Health. 10.1016/j.puhe.2012.05.019.
- Johnson AM (2012) Experiences as an editor. AIDS, 26(10), 1201 - 1202. 10.1097/QAD.0b013e328354b378.
- Fakoya I,Johnson A,Fenton K,Anderson J,Nwokolo N,Sullivan A,Munday P,Burns F (2012) Religion and HIV diagnosis among Africans living in London. HIV Med, 13(10), 617 - 622. 10.1111/j.1468-1293.2012.01031.x.
- Nardone A,Robinson C,Craig R,Woodhall S,Talebi A,Mercer C,Johnson AM (2012) ESTIMATION OF POPULATION COVERAGE OF CHLAMYDIA TESTING AMONG YOUNG ADULTS IN ENGLAND IN 2010 SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS, 88, A32 - A32. 10.1136/sextrans-2012-050601c.67.
- Mercer CH,Robinson C,Craig R,Nardone A,Johnson AM (2012) ASKING ABOUT SEX IN GENERAL HEALTH SURVEYS: IT CAN BE DONE! COMPARING DATA COLLECTED BY THE 2010 HEALTH SURVEY FOR ENGLAND WITH NATSAL SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS, 88, A74 - A75. 10.1136/sextrans-2012-050601c.195.
- Aghaizu A,Mercey D,Copas A,Johnson A,Hart G,Nardone A (2012) Who would use PrEP? Predictors of use among MSM in London HIV MEDICINE, 13, 8 - 8.
- Lampe F,Speakman A,Phillips A,Sherr L,Gilson R,Johnson M,Fisher M,Anderson J,Wilkins E,Broussard C,McDonnell J,Perry N,Scourse R,George V,Hart G,Johnson A,Collins S,Miners A,Elford J,Geretti A-M,Burman W,Rodger A (2012) Depression and virological status among UK HIV outpatients: results from a multicentre study HIV MEDICINE, 13, 4 - 4.
- Field N,Tanton C,Mercer CH,Nicholson S,Soldan K,Beddows S,Ison C,Johnson AM,Sonnenberg P (2012) Testing for sexually transmitted infections in a population-based sexual health survey: development of an acceptable ethical approach. J Med Ethics, 38(6), 380 - 382. 10.1136/medethics-2011-100068.
- Lampe F,Speakman A,Phillips A,Sherr L,Gilson R,Johnson M,Fisher M,Wilkins E,Anderson J,Edwards S,McDonnell J,Perry N,Aderogba K,Hart G,Johnson A,Collins S,Elford J,Miners A,Geretti A,Burman B,Rodger A (2012) ART use, viral suppression, and sexual behaviour among HIV-diagnosed MSM in the UK: results from the Antiretrovirals, Sexual Transmission Risk and Attitudes (ASTRA) Study JOURNAL OF THE INTERNATIONAL AIDS SOCIETY, 15, 14 - 15. 10.7448/IAS.15.6.18143.
- Mercer CH,Johnson AM,de Silva N,Beddows S,Desai S,Howell-Jones R,Carder C,Sonnenberg P,Lowndes CM,Soldan K (2011) EPIDEMIOLOGY OF, AND BEHAVIOURAL RISK FACTORS FOR, SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS INFECTION IN A SAMPLE OF THE BRITISH POPULATION SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS, 87, A23 - A23. 10.1136/sextrans-2011-050109.7.
- Tanton C,Phelps A,Nicholson S,Mercer C,Sonnenberg P,Datta J,Macdowall W,Erens B,Wellings K,Johnson A (2011) SELLING SEX ON THE DOORSTEP: DEVELOPMENT WORK FOR THE THIRD BRITISH NATIONAL SURVEY OF SEXUAL ATTITUDES AND LIFESTYLES (NATSAL 3) SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS, 87, A239 - A239. 10.1136/sextrans-2011-050108.327.
- Field N,Tanton C,Mercer C,Nicholson S,Sjordin S,Soldan K,Beddows S,Ison C,Johnson A,Sonnenberg P (2011) TESTING FOR STIS IN POPULATION-BASED SEXUAL HEALTH SURVEYS WITHOUT RETURNING RESULTS: DEVELOPMENT OF AN ETHICAL AND PRAGMATIC APPROACH SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED INFECTIONS, 87, A96 - A96. 10.1136/sextrans-2011-050109.168.
