Using the PHP code extracts allows Academic Staff Profiles to be displayed in a number of different styles including the tabbed format shown below - the data is provided dynamically from the IRIS application, while maintaning the consistent look and feel of your site.
Dr Ailbhe McDonald
Telephone:020 7915 1136
Fax:020 7915 1028
Address:Prosthodontics Unit UCL Eastman Dental Institiute,
256 Grays Inn Rd. London,
Appointments:Senior Lecturer/ Honorary Consultant, Restorative Dental Sciences, Eastman Dental Institute
Dr McDonald is interested in Zirconia and implants and collaborates with the Biomaterials unit exploring their innovative aspects. Her clinical research focuses on tooth restorability, when to restore or extract teeth and the decision making process. She also works with Microbiology in the evaluation of nasal and oral carriage of MRSA and innovative modes of decontamination.
- Clinical trials
Displaying 50 most recent publications. For the full list please visit UCL Discovery
- Pereira JR,McDonald A,Petrie A,Knowles JC (2013) Effect of cavity design on tooth surface strain. J Prosthet Dent. 10.1016/j.prosdent.2013.08.004.
- Glynne-Jones R,Sebag-Montefiore D,Adams R,McDonald A,Gollins S,James R,Northover JM,Meadows HM,Jitlal M,UKCCCR Anal Cancer Trial Working Party (2011) "Mind the gap"--the impact of variations in the duration of the treatment gap and overall treatment time in the first UK Anal Cancer Trial (ACT I). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 81(5), 1488 - 1494. 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.07.1995.
- Polyzois I,Claffey N,Quinn F,Mcdonald A,Hussey D (2011) Can evaluation of a dental procedure at the outset of learning predict later performance at the preclinical level? A pilot study European Journal of Dental Education, 15(2), 104 - 109. 10.1111/j.1600-0579.2010.00647.x.
- Lee D,Howlett J,Pratten J,Mordan N,McDonald A,Wilson M,Ready D (2009) Susceptibility of MRSA biofilms to denture-cleansing agents: Research Letter FEMS Microbiology Letters, 291(2), 241 - 246. 10.1111/j.1574-6968.2008.01463.x.
- Pittayachawan P,McDonald AV,Young AM,Knowles JC (2009) Flexural strength, fatigue life and stress-induced phase transformation study of Y-TZP dental ceramic Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, 88B(2), 366 - 377.
- Murphy F,McDonald AV,Petrie A,Palmer G,Setchell DJ (2009) Coronal tooth structure in root-treated teeth prepared for complete and partial coverage restorations Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 36(6), 451 - 461.
- Lewis NJ,Tredwin CJ,Moles DR,McDonald A (2008) Clinical effectiveness of 10% versus 16% carbamide peroxide whitening gels Journal of Dental Research, 87(Special Issue C), 1 - 1.
- Tsalouchou E,Cattell MJ,Knowles JC,Pittayachawan P,McDonald AV (2008) Fatigue and fracture properties of yttria partially stabilized zirconia crown systems Dental Materials, 24(3), 308 - 318.
- Pittayachawan P,McDonald A,Petrie A,Knowles JC (2007) The biaxial flexural strength and fatigue property of Lava(TM) Y-TZP dental ceramic Dental Materials, 23(8), 1018 - 1029. 10.1016/j.dental.2006.09.003.
- Wang WC,McDonald A,Petrie A,Setchell DJ (2007) Interface dimensions of CEREC-3 MOD onlays European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry, 15(4), 183 - 189.
- Hussain SKF,McDonald A,Moles DR (2007) In vitro study investigating the mass of tooth structure removed following endodontic and restorative procedures Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, 98(4), 260 - 269.
- Walshe A,McDonald AV,Young A,Tredwin CJ (2006) Teeth whitening - what do we know? Aesthetic and Implant Dentistry, 8(2), 10 - 16.
