- New Careers Podcast: Louis Stupple Harris.
- "quite simply the best"
- Responsible Innovation Article
- STS Summer Internships
- STS Research behind EPSRC Statement
- New book: Presocratics and the Supernatural
- Sleepwalking in Middle Ages
- UK citizen views on carbon capture and storage: new study
- PlosOne for Stilgoe: new paper
- MSc prize winner
- STS Alumnus Publishes Policy Report
- Prize winning dissertation
- Material Histories of Chemistry
- Light and Dark
- Emotions, Transformations, Restorations
- New paper: Helmholtz Club, Neuroscience and Francis Crick
- New scholarship for PhD studies
- STS PHD students shine
- Notes for brewing genius
- STS Goes Dutch
- Vacancy: Project Co-ordinator
- New Careers Podcasts
- Why should we promote public engagement with science?
- New Paper: The Science of Destruction:
- UCL Donors help fund a forgotten treatment for TB
- PhD Studentship: Making the Oceans Visible
- STS Prof in award-winning book
- Vacancy: Lecturer in Science Communication
- STS Prof Hits 4 Million
- Vacancy: Lecturer in Science & Technology Studies
- PhD Conference Review. September - January.
- 8th London Ancient Science Conference
- STS explores science on a pagan planet
- Wonderments of the Cosmos
- STS Trip! War Rooms & Banquetting House
- Emotions, Transformations, Restorations
- New paper: Harvey, Aristotle, Astrology
- Students notice excellence
- STS Research Day 2014
- The Closed Loop
- Awe Fear and Fireworks
- Undergraduate Prizes 2014
- Two STS staff promoted
- Farewell Jo Pearson
- Prof Agar on Science and WW1
- Brian Balmer speaks at UN
- NSS2014 - STS scores 100 percent (again)
- STS takes on Latin America (part 1)
- European funding success
- Upcoming Event: Perspectives On Neglected Tropical Diseases
- STS PhD students shine in South America
- Honorary degree for STS leader
The Department of Science and Technology Studies, UCL is an interdisciplinary centre for the integrated study of science's history, philosophy, sociology, communication and policy, located in the heart of London. Founded in 1921. Award winning for teaching and research, plus for our public engagement programme. Rated as outstanding by students at every level.
At UCL, the academic mission is paramount. Our ambition is to achieve the highest standards in our teaching and research.
Join us for BSc, MSc, and PhD study.
Staff books include:
NSS2014 - STS scores 100 percent (again)
13 August 2014
STS scores well above average
Results for the National Student Survey 2014 are announced this week. For the second year in a row, students have voted STS 100% in overall satisfaction. This is a welcome evaluation of our academic programme and a comment on our department's support system, which combines intellectual growth and mentoring.
"This is a result we are extremely proud about," beamed Professor Joe Cain, STS Head of Department. "It's comes from the whole community - that includes our academics, administrators, PhD students, and everyone else. This past year we celebrated 20 years of our BSc degrees and the launch of two new Masters programmes. STS is buzzing like never before."
STS results are top of the MAPS Faculty. Our overall average places us in the top 10 units (8th) of all 46 UCL units in the survey. Only three other UCL units received 100% overall satisfaction results, too. The general results are clear: UCL provides excellent learning and teaching overall, and STS is in the leading pack.
Find our more about about degrees: BSc and taught MSc (link).
|74||61||62||Assessment and feedback|
|82||79||80||Organisation and management|
(Results from 2014 National Student Survey. Published 12 August 2014)
Drilling into the data
We examine the results closely, and we work on the weak spots. This year, we're investigating comments about learning resources. Initial discussions suggest this relates to things out of our direct control: classrooms, library facilities, and hang-out spaces outside the department.
Students love the STS common room. They enjoy our free tea and coffee. Over 2013-14, we undertook a curriculum review and modernisation. This year, we'll be reviewing our assessment. We want to ensure it's relevant, it develops key career skills, and its supported by excellent teaching.
UCL's news story on NSS2014 commends STS, and provides links to the full data (link).
Page last modified on 13 aug 14 10:20 by Sonja Van Praag (WAMS)
UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS)
0207 679 1328 office | +44 207 679 1328 international
email@example.com | www.ucl.ac.uk/sts | @stsucl
postal address: Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT | United Kingdom
street address: 22 Gordon Square, London, WC1E 6BT | maps