Institute of Orthopaedics
- Student programmes
- Research centres
- Academic Staff
- Administrative Staff
- Technical Staff
- Research Staff
- In the Spotlight
- Institute History
- Contact Us
- Musculoskeletal Regeneration Steering Group (MRSG)
Dr Ian Mccarthy
CT and RSA imaging are being used to study the maturation of regenerating tissue in leg lengthening and bone transport in patients requiring limb reconstruction, with the ultimate aim of evaluating techniques to improve outcome and reduce treatment time; patient-specific computational models of the regenerating tissue are constructed from the images. Mobility of bilateral lower limb amputees has been studied in a standard gait laboratory, and assessment techniques being developed for use during activities of daily living. Bone loss in spinal cord injured patients is being studied using peripheral quantitative CT, and corresponding changes in perfusion in bone is being measured with near infrared spectroscopy.
Prof David Marsh
- McCarthy ID, Bloomer Z, Gall A, Keen R, Ferguson-Pell M (2012). Changes in the structural and material properties of the tibia in patients with spinal cord injury.. Spinal Cord, 50(4), 333 - 337. doi:10.1038/sc.2011.143
- Faroug R, McCarthy ID, Meswania J, Janna S, Wilson D, Taylor SJG (2011). Strain response of an instrumented intramedullary nail to three-point bending. J Medical Engineering and Technology, 35(5), 275 - 282. doi:10.3109/03091902.2011.582227
- Faroug R, MCCARTHY I, Taylor S, Meswania J, Wilson D, Janna S (2011). Strain response of an instrumented intramedullary nailto three point bending.. Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, 35, 275 - 282.
- Sherlock L, Demmers TG, Goodship AE, MCCARTHY I, Wathes CM (2010). The relationship between physical activity and leg health in the broiler chicken.. British Poultry Science, 51, 22 - 30.
- Orskov M, Abdulghani S, MCCARTHY I, Soballe K, Flivik G (2010). Comparison of flanged and unflanged acetabular cup design.. Acta Orthopaedica, 81, 556 - 562.
- Visser J, MCCARTHY I, Marks L, Davis R (). The role of hip muscle strength in bilateral amputee mobility.. Prosthetics and Orthotics International, , - .
Page last modified on 09 jan 12 16:35