- Bandlish RB,McDonald A,Setchell DJ (2006) Assessment of the amount of remaining coronal dentine in root-treated teeth Journal of Dentistry, 34(9), 699 - 708. 10.1016/j.jdent.2006.01.002.
- Patel D,McDonald AV (2005) Restorative management of a cleft palate patient Aesthetic and Implant Dentistry, 7(3), 44 - 53.
- Hussain SKF,McDonald AV,Moles DR (2005) In-vitro study investigating mass of tooth structure removed following restorative procedures Journal of Dental Research, 84(Special Issue A), 1 - 1.
- McDonald AV,Setchell DJ (2005) Developing a tooth restorability index Dental Update, 32(6), 343 - 348.
- McDonald AV (2004) Albers Tooth-Coated Restoratives: Principles and Techniques. Harry F. Albers, ninth edn.; ISBN 1550091557; BC Decker Inc; 2002 Oral Diseases, 10(1), 61 - 61.
- Quinn F,Keogh P,McDonald AV,Hussey DL (2003) A study comparing the effectiveness of conventional training and virtual reality simulation in the skills acquisition of junior dental students European Journal of Dental Education, 7(4), 164 - 169.
- Harrington Z,McDonald A,Knowles JC (2003) An in vitro study to investigate the load at fracture of Procera AllCeram crowns with various thickness of occlusal veneer porcelain International Journal of Prosthodontics, 16(1), 54 - 58.
- Benny-Wilson G,McDonald AV,Setchell DJ (2003) Survival analysis of all-ceramic restorations European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry, 11(1), 45 - 45.
- Quinn F,Keogh P,McDonald AV,Hussey D (2003) A pilot study comparing the effectiveness of conventional training and virtual reality simulation in the skills acquisition of junior dental students European Journal of Dental Education, 7(1), 13 - 19.
- Webber BL,McDonald A,Knowles JC (2003) An in vitro study of the compressive load at fracture of Procera AllCeram crowns with varying thickness of veneer porcelain Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, 89(2), 154 - 160. 10.1067/mpr.2003.85.
- Bandlish RB,McDonald AV,Setchell DJ (2002) Assessment of the amount of coronal dentine in root-filled teeth Journal of Dental Research, 81(Special Issue A), A-326 - A-326.
- Quinn F,Keogh P,McDonald AV,Hussey DL (2002) A comparative study of virtual reality based and conventional training Journal of Dental Research, 81(Special Issue B), B-297 - B-297.
- Quinn F,Keogh P,McDonald A,Hussey D (2002) A comparative study of virtual reality based and conventional training. JOURNAL OF DENTAL RESEARCH, 81, B297 - B297.
- Bandlish RB,McDonald AV,Setchell DJ (2002) Assessment of the amount of coronal dentine in root-filled teeth. J DENT RES, 81, A326 - A326.
- McDonald AV,Claffey N,Pearson GJ,Blau W,Setchell DJ (2002) The effect of Nd:YAG radiation at nanosecond pulse duration on dentine crater depth Biomaterials, 23(1), 51 - 58. 10.1016/S0142-9612(01)00078-3.
- Quinn F,Keogh P,McDonald AV,Hussey DL (2001) Traditional training versus VRBT in skills acquisition of dental students Journal of Dental Research, 80(4), 1156 - 1156.
- McDonald AV,Claffey N,Pearson GJ,Blau W,Setchell DJ (2001) The effect of Nd:YAG pulse duration on dentine crater depth Journal of Dentistry, 29(1), 43 - 53. 10.1016/S0300-5712(00)00046-4.
- McDonald AV (2001) Preparation guidelines for full and partial coverage ceramic restorations Dental Update, 28(2), 84 - 90.
- McDonald AV (2001) Advances in operative dentistry and fixed prosthodontics Primary Dental Care, 8(1), 13 - 16.
