Teaching and Learning Portal
- News and features
- UCL's teaching and learning priorities
- Global university
- Teaching and learning methods
- Tools and technologies
- Case studies
- Training and development
- Awards and funding
- Useful information
- Site map
"Teaching is about creating those moments where the world suddenly makes a little bit more sense."
Dr Ben Hanson, Department of Mechanical Engineering
PhD Supervisor Development
The relationship between an academic supervisor and a research student is a unique one, which evolves over several years to achieve a number of objectives:
- To provide the student with a thorough grounding in all aspects of research within the context of an academic discipline
- To prepare the student for a range of careers
- To create a learning experience that is intellectually challenging and personally fulfilling within a stimulating and supportive environment
- To ensure that students are able to complete their PhD in a timely manner
The nature of the relationship means that academic supervisors deal with a range of situations requiring a sensitive and informed approach. The resources below are available to support them.
Page last modified on 11 nov 11 11:21
Tell us about the inspiring teaching and learning taking place in your department: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7679 5992 (internal extension 45992).