Teaching and Learning Portal
- News and features
- UCL's teaching and learning priorities
- Teaching and learning methods
- Tools and technologies
- Case studies
- Assessment and Feedback
- Internationalisation of the curriculum and global citizenship
- Key skills and PPD
- Large-group teaching
- Object-based learning
- Peer-assisted learning
- Peer observation of teaching
- Personal tutoring
- Problem-based learning
- Research-based learning
- Small-group teaching
- Teaching administration
- Professional development and qualifications
- Awards and funding
- Vice-Provost (Education & Student Affairs)
"The greatest way to learn something is to teach it; you really get tested."
Dr Andrea Sella, Dept of Chemistry
- Teaching and learning methods: explore ways of diversifying your teaching practice
- E-learning: learn about the software and online tools available to teachers at UCL
- UCL Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT): obtain expert advice on teaching and learn about professional development opportunities
- E-Learning Environments (ELE): UCL's team of e-learning specialists can help you get set up and advise on how to use the technologies available here
Research-based learning case studies
Below are some examples of research-based learning taking place around UCL.
From designing experiments to writing papers, Dr Hazel Smith explains how first-year Biology students took on the challenge of completing an intensive research project More...
Published: Sep 18, 2014 11:28:00 AM
Dr Steve Fossey reveals what he learned about research-based education from the supernova discovery More...
Published: Jun 30, 2014 3:21:30 PM
Would a student travel 270 miles to write an essay? How video assignments can boost student engagement
Professor Marcos Martinon-Torres, UCL Archaeology, presents an experiment in video that can easily be transferred to any discipline More...
Published: Jun 3, 2014 9:58:01 AM
At a UCL Arena Exchange session, Dr Alexandra Perovic, Lecturer in Clinical Linguistics, explained how she works with students on her research projects More...
Published: May 22, 2014 1:57:30 PM
Dr Bernadett Kalmar and Dr Barney Bryson have helped their masterclass students design their own research programmes. They shared their findings at a UCL Arena Exchange seminar More...
Published: May 12, 2014 1:17:16 PM
Professor Tim McHugh, Director of the UCL Centre for Clinical Microbiology, explains why working with and in resource-poor countries is so important, both for research and teaching. More...
Published: Aug 20, 2013 3:20:34 PM
Dr Chiara Ambrosio explains how this unique and innovative course works, and why it’s so beneficial for students. More...
Published: Aug 9, 2013 1:00:27 PM
In 2008/09 the Astrophysics department applied for funding to facilitate the participation of undergraduates in a collaborative research project. More...
Published: Aug 9, 2013 12:59:05 PM
In this video, Dr Benn Thomsen from UCL Electronic and Electrical Engineering discusses his experiences of using scenarios to aid the teaching of undergraduate students. The presentation slides are available to download below the video. More...
Published: Aug 9, 2013 12:51:29 PM
Dr Helene Burningham describes how instruments bought with help from the Teaching Equipment Fund have revolutionised teaching in the Department of Geography. More...
Published: Aug 9, 2013 12:48:25 PM
Dr Helen Chatterjee, Senior Lecturer in Biology and Deputy Director of Museums, explains why there are so many puzzled-looking students in the Grant Museum of Zoology. More...
Published: Aug 9, 2013 12:28:55 PM
In this video, Liz Jones from UCL Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEGE) discusses the pros and cons of using open-source Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in teaching undergraduate students. More...
Published: Aug 7, 2013 4:02:49 PM
- Please note that the case studies section of the Teaching and Learning Portal is a continually evolving resource. If you or your colleagues are involved in great projects or practices that others might be able to take inspiration from, please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find out more about research-based learning at UCL
- For discipline-specific advice on research-based learning, contact one of the CALT school-facing teaching fellows
Page last modified on 12 sep 13 10:46
Tell us about the inspiring teaching and learning taking place in your department: email email@example.com