- New Careers Podcast: Louis Stupple Harris.
- "quite simply the best"
- Responsible Innovation Article
- STS Summer Internships
- STS Research behind EPSRC Statement
- New book: Presocratics and the Supernatural
- Sleepwalking in Middle Ages
- UK citizen views on carbon capture and storage: new study
- PlosOne for Stilgoe: new paper
- MSc prize winner
- STS Alumnus Publishes Policy Report
- Prize winning dissertation
- Material Histories of Chemistry
- Light and Dark
- Emotions, Transformations, Restorations
- New paper: Helmholtz Club, Neuroscience and Francis Crick
- New scholarship for PhD studies
- STS PHD students shine
- Notes for brewing genius
- STS Goes Dutch
- Vacancy: Project Co-ordinator
- New Careers Podcasts
- Why should we promote public engagement with science?
- New Paper: The Science of Destruction:
- UCL Donors help fund a forgotten treatment for TB
- PhD Studentship: Making the Oceans Visible
- STS Prof in award-winning book
- Vacancy: Lecturer in Science Communication
- STS Prof Hits 4 Million
- Vacancy: Lecturer in Science & Technology Studies
- PhD Conference Review. September - January.
- 8th London Ancient Science Conference
- STS explores science on a pagan planet
- Wonderments of the Cosmos
- STS Trip! War Rooms & Banquetting House
- Emotions, Transformations, Restorations
- New paper: Harvey, Aristotle, Astrology
- Students notice excellence
- STS Research Day 2014
- The Closed Loop
- Awe Fear and Fireworks
- Undergraduate Prizes 2014
- Two STS staff promoted
- Farewell Jo Pearson
- Prof Agar on Science and WW1
- Brian Balmer speaks at UN
- NSS2014 - STS scores 100 percent (again)
- STS takes on Latin America (part 1)
- European funding success
- Upcoming Event: Perspectives On Neglected Tropical Diseases
- STS PhD students shine in South America
- Honorary degree for STS leader
- Student Success For Grand Challenge Pitch
- First STS Haldane Lecture Announced
- STS Seminars Confirmed
- Eugenics at UCL: We inherited Galton
- A Clichéd History of Computing
- STS PhD student on the BBC Breakfast Show
UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies is an interdisciplinary centre for the integrated study of science's history, philosophy, sociology, communication and policy, located in the heart of London. Founded in 1921. Award winning for teaching and research, plus for our public engagement programme. Rated as outstanding by students at every level.
At UCL, the academic mission is paramount. Our ambition is to achieve the highest standards in our teaching and research.
Join us for BSc, MSc, and PhD study.
Staff books include:
"quite simply the best"
2 October 2013
STS scores massively well on the 2013 NSS student survey. In reply to every question, STS scores, on average, nearly 13% above UCL-wide results.
In comparison, UCL History scores 6% above the UCL average and UCL Philosophy scores nearly 2% above the average.
Our results include several bits we are especially proud about:
- 100% of the replies agreed with the statement "Overall, I am satisfied with the quality of the course"
- 100% agreed with "Staff are good at explaining things"
- 100% agreed with "The course is intellectually stimulating"
In the case of one comment, "I have received detailed comments on my work," STS scores a stunning 39% higher than the UCL-wide result.
14 replies were received, representing 67% of eligible students.
Some of the comments included:
"The STS Department is quite simply the best one at UCL. Having had experience with other departments, I have realized how efficient and organised they actually are. My experience with all the staff has been amicable and very informative. I am very pleased to have been a part of it and would do it all again, given the chance."
"I was blessed with a brilliant personal tutor who actually is the reason that I am graduating this year. She helped me through my three years and pulled me back up from one of the lowest points in my life to graduate finally. Also I loved that I was studying something so intellectually stimulating with world-class professors and was a part of a small department where everyone including all my professors and teachers knew my name and recognised me. There was help always available from anyone and everyone and my department made my experience truly one that I will cherish for the rest of my life."
"The course has been extremely intellectual stimulating and equipping students with a very broad range of skills that will, without a doubt, prove to be valuable for their future careers. Some lecturers in the department deserve special mention for bringing unconventional areas of Science and Technology Studies under the attention of students, showing there is an academic niche to be found for everyone."
"Great uni, STS is a good department. It is small, which makes the experience more personal."
"My tutors were really supportive; I had a baby at the end of second year, all the tutors and the whole department were supportive and behind me all the way."
We thank all the students for participating.
Page last modified on 02 oct 13 19:19 by Joe Cain
UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS)
0207 679 1328 office | +44 207 679 1328 international
email@example.com | www.ucl.ac.uk/sts | @stsucl
postal address: Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT | United Kingdom
street address: 22 Gordon Square, London, WC1E 6BT | maps