UCL Students Abroad

Where Can I Go?

Your Options

Options Guide 13-14

UCL has exchange agreements with over 250 institutions in 40 countries across five

continents, including 48 of the world's top 100 universities (Source: QS World University Rankings 2011/12).

Where you can study abroad will depend on your programme of study at UCL. Once you have looked over the options below, navigate through our Options Guide for details of what is available to you.

With the exception of students from European Social & Political Studies, the School of European Languages, Culture & Society, and students studying certain degree programmes in the School of Slavonic & East European Studies, it is not possible to study abroad at a university with which UCL has no formal exchange.

Types of Exchange Programme Open to UCL Students

There are broadly three different types of exchange programme at UCL, though not all of these will be available to everyone.

Erasmus Exchanges

The majority of UCL exchanges with European universities are covered by the Erasmus programme. The programme offers the possibility of studying abroad in another European country for a period of between 3 and 12 months. It was started in 1987 by the European Commission in order to facilitate the mobility of students between EU member countries, and since then has seen over 1 million students participate. UCL currently has links with over 150 Erasmus partner institutions - you can view a list of all Erasmus exchanges.

Departmental Exchanges

Various UCL departments have established exchange programmes with their counterparts in other universities around the world. There are both exchanges with institutions in North and South America and Asia, as well as those with institutions in Europe that do not form part of the Erasmus programme.

These exchanges are coordinated at a departmental level. For the most up-to-date information regarding these exchanges, please check with your department.

UCL Exchanges

The Study Abroad Team has in place a number of exchange agreements with universities from around the world. These exchanges are coordinated centrally by the Study Abroad Team and are typically open to students from more than one department. Places are therefore highly competitive. All UCL's non-Erasmus exchanges can also be viewed in list format

Working Abroad as part of your UCL degree (SELCS only)

For SELCS students, under certain conditions, the School Year-Abroad Tutor may permit a student to take up a work placement (as distinct from an assistantship) during his or her Year Abroad. Some programmes (e.g. ESPS, Scandinavian Studies) do not permit work placements. You should check with your degree or programme tutor. For more information about work placements, please visit the SELCS website.

Page last modified on 17 sep 13 17:04