Sorry, this Silva Document is not viewable.
- UCL Staff Survey 2013
- New ASPIRE Lecturers
- MSc in Burns, Plastics & Reconstructive Surgery - 2013/14 student intake doubled
- Division of Surgery Away Day 2013
- UCL Tour d'Europe 2013
- Launch of CPD in Perioperative Fluid Therapy
- Unveiling of the Jerry Kirk Seminar Room, Royal Free Hospital
- IOMS wins award for Innovation & Excellence in Education
- UCLU Medical Society Research Section to offer 10 MBBS students £400 bursary
- Horizon 2020
- Staff Spotlight - Dr Wenhui Song
- Professor Mark Emberton on BBC Radio 4 - Inside Health
- UCL Medical School Staff Awards 2013
- Dr Kurinchi Gurusamy wins award for Innovation & Excellence in Education
- Movember Centres of Excellence
- Caroline Moore Awarded Funding from PCUK and Movember
- UCL Centre for Nanotechnology & Regenerative Medicine
- Staff Spotlight - Dr Jemma Kerns
- UCL Centre for Nanotechnology & Regenerative Medicine Awarded 3-Year EPSRC Studentship
- The Stroke Association Awards Funding for ECST-2
- ITAP on the BBC
- Melissa Bovis Hosts Nanotechnology Workshop at Science Museum Lates
- MSc in Nanotechnology & Regenerative Medicine Open Day - 2nd June 2014
- Professor Sandy MacRobert Awarded TSB/MRC Biomedical Catalyst Grant
- Dr Kurinchi Gurusamy Awarded £300,000 by NIHR to deliver 30 Cochrane Reviews
- Peter Smitham Awarded BORS Travelling Fellowship
- Staff Spotlight - Dr Laurence Lovat
- Hashim Ahmed awarded funding from PCUK
- Dr Kate Ricketts awarded funding from WTISSF & STFC
- President-Elect of Royal College of Surgeons to visit Division
- Division awarded Athena SWAN Bronze Award
- Novel Randomised Trial in Prostate Cancer awarded St Peters Trust/Royal Free Charity grant
- Public Engagement: Building Bridges Project - Science Museum 2014
- UCL Provost visits Stanmore
- Staff Spotlight - Dr Rui Loureiro
- Dr Dimitri Mikhailidis announced as top expert in research of hyperlipidemias
- Prasad Sawadkar, PhD student, awarded Best Scientific Oral Presentation at TCES annual meeting
- MSc in Performing Arts Medicine - an interview with the BMJ
- Clinical Research Workshop - Thursday 10th July 2014
- Senior Promotions 2014
- Actor Sylvester McCoy helps UCL teach patients about ankle arthritis.
- UCL's Dr Hashim Ahmed on Channel 4 programme Curing Cancer Wednesday 15th October 10pm
- Nominations for $100,000 Taubman Prize 2015 open
- UCL awarded £13.5 million to advance medical research facilities
- Recruiting for a Director of Education at UCLH
- Sensewheel joins Health Social Innovators Programme
- Opportunity for students and researchers to win £100k in the OneStart programme
- iBSc Student shortlisted for Alan Edwards Poster Prize
- UCL Diversity in Surgery (UCL DiSC)
- SurgEd-IT Working Group
- UCLH PROMIS Team nominated for a Celebrating Excellence Award
- Andy Goldberg winner of NIHR New Media Award
- Dr Tom Carlson presents as Café Scientifique
- Dr Josephine Woodhams awarded funding from CRDC - Fast Track Grant Scheme
- Division student wins the Richard Wood prize
- 'Innovations in Prostate Cancer' project shortlisted for The BMJ Awards 2015.
- Celebrating international Women's Day 2015
- Department of Nanotechnology Open Days
- Innovative orthopaedic software unveiled
- Division Student wins Manchester Marathon
- BMJ Innovation Award Winners!
Clinical Research Workshop - Thursday 10th July 2014
5 August 2014
Division held its first ever clinical research workshop,
aimed at existing or intended clinical academics who were seeking guidance on
the clinical fellowship application process.
The Division was joined by a number of guest speakers, who between them, arguably, have the greatest collective experience in this field.
Catherine Elliott, Director of Clinical Research Interests at the MRC, began
with an overview of the different fellowships available at the MRC, all of
which are focused on providing excellent training to the next generation of
leading researchers. With an exceptionally low success rate (only 16% of
applications for clinician scientist fellowships were approved funding by the
MRC in 2013/14), Dr Elliott also gave the MRC’s perspective on what makes a
successful fellowship application. Click here
to find out more.
Lomas, Dean of the Faculty of Medical Sciences, and Professor Geraint Rees,
Dean of the Faculty of Life Sciences, were both in attendance to recount their
own personal experiences through the fellowship application process.
Professor Lomas himself was awarded a MRC Training Fellowship in 1990 and later a MRC Clinician Scientist Fellowship in 1993. His advice for future clinical research fellows was summed up in three words: judgement, focus and serendipity.
Professor Rees offered his unique view on the clinical academic career path, as Director of the SLMS Academic Careers Office, and stressed the importance of remaining calm throughout the application process. Many thanks to all the speakers and participants who attended.
Professor Mark Emberton chairs the panel discussion on personal experiences of the fellowship application process. (From L-R) Mrs Caroline Moore, Mr Hashim Ahmed, Dr Veeru Kasivisvanathan & Professor Geraint Rees.
Click here to see more pictures from the workshop.