Teaching and Learning Portal
- News and features
- UCL's teaching and learning priorities
- Global university
- Teaching and learning methods
- Tools and technologies
- Case studies
- Training and development
- Awards and funding
- Useful information
- Site map
"Teaching is about creating those moments where the world suddenly makes a little bit more sense."
Dr Ben Hanson, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Institutional Learning and Teaching Strategy 2010-2015
- Departmental Learning and Teaching Strategies: Guidance for drafters
- UCL Manifesto for Teaching and Learning
- UCL Assessment Strategy: Guidance for staff
- Academic manual: Compendium of key documents for staff
- Personal tutors: Online handbook
- Key skills website: Online advice for staff and students
- Academic regulations: Registry website
- Key documents for staff: Alphabetical list of online resources
- Online timetable: Search by subject, department or degree
Quality management and enhancement
UCL has adopted an academic-led quality management and enhancement (QME) strategy which makes the active, critical engagement of academic staff the driving force behind achieving the university's goals.
Examples of how this works in practice include:
- Discussion of policy development is conducted, and major decisions are taken, by the academic community working through the committee system
- QME processes are based on peer review by fellow academic staff who are active in research and teaching, rather than solely professional administrators
- Academic staff at all grades are actively involved in QME operations at department, faculty and institutional levels
Quality enhancement at UCL is about improving the quality of learning opportunities, including IT and library provision and staff development opportunities.
Key elements of UCL's approach to managing the enhancement of quality include:
- Internal quality review
- Annual and augmented annual monitoring
- Peer observation of teaching
- The external examiner system
- Student feedback mechanisms
- Committees with quality management responsibilities at institutional, faculty and department levels
Find out more about the academic quality review, monitoring and feedback framework in the Academic Manual.
Page last modified on 18 jan 12 10:26
Tell us about the inspiring teaching and learning taking place in your department: email firstname.lastname@example.org.