UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies


In A Crisis?

This page lists services provided to students from many support services. If you don't know where to turn, your first stop is meeting with your personal tutor.

Physical Health

  • Serious medical emergency or accident (x222 on campus; 999 off campus)  
  • Gower Place Health Centre 3 Gower Place, 020 7679 6306, emergency number (32803/37057) for acute medical problems. Go if you are ill, injured, involved in an accident, or in a psychological crisis, require emergency contraception. Open 9am - 5pm; 24-hour emergency coverage;  
  • phone NHS Direct: 0845 4647or view their website at http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
  • NHS drop in health centre: 1, Frith St, Soho, 020 7534 6500. No need to be registered. No appointment necessary. Weekdays 7:30am - 9pm. Weekends 10am - 8pm. See website

Mental Health

Don't wait until things get on top of you. It's easier to deal with problems when they are in their early stages.

  • Student Psychological Services offer a wealth of different kinds of support from individual counselling and group therapy to information pages about issues commonly encountered by students (e.g. homesickness, work-block, anxiety). Details of how to contact them and how to refer yourself can be found on their website http://www.ucl.ac.uk/student-psychological-services/overview
  • The Samaritans is a registered charity that provides confidential emotional support to any person who is suicidal or despairing. Tel: 08457 90 90 90 (local rate), or visit their website at www.Samaritans.co.uk for details of how to contact them by email. 

Late Night Mental Health

  • London Nightline An all-night service for students wanting help, information, or simply someone to talk with.   Tel. 020 7631 0101 6pm-8am or email a volunteerin term time. See London Nighline website for more details.

UCLU Rights & Advice Centre

  • The UCL Union Rights & Advice Centre is a support service and a central point to obtain information and advice on topics such as:

    - Academic issues
    - Consumer Advice
    - Employment
    - Finance
    - Housing
    - Immigration
    For opening times and contact details visit their website http://uclu.org/services/advice-welfare

Academic Issues

In the first instance you should discuss academic issues with your personal tutor (directory). As a last resort you can also contact

  • Dr Emma Tobin, STS Undergraduate Tutor (x31321): responsible for STS personal tutor programme, administers undergraduate academic affairs within the department.
  • Dr Caroline Essex, MAPS Faculty Tutor (x32879): administers Faculty regulations, academic affairs.  
  • Dr Ruth Siddall, Dean of Students (020 7679 4545): coordinates all aspects of student welfare. Available for student advice in personal, social, or academic performance problems. Also responsible for "keeping good order" in the College (i.e., discipline). 

Advice for Women Students

The College's Advisors to Women Students assist the Dean of Students in providing advice and welfare support to students and are available specifically "for women students who need to talk to a woman."

Dr. Hilary Richards (x32934) 

Website http://www.ucl.ac.uk/academic-manual/part-5/adviser-to-women-students

Accommodation Problems

  • Student Residence Office, 117 Gower Street is open for enquiries about UCL student housing from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday; tel. 020 7679 6322, email residences@ucl.ac.uk
  • University of London Accommodation Office, tel. 020 7862 8880, email ulao@accom.lon.ac.uk, or visit website for more details.

The Student's Union Rights and Advice Centre publishes a leaflet explaining the basics of housing law , and can help students obtain appropriate legal advice, for example if they are in dispute with a landlord. The Centre is situated on the first floor of the Bloomsbury Building, above the Theatre in Gordon Street (020 7679 2533/2507).

Local Councils can also help tenants in dispute with their Landlord over repairs. Details can usually be found by following the housing links on the relevant council's website. The help they can offer ranges from writing letters advising landlords of their legal responsibilities to serving repair orders via the local environmental health department. 

Money Crisis

The UCL Financial Assistance Fund provides discretionary financial assistance for students to help them access and remain in higher education, particularly those students who need financial help to meet costs that cannot be met from other sources of funding. The Fund can help alleviate unexpected financial hardship and students who may be considering leaving higher education because of financial problems are particularly encouraged to apply. Students should be aware that UCL FAF is intended to act as a safety net for those in financial difficulty rather than their main source of income.

