Lock, Simon J
Dr Simon J Lock is a Lecturer in the Department of Science and Technology Studies at University College London. His research focuses on the governance of science, sociology of new technology and science in public. His focus is interdisciplinary examining the public dimensions of new science and technology from sociological, historical and policy-related perspectives.
> simon.lock (at) ucl.ac.uk
> 020 7679 3763
> 22 Gordon Square, room 3.2
BSc Open Day
Next STS Open Day for our undergraduate degrees 04 February 2015
Medical students: integrated BSc Open Day
Visit our table at the integrated BSc Open Day on 21 January 2015Tweets by @stsucl
Simon teaches a variety of modules across the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the STS department and for the UCL Graduate School. He has recently completed a Certificate in Postgraduate Teaching and Learning at the Institute of Education, London.
Departