Teaching and Learning Portal
- News and features
- UCL's teaching and learning priorities
- Teaching and learning methods
- Tools and technologies
- Case studies
- Professional development and qualifications
- Awards and funding
- Vice-Provost (Education & Student Affairs)
"Using Moodle to create interactive lessons for laboratory teaching enhances the learning experience of our students."
Dr Chris Blackman, Department of Chemistry
- Lecturecast: A system for recording lectures and events and making them available online
- Moodle: A virtual learning environment which enhances teaching by allowing staff to create their courses online
- Electronic voting systems: Teaching tools to establish students' knowledge and opinions
- E-Learning Environments (ELE): Supporting staff and students at UCL to use technology to enhance teaching and learning
- E-Learning Strategy 2012-2015
Blackboard Collaborate is a web conferencing system that allows students to participate in a lecture or seminar remotely. Students can watch the lecture on screen and interact with the teacher as if they were in a traditional classroom. This is particularly useful for distance-learning activities but can also be incorporated into campus-based teaching.
Features and benefits
Web conferencing software allows online collaboration regardless of geography and increases the potential number of students accessing a lecture. Live courses are delivered over the web and the system lends itself well to student projects, mentoring and tutoring.
Guest lecturers and remote experts are able to communicate easily with students, and the system can also be used to host meetings and peer-to-peer events. Recordings of events are made available for standard and mobile devices, providing a valuable resource for reinforcing learning.
Features of the Blackboard Collaborate web conferencing system include:
- Two-way audio
- Interactive whiteboard
- Sharing of PowerPoint slides
- Customisable screen interface
- Electronic voting
- Session recording
- Break-out rooms available for one-on-one time
- Multi-point video
- Text chat.
For more information and to book Blackboard Collaborate, contact E-Learning Environments (ELE).
Page last modified on 04 sep 14 10:36
Tell us about the inspiring teaching and learning taking place in your department: email firstname.lastname@example.org