- Estcourt C,Sutcliffe L,Cassell J,Mercer CH,Copas AJ,James L,Low N,Horner P,Clarke M,Symonds M,Roberts T,Tsourapas A,Johnson AM (2011) Can we improve partner notification rates through expedited partner therapy in the UK? Findings from an exploratory trial of accelerated partner therapy (APT) Sexually Transmitted Infections. 10.1136/sti.2010.047258.
- Fleming N,Johnson A (2011) Let's talk about sex NEW SCIENTIST, 212(2838), 32 - 33.
- Griffiths C,Johnson AM,Fenton K,Erens B,B H,Wellings K,Mercer CH (2011) Attitudes and first heterosexual experiences among Indians and Parkistanis in Britain: Evidence from a national probability survey International Journal of STD and AIDS, 22(3), 131 - 139.
- Lodi S,Phillips A,Touloumi G,Geskus R,Meyer L,Thiebaut R,Pantazis N,del Amo J,Johnson AM,Babiker A,Porter K,CASCADE Collaboration EuroCoord (2011) Time From Human Immunodeficiency Virus Seroconversion to Reaching CD4+ Cell Count Thresholds < 200, < 350, and < 500 Cells/mm(3): Assessment of Need Following Changes in Treatment Guidelines CLIN INFECT DIS, 53(8), 817 - 825. 10.1093/cid/cir494.
- Huang XJ,Lodi S,Fox Z,Johnson A,Porter K,Xu XN,Wu H (2011) Patterns of decrease in CD4 cell count after seroconversion: comparison between Beijing PRIMO cohort and CASCADE seroconverter cohorts INT J INFECT DIS, 15, S36 - S37.
- Costello A,Maslin M,Montgomery H,Johnson AM,Ekins P (2011) Global health and climate change: moving from denial and catastrophic fatalism to positive action. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci, 369(1942), 1866 - 1882. 10.1098/rsta.2011.0007.
- Mitchell KR,Wellings K,Nazareth I,King M,Mercer CH,Johnson AM (2011) Scripting sexual function: a qualitative investigation. Sociol Health Illn, 33(4), 540 - 553. 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2011.01318.x.
- Parkes A,Strange V,Wight D,Bonell C,Copas A,Henderson M,Buston K,Stephenson J,Johnson A,Allen E,Hart G (2011) Comparison of Teenagers' Early Same-Sex and Heterosexual Behavior: UK Data From the SHARE and RIPPLE Studies J ADOLESCENT HEALTH, 48(1), 27 - 35. 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.05.010.
- Walker K,Seaman SR,De Angelis D,Presanis AM,Dodds JP,Johnson AM,Mercey D,Gill ON,Copas AJ (2011) A synthesis of convenience survey and other data to estimate undiagnosed HIV infection among men who have sex with men in England and Wales International Journal of Epidemiology, 40(5), 1358 - 1366. 10.1093/ije/dyr125.
- Shallcross LJ,Williams K,Hopkins S,Aldridge RW,Johnson AM,Hayward AC (2010) Panton-Valentine leukocidin associated staphylococcal disease: a cross-sectional study at a London hospital, England. Clin Microbiol Infect, 16(11), 1644 - 1648. 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2010.03153.x.
- Fries L,Rodger A,Ijaz S,Moreea S,Bathgate A,Wong T,Rosenberg WM,Bassendine MF,Mills PR,Ryder SD,Mutimer DJ,Dusheiko GM,Jacobs M,Dillon JF,Anderson M,Collier JD,Hussaini H,Bird G,Tedder RS,Rosenberg G,Banatvala J,Williams R,Naoumov NV,Chokshi S,Thursz MR,Johnson A (2010) CHRONIC HEPATITIS B VIRUS INFECTION IN THE UK: A MULTICENTRE STUDY OF CLINICAL AND VIROLOGICAL CHARACTERISTICS HEPATOLOGY, 52(4), 675A - 675A.
