Teaching and Learning Portal
- News and features
- UCL's teaching and learning priorities
- Teaching and learning methods
- Tools and technologies
- Case studies
- Assessment and Feedback
- Internationalisation of the curriculum and global citizenship
- Key skills and PPD
- Large-group teaching
- Object-based learning
- Peer-assisted learning
- Peer observation of teaching
- Personal tutoring
- Problem-based learning
- Research-based learning
- Small-group teaching
- Teaching administration
- Professional development and qualifications
- Awards and funding
- Vice-Provost (Education & Student Affairs)
"The greatest way to learn something is to teach it; you really get tested."
Dr Andrea Sella, Dept of Chemistry
- Teaching and learning methods: explore ways of diversifying your teaching practice
- E-learning: learn about the software and online tools available to teachers at UCL
- UCL Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT): obtain expert advice on teaching and learn about professional development opportunities
- E-Learning Environments (ELE): UCL's team of e-learning specialists can help you get set up and advise on how to use the technologies available here
Problem-based learning case studies
Below are some examples of problem-based learning taking place around UCL.
UCL Faculty of Laws delivered the first CPD course to win a Provost’s Teaching Award. Visiting Lecturer Mark Anderson shares his advice on creating engaging and effective CPD sessions More...
Published: Aug 6, 2014 4:28:43 PM
Dr Chiara Ambrosio explains how this unique and innovative course works, and why it’s so beneficial for students. More...
Published: Aug 9, 2013 1:00:27 PM
In this video, Dr Benn Thomsen from UCL Electronic and Electrical Engineering discusses his experiences of using scenarios to aid the teaching of undergraduate students. The presentation slides are available to download below the video. More...
Published: Aug 9, 2013 12:51:29 PM
Dr Helen Chatterjee, Senior Lecturer in Biology and Deputy Director of Museums, explains why there are so many puzzled-looking students in the Grant Museum of Zoology. More...
Published: Aug 9, 2013 12:28:55 PM
Dr Kamna Patel tells us about the week-long scenario-based learning exercise students at the Development Planning Unit (DPU) undertook in Autumn 2012. More...
Published: Aug 7, 2013 5:23:17 PM
In this video, Liz Jones from UCL Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEGE) discusses the pros and cons of using open-source Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in teaching undergraduate students. More...
Published: Aug 7, 2013 4:02:49 PM
- Please note that the case studies section of the Teaching and Learning Portal is a continually evolving resource. If you or your colleagues are involved in great projects or practices that others might be able to take inspiration from, please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- For discipline-specific advice on problem-based learning, contact one of the CALT school-facing teaching fellows
Page last modified on 12 sep 13 10:45
Tell us about the inspiring teaching and learning taking place in your department: email email@example.com