UCL Financial Assistance Fund link: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/current-students/money/bursaries/financial-advice-and-Support/ucl-financial-assistance-fund

Emergency Loans: Limited loans (maximum value £250) are available to assist students who due to unexpected circumstances find themselves in financial difficulty (i.e. delays in payment of student support or stipend, loss of bank cards etc). Loans are made on a short-term basis, usually for one month and are interest free provided that they are repaid by the agreed date. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/current-students/money/loans/emergency_loans

Specific Difficulties

Bereavement counselling and support groups: Griefnet

Sexual and reproductive health: Camden Sexual Health Services Planned Parenthoodcontraceptive choices, HIV and AIDS (the basics and safe sex tips,details and cutting edge information, Terrence Higgins Trust

If you think you or your partner is pregnant, consider your options. For confidential pregnancy tests and advice near UCL (at 108 Whitfield Street), contact Marie Stopes International (0845 300 8090) or other pregnancy test services and counselling centres listing in the telephone directory. Or visit the Student Psychological Services.

For general health information:

The Eating Disorders Association offers help, support and information to people whose lives are affected by eating disorders - in particular anorexia and bulimia nervosa. tel. 01603 621 414 (9.00am - 6.30pm Monday - Friday) or view theirwebsite.

London Lesbian and Gay Switchboard: tel: 020 7837 7324 at any time of the day or view their website at http://www.llgs.org.uk/

Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (for women and girls) Based in Croydon, has a London-wide helpline: 020 8239 1122. Rape and sexual abuse counselling(formerly Winchester Rape Crisis) - website with information and many useful links for women and men affected by sexual violence of any kind (including partners, relatives and friends of people who have experienced sexual violence). They also run a women's helpline and a men's helpline (details on the website). Other sites Rape Crisis UK (women) Mpower (men).

Alcoholics Anonymous: Look for 'Alcoholics Anonymous' in any telephone directory, or view their website at www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk.

Bullying and harassment: UCL's anti-bullying and harassment policies and information can be found here.

National Union of Students for representation and student governance 

Camden Council services, links to other councils (this link is slow) 

Academic troubles. Talk to our Undergraduate Tutor. Consult the STS Handbook. Talk with the Faculty Tutor. 

International students: Contact the International Office. Open 9.30-4.30 M-F in room 19, 1st Floor, South Wing. 020 7679 7765/7708. 

Students with Disabilities

The UCL Disability Coordinator, Marion Hingston Lamb, can be contacted on 020 7679 0100 email disability@ucl.ac.uk

See the Disability Services website for further information, and info about the UCL Disability Centre and Student Enabling Suite.

The Disability Co-ordinator provides advice and practical support in the following ways:

  • assessments of support need, including diagnostic assessments for students with dyslexia;
  • assistance to students with disabilities in applying for grants from LEAs and Trusts;
  • up-to-date advice on special equipment that may be required by members of staff and students with disabilities;
  • organising note-taking/interpreter/reader support;
  • providing information on access to all UCL teaching space;
  • administering the College's Students with Disabilities Hardship Fund (EU and overseas students only).

Special examination arrangements can be made for students with disabilities to take their examinations in a separate room designated for this purpose or to have use of special equipment or facilities. Please note that students with dyslexia requiring additional examination time should apply to Katherine Majid, Examinations (x32042) via their Departmental Tutor before March 1.

[back to top]

Medical Health

Medical: see above

Meningitis: The symptoms of meningitis and septicaemia are:

  • High temperature/fever 
  • Violent sickness 
  • Severe headache 
  • Stiff neck 
  • Feeling drowsy or lethargic 
  • Disorientation 
  • Rash of tiny red/purple spots, possibly spreading to look like fresh bruising. 
  • Usually the rash will not disappear when pressed firmly with a glass. The rash will be harder to see on dark skin. 

If you suspect meningitis or septicaemia seek medical advice immediately or call the National Meningitis Trust 24 hour support line for advice on 0845 6000 800.

Dental Centre

A full-service Dental Centre operates on the 5th floor of the College Health Centre (3 Gower Place). 9-5 M-F. For an appointment 020 7679 7186). You are advised to register. If you are under 19 years of age you are fully exempt from dental charges. If not, you may be able to claim for exemption.

Occupational Health

Located on 4th floor of College Health Centre. 9-1 and 2-5 M-F.

The primary concern of Occupational Health is preventative health care related to College activities (e.g., immunisation, assessment of health risks, and work-related rehabilitation after serious illness or injury). For information about flu immunisation, see http://www.ucl.ac.uk/hr/occ_health/influenza.php

Students with children

Day Nursery

College Day Nursery operates at two sites in College. Children of staff and students are eligible. Spaces available for 12 babies (3 months - 18 months old), 10 toddlers (18 months - 2.5 years) and 16 children (2.5 - 5 years). Waiting list is usual. Contact Nursery Manager, 020 7679 7461. See web for further details.

[back to top]