- Fries L,Rodger A,Dusheiko G,Ijaz S,Tedder R,Banatvala J,Williams R,Naoumov N,Puranik S,Chokshi S,Wong T,Rosenberg W,Moreea S,Bathgate A,Jacobs M,Mills P,Mutimer D,Bassendine M,Ryder S,Thursz M,Johnson A (2010) COLLABORATIVE UK STUDY OF CHRONIC HEPATITIS B VIRUS INFECTION JOURNAL OF HEPATOLOGY, 52, S278 - S278.
- Fisher M,Pao D,Brown AE,Sudarshi D,Gill ON,Cane P,Buckton AJ,Parry JV,Johnson AM,Sabin C,Pillay D (2010) Determinants of HIV-1 transmission in men who have sex with men: a combined clinical, epidemiological and phylogenetic approach AIDS, 24(11), 1739 - 1747. 10.1097/QAD.0b013e32833ac9c6.
- Johnson AM (2010) Introduction. Wellcome Witness to Twentieth Century Medicine, xix - xxiii.
- Cowan FM,Pascoe SJ,Langhaug LF,Mavhu W,Chidiya S,Jaffar S,Mbizvo MT,Stephenson JM,Johnson AM,Power RM,Woelk G,Hayes RJ,Regai Dzive Shiri trial team (2010) The Regai Dzive Shiri project: results of a randomized trial of an HIV prevention intervention for youth. AIDS, 24(16), 2541 - 2552. 10.1097/QAD.0b013e32833e77c9.
- Shallcross LJ,Williams K,Hopkins S,Aldridge RW,Johnson AM,Hayward AC (2009) Panton Valentine Leukocidin associated Staphylococcal Disease: A Cross Sectional Study at a London Hospital, England. Clin Microbiol Infect. 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2009.03153.x.
- Mercer CH,Hart GJ,Johnson AM,Cassell JA (2009) Behaviourally bisexual men as a bridge population for HIV and sexually transmitted infections? Evidence from a national probability survey. Int J STD AIDS, 20(2), 87 - 94. 10.1258/ijsa.2008.008215.
- Burns FM,Arthur G,Johnson AM,Nazroo J,Fenton KA,on BOTSONHIACG (2009) United Kingdom acquisition of HIV infection in African residents in London: more than previously thought AIDS, 23(2), 262 - 266.
- Mercer CH,Hart GJ,Johnson AM,Cassell JA (2009) Behaviourally bisexual men as a bridge population for HIV and sexually transmitted infections? Evidence from a national probability survey International Journal of STD and AIDS, 20, 87 - 94. 10.1258/isja.2008.008215.
- Brown AE,Murphy G,Rinck G,Clewley JP,Hill C,Parry JV,Johnson AM,Pillay D,Gill ON (2009) Implications for HIV testing policy derived from combining data on voluntary confidential testing with viral sequences and serological analyses Sexually Transmitted Infections, 85, 4 - 9. 10.1136/sti.2008.031831.
- Brown AE,Gifford RJ,Clewley JP,Kucherer C,Masquelier B,Porter K,Balotta C,Back NKT,Bruun Jorgensen L,de Mendoza C,Bhaskaran K,Gill ON,Johnson AJ,Pillay D (2009) Phylogenetic reconstruction of transmission events from individuals with acute HIV infection: Toward more-rigorous epidemiological definitions The Journal of Infectious Diseases, 199, 427 - 431. 10.1086/596049.
- Evans HE,Mercer CH,Rait G,Hamill M,Delpech V,Hughes G,Brook G,Williams T,Johnson AM,Singh S,Petersen I,Chadborn T,Cassell JA (2009) Trends in HIV testing and recording of HIV status in the UK primary care setting: a retrospective cohort study 1995-2005 Sexually Transmitted Infections, 85(7), 520 - 526.
- 1984: Master of Science, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- 1982: Member of the Royal College of Physicians, Royal College of Physicians
- 1979: Master of Arts, University of Cambridge
- 1978: Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
- 1974: Bachelor of Arts, University of Cambridge
- HIV infection
- Hospital-aquired infections
- Infectious disease
- Population Survey methods
- Public health
- Sexually transmitted infections