Welcome to UCL Teaching and Learning Network (TLN)
The TLN is an informal network for UCL staff. We share ideas and resources and discuss new developments in teaching, learning and assessment. The network is co-ordinated by the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT) and the Learning Technology Support Service (LTSS). The idea is to showcase good practice from UCL, and occasionally to bring in outside experts.
TLN lunchtime sessions
In previous years the TLN has held monthly sessions on a Wednesday, but this year we are trying a new format with a series of lunchtime presentations, every fortnight, on different days of the week. The format is a 25-30 minute presentation followed by up to 15 minutes for questions, and discussion and networking.
You are invited to bring your own lunch - cold drinks will be provided.
Dates for spring 2011
All sessions are held from 1.05 pm-1.55 pm. All sessions will be held in Cruciform Lecture Theatre 2.
- Tue 1st Feb - E-learning challenges and self-test learning initiatives in a multi-site Australian medical school - David Emmett (Queensland School of Medicine) View the recording
- Wed 16th Feb - Supporting personal tutors in supporting key skills Jenny Marie, CALT & Pam Houston, Division of Biosciences View the recording
- Fri 4th March - Round the lighthouse and back in time for ...Casablanca! - Using feature films in the classroom - Melvyn Stokes (History). View the recording
- Thu 17th March - Teaching Croatian - Ivana Vrtic
- Mon 28th March - Digital stories, teaching students, and public engagement: Three points on a virtuous circle. Dominic Furniss and Rachel Benedyk, UCL Interaction Centre (UCLIC) View the recording
- Wed 30th March - OER@UCL: Open Educational Resources. Jane Hughes (CALT) and Ulrich Tiedau (Dutch)
Thurs 17th March (3:15-4:45pm)- Syntactic borrowing as a source of syntactic change: the case of old Croatian Bible translations - Dr Ivana
G01, 16-18 Gordon Square.
Last term's sessions
- Thur 28th Oct - Tools for the 21st century teacher - Fiona Strawbridge (LTSS) - view the recording
- Thur 4th Nov - Psychology students at both ends of the microscope: learning by self experimentation - Daniel Richardson (Cognitive, Perceptual and Brain Sciences) - view the recording
- Mon 15th Nov - Understanding the web behaviour of the Google Generation - Ian Rowlands (Department of Information Studies)
- Wed 1st Dec - Online Collaboration Using Remote-Operated Laboratory Equipment - Ben Hanson (Department of Mechanical Engineering) View the recording
Ideas for session topics?
If you would like us to cover a particular topic, or want to volunteer a presentation for term 2, please let us know by contacting the TLN administrators
How to Join the Network
You can join by coming along to a session or by visiting the TLN space in Moodle.