- Webber BL,McDonald AV,Knowles JC (2000) Procera AllCeram crowns: fracture load with varying veneer porcelain thicknesses Journal of Dental Research, 79(Special Issue), 270 - 270.
- McDonald AV,Claffey NM,Pearson GJ,Blau W,Setchell DJ (2000) Effect of Nd:YAG radiation at millisecond pulse duration on dentine crater depth. Lasers Surg Med, 27(3), 213 - 223.
- McDonald AV (2000) Posterior ceramic restorations Dental Practice, 38(3), 13 - 16.
- Madani M,Chu FCS,McDonald AV,Smales FC (2000) Effects of surface treatment on shear bond strengths between a resin cement and an alumina core Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, 83(6), 644 - 647.
- Gow AM,McDonald AV,Pearson GJ,Setchell DJ (1999) An in vitro investigation of the temperature rises produced in dentine by Nd:YAG laser light with and without water cooling. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent, 7(2), 71 - 77.
- McDonald AJ,Gemmel F,Lewis P (1998) Investigation of the utility of spectral vegetation indices for determining information on coniferous forests Remote Sensing of Environment, 66(3), 250 - 272.
- Blackwell DA,McDonald A,Robertson G,Setchell DJ (1998) The seating discrepancy of a post and core using 5 luting agents J DENT RES, 77, 813 - 813.
- McDonald AV (1998) Oral radiosurgery: an illustrated clinical guide, 2nd edition (1997) European Journal of Orthodontics, 20(3), 341 - 341.
- McDonald AV,Pearson GJ,Claffey NM,Blau W (1997) A quantitative evaluation of the effect on dentine of 3 differing pulse duration Nd:YAG lasers Journal of Dental Research, 76(5), 1083 - 1083.
- McDonald AV,University OD (1997) A Study of the Effect of Nd:YAG Lasers on Dentine. Thesis for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy at the University of Dublin, 1 - 294.
- McDonald A,Pearson GJ,Claffey NM,Blau W (1996) A quantitative evaluation of the effect on dentin of a picosecond Nd-YAG laser Journal of Dental Research, 75(5), 1159 - 1159.
- Gow A,McDonald A,Pearson G,Setchell D (1996) Temperature rises in dentine using infrared laser, wet and dry. J DENT RES, 75(5), 1159 - 1159.
- McDonald AV (1996) Quick quizzes, 23(1), 40 - 42.
- Seow L,Wickens JL,McDonald AV,Davies E,Pearson GJ (1995) An investigation of the flexural strength of IPS-Empress, In-Ceram and Vitadur Alpha porcelain Journal Of Dental Research, 74(3), 857 - 857.
- McDonald AV,Pearson GJ,Claffey N,Blau W (1995) A qualitative evaluation of the effect of Nd-YAG pulse duration on dentin interaction Journal Of Dental Research, 74(3), 829 - 829.
- McDonald AV (1995) Quick quizzes, 22(10), 436 - 438.
- Jamjoum H,Pearson GJ,McDonald AV (1995) A comparative study of etching enamel by acid and laser Lasers in Medical Science, 10(1), 37 - 42.
- O'Sullivan M,McDonald AV,Setchell DJ,Glover R (1995) Porcelain veneers: marginal opening by various clinical/laboratory techniques (on refractory dies) Journal Of Dental Research, 74(3), 857 - 857.
- PEARSON GJ,MCDONALD AV (1994) INVITED REVIEW USE OF INFRARED AND ULTRA-VIOLET LASERS IN THE REMOVAL OF DENTAL HARD-TISSUE LASER MED SCI, 9(4), 227 - 237.
- 1997: Doctor of Philosophy, Trinity College Dublin
- 1990: Fellow of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- 1986: Master of Science, University College London
- 1981: Bachelor of Science, Trinity College Dublin
- Atomic force microscopy
- Cell culture
- Infectious diseases
- Oral mucosal disease
- Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs)
- Restorative Implants