- STS student makes Dean's List
- Prize-winning students
- UCAS rewards for STS
- STS success hits YouTube
- Charles Laine: tragedy
- 2012 Graduation - Congratulations
- New Podcast Series: Thinking About Science
- STS seminar: Thomas Kuhn on Ancient Science
- Engaging Teachers in Gender-Aware Practice
- New Book! Managing Privacy Through Accountability
- New Careers Podcast
- University Challenge
- On the winning team!
- Going, Going, Ghent
- Higg's Boson Podcast!
- STS Staff and Students at Landmark Conference
- Philosophy of Medicine: New Article
- STS reunion plans - announced
- Ambrosio: Art and Science mix
- video: Miller talks about Chemical Cosmos
- Thinking About Science: Episode 4
- Praise for STS teaching
- Thinking About Science Episode 5
- New Careers Podcast!
- MSc student 'makes' news
- History of Pre-Modern Medicine Seminar Series 2012-13
- STS success at iBSc fair
- STS Lecturer at The House of Lords
- Grant success: Balmer on the History of Biological Weapons
- Histories of Scientific Experience
- Another Win for STS Student!
- Will The Geek Inherit the Earth?
- OCEANIC ENTERPRISE
- The Genius of Invention
- Thinking About Science: Episode 6
- Blog Winners Announced
- Finalists! Speak Up!
- BPPA Masterclass Success!
- MAPS students praise STS teaching
- STS research fellow in MRC Suffrage Science event
- Semi Final Ahoy!
- DEUS IN MACHINA
- Responsible Innovation in Europe
- STS Students Take Action
- Semi Final Challenge
- Science and Security Grant
- The Spanish Collaboration
- MATERIAL HISTORIES OF SCIENCE
- Vacancy: Senior Lecturer in Science Communication
- STS Students on the BBC
- Mechanisms & Causality Workshop
- Vacancy: Research Associate Cold War History
- National praise for Agar
- Conference Success
- Grant Success & Internship Opportunity
- Sites of Chemistry
- Nobel Debate in Nature
- MSc Application Deadline - 2nd August
The Department of Science and Technology Studies, UCL is an interdisciplinary centre for the integrated study of science's history, philosophy, sociology, communication and policy, located in the heart of London. Founded in 1921. Award winning for teaching and research, plus for our public engagement programme. Rated as outstanding by students at every level.
At UCL, the academic mission is paramount. Our ambition is to achieve the highest standards in our teaching and research.
Join us for BSc, MSc, and PhD study.
Staff books include:
STS Staff and Students at Landmark Conference
26 October 2012
Several staff and postgraduate students from the STS department attended an important conference in Copenhagen, Denmark that took place last week (October 17-20th 2012). With around 1800 delegates, the conference, Design and Displacement – Social Studies of Science and Technology, was the largest ever joint meeting of the Society for Social Studies of Science (4S) and the European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST). The picture shows UCL STS-ers Kajsa-Stina Magnusson, Melanie Smallman, Brian Balmer, Simon Lock and Christine Aicardi just before the conference reception in Copenhagen Town Hall. During three days of lively discussion and debate, the UCL STS party presented papers on topics as diverse as scientists' experience in public dialogue; a suspicious outbreak of anthrax and the role of scientific expertise; the conspicuous absence of STS work on science and sexuality; and neighbourhood, moral economy, and dissident interdisciplinary research. Simon Lock also chaired a panel discussion of senior STS academics on the theme of 'Why Should We Promote Public Understanding of Science?' The session – organised with STS’s Jack Stilgoe – was an extremely popular event, with standing room only. “I found there was a wealth of impossible-to-attend-them-all excellent sessions on an amazing variety of topics” said STS postdoctoral researcher, Christine Aicardi after the conference, “ it was a terrific conference, as surprising and interesting as the New Nordic cuisine we got to thoroughly sample”.
Page last modified on 26 oct 12 16:35 by Jo E Pearson
UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS)
0207 679 1328 office | +44 207 679 1328 international
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.ucl.ac.uk/sts | @stsucl
postal address: Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT | United Kingdom
street address: 22 Gordon Square, London, WC1E 6BT | maps