- New Careers Podcast: Louis Stupple Harris.
- "quite simply the best"
- Responsible Innovation Article
- STS Summer Internships
- STS Research behind EPSRC Statement
- New book: Presocratics and the Supernatural
- Sleepwalking in Middle Ages
- UK citizen views on carbon capture and storage: new study
- PlosOne for Stilgoe: new paper
- MSc prize winner
- STS Alumnus Publishes Policy Report
- Prize winning dissertation
- Material Histories of Chemistry
- Light and Dark
- Emotions, Transformations, Restorations
- New paper: Helmholtz Club, Neuroscience and Francis Crick
- New scholarship for PhD studies
- STS PHD students shine
- Notes for brewing genius
- STS Goes Dutch
- Vacancy: Project Co-ordinator
- New Careers Podcasts
- Why should we promote public engagement with science?
- New Paper: The Science of Destruction:
- UCL Donors help fund a forgotten treatment for TB
- PhD Studentship: Making the Oceans Visible
- STS Prof in award-winning book
- Vacancy: Lecturer in Science Communication
- STS Prof Hits 4 Million
- Vacancy: Lecturer in Science & Technology Studies
- PhD Conference Review. September - January.
- 8th London Ancient Science Conference
- STS explores science on a pagan planet
- Wonderments of the Cosmos
- STS Trip! War Rooms & Banquetting House
- Emotions, Transformations, Restorations
- New paper: Harvey, Aristotle, Astrology
- Students notice excellence
- STS Research Day 2014
- The Closed Loop
- Awe Fear and Fireworks
- Undergraduate Prizes 2014
- Two STS staff promoted
- Farewell Jo Pearson
- Prof Agar on Science and WW1
- Brian Balmer speaks at UN
- NSS2014 - STS scores 100 percent (again)
- STS takes on Latin America (part 1)
- European funding success
- Upcoming Event: Perspectives On Neglected Tropical Diseases
- STS PhD students shine in South America
- Honorary degree for STS leader
- Student Success For Grand Challenge Pitch
- First STS Haldane Lecture Announced
- STS Seminars Confirmed
- Eugenics at UCL: We inherited Galton
- A Clichéd History of Computing
UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies is an interdisciplinary centre for the integrated study of science's history, philosophy, sociology, communication and policy, located in the heart of London. Founded in 1921. Award winning for teaching and research, plus for our public engagement programme. Rated as outstanding by students at every level.
At UCL, the academic mission is paramount. Our ambition is to achieve the highest standards in our teaching and research.
Join us for BSc, MSc, and PhD study.
Staff books include:
European funding success
21 August 2014
STS is part of a major new programme aiming to use the inspiration of space to interest children and teenagers in science and technology, broaden their minds and stimulate European and global citizenship. Led by the University of Leiden, EUSPACE-AWE is a €2million multi-national collaboration funded by the European Commission which will draw on the excitement of space and achievements of European space science. The activities within EUSPACE-AWE will be used to (i) encourage secondary school children to choose careers in science and technology and (ii) inspire primary-school children when their curiosity is high and their value systems are being formed. Underprivileged communities are a particularly focus of the work, including working closely with the IAU Office of Astronomy for Development in Cape Town in order to ensure a global coverage.
This work follows on from Professor Steve Miller’s longstanding connections with the Europlanet network and other high profile science communication efforts at European level. STS’s Karen Bultitude will lead on UCL’s contribution to the programme, developing a robust evaluation framework for investigating long-term effects of the EUSPACE-AWE activities. Findings from individual activities within the programme will be synthesised by UCL to identify wider impacts and implications.
Page last modified on 21 aug 14 15:44 by Jo E Pearson
UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS)
0207 679 1328 office | +44 207 679 1328 international
email@example.com | www.ucl.ac.uk/sts | @stsucl
postal address: Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT | United Kingdom
street address: 22 Gordon Square, London, WC1E 6BT | maps