- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar Series 2012-13
- STS success at iBSc fair
- STS Lecturer at The House of Lords
- Grant success: Balmer on the History of Biological Weapons
- Histories of Scientific Experience
- Another Win for STS Student!
- Will The Geek Inherit the Earth?
- OCEANIC ENTERPRISE
- The Genius of Invention
- Thinking About Science: Episode 6
- Blog Winners Announced
- Finalists! Speak Up!
- BPPA Masterclass Success!
- MAPS students praise STS teaching
- STS research fellow in MRC Suffrage Science event
- Semi Final Ahoy!
- DEUS IN MACHINA
- Responsible Innovation in Europe
- STS Students Take Action
- Semi Final Challenge
- Science and Security Grant
- The Spanish Collaboration
- MATERIAL HISTORIES OF SCIENCE
- Vacancy: Senior Lecturer in Science Communication
- STS Students on the BBC
- Mechanisms & Causality Workshop
- National praise for Agar
- Conference Success
- Grant Success & Internship Opportunity
- Sites of Chemistry
- Nobel Debate in Nature
- MSc Application Deadline - 2nd August
- Book now for STS20 reunion
- Recognition for STS public engagement training
- 100 Hours
- 3 STS staff promoted
- Spotlight on...ProfJoeCain
- Vacancies: Teaching Fellows
- A Science Fit for the Future?
- Steph McGovern to speak at MAPS Faculty Graduation Ceremony
- Vacancy: Teaching Fellow in Sociology of Technology
- STS PhD students publish
- 100 Hours: 25 Days To Go!
- Glassy Environments
- New Careers Podcast: Louis Stupple Harris.
- "quite simply the best"
- Responsible Innovation Article
- STS Summer Internships
- STS Research behind EPSRC Statement
- New book: Presocratics and the Supernatural
- Sleepwalking in Middle Ages
- PlosOne for Stilgoe: new paper
- MSc prize winner
- STS Alumnus Publishes Policy Report
The Department of Science and Technology Studies, UCL is an interdisciplinary centre for the integrated study of science's history, philosophy, sociology, communication and policy, located in the heart of London. Founded in 1921. Award winning for teaching and research, plus for our public engagement programme. Rated as outstanding by students at every level.
At UCL, the academic mission is paramount. Our ambition is to achieve the highest standards in our teaching and research.
Join us for BSc, MSc, and PhD study.
Staff books include:
History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar Series 2012-13
28 December 2012
STS's Bill MacLehose has been involved in organising a new lecture series, hosted by the Wellcome Library.
The series will be focused on pre-modern medicine, which we take to cover European and non-European history before the 20th century (antiquity, medieval and early modern history, some elements of 19th-century medicine). The seminars are open to all.
22 January – Lisa Smith (University of Saskatchewan)
Fertility Troubles and Domestic Medical Knowledge in Eighteenth-Century France and England
5 February – Alun Withey (University of Exeter)
Politeness and Pogonotomy: Shaving and Masculinity in Georgian Britain
19 February – Helen King (Open University)
Agnodice’s First Patient: Gendering Childbirth in Antiquity and Early Modern Europe
5 March – Silvia de Renzi (Open University)
Hippocrates on the Tiber: Airs and Diseases in the Making of Baroque Rome
All seminars will take place in the Wellcome Library, 2nd floor, 183 Euston Road, NW1 2BE. Please deposit bags and coats in the ground floor cloakroom and meet in the 2nd floor foyer. Doors at 6pm prompt, seminars will start at 6.15.
Organising Committee: Elma Brenner (Wellcome Library), Sandra Cavallo (RHUL), John Henderson (BirkbeckUL) Colin Jones (QMUL, convenor), William MacLehose (UCL), Anna Maerker (KCL). Christelle Rabier (LSE), Patrick Wallis (LSE), Ronit Yoeli-Tlalim (Goldsmiths).
Enquiries to Ross MacFarlane (Wellcome Library: R.MacFarlane@wellcome.ac.uk ) or Prof. Colin Jones (Queen Mary University of London: email@example.com).
For more on the 2012-13 series (link)
Page last modified on 28 dec 12 10:58 by Joe Cain
UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS)
0207 679 1328 office | +44 207 679 1328 international
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.ucl.ac.uk/sts | @stsucl
postal address: Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT | United Kingdom
street address: 22 Gordon Square, London, WC1E 6BT | maps