- HPSC2022 Philosophy of Social Science
- HPSC1003 Philosophy of Science 1
- Emma Tobin Further Details
The Department of Science and Technology Studies, UCL is an interdisciplinary centre for the integrated study of science's history, philosophy, sociology, communication and policy, located in the heart of London. Founded in 1921. Award winning teaching and research. Rated as outstanding by students at every level.
- Philosophy of Science: An Introduction to Contemporary Problems, London, Continuum Press, Forthcoming 2013
- “Are Natural Kinds and Natural Properties Distinct?”, Metaphysics and Science, Stephen Mumford and Matt Tugby (eds.) Oxford University Press. (In Press)
- “Chemical Laws” Science and Education, Special Issue on “Philosophy of Chemistry and the Teaching of Chemistry” (ed. Sibel Erduran) (2012), DOI: 10.1007/s11191-012-9445-9 Publishers Website
- "The Theory of Everything?", Review Essay on Ellis B. “The Metaphysics of Scientific Realism” for Metascience, (2012), (Publishers Website)
- “The Metaphysics of Determinable Kinds”, Properties, Powers and Structures: Issues in the Metaphysics of Realism, Alexander Bird, Brian Ellis and Howard Sankey (eds.), Routledge Studies in Metaphysics, (Pdf Version)
- “Crosscutting Natural Kinds and the Hierarchy Thesis”, The Semantics and Metaphysics of Natural Kinds, Helen Beebee and Nigel Leary (eds.), Routledge Studies in Metaphysics, 2010. (Pdf Version) Publishers Website
- “Microstructuralism and Macromolecules: The case of moonlighting proteins”, Foundations of Chemistry, 2010, 12(1), 41-54. (Pdf Version) Publishers Website
- “Natural Kinds”, (ed. Edward N. Zalta) Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (with Alexander Bird), September 2008.
- “Towards a New Model of Explanation for the Special Sciences”, Causality & Explanation: In Honor of Wesley Salmon, Autonomous University Press, 2006.
- “What makes the Special Sciences Special – Exploring Scientific Methodology in the Special Sciences”, NOESIS, Cambridge Scholarly Press, 2005.
- Review of Christoph Hoerl, Teresa McCormack and Sarah Beck (eds.), Understanding Counterfactuals, Understanding Causation, Oxford, Oxford University Press. Publishers Website
- Review of Dorato, M. The Software of the Universe, International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, (March 2008)
- Review of Mumford, S. Laws in Nature, The Journal of Logical Analysis and History of Philosophy, Vol. 9. 2006.
- Review of Ceteris Paribus Laws (eds.) Earman, Glymour & Mitchell, Kluwer, Dordrecht, 2002.) International Journal of Philosophical Studies, Vol. 12 No. 4, 2004.
Works in Progress
1. Problems of Classification and Identification in biochemistry
2. Domain Specificity in Protein Classification
3. "Philosophy of Biochemistry" for Philosophy Compass
Page last modified on 22 nov 12 23:31 by Emma Tobin
UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS)
0207 679 1328 office | +44 207 679 1328 international
email@example.com | www.ucl.ac.uk/sts | @stsucl
postal address: Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT | United Kingdom
street address: 22 Gordon Square, London, WC1E 6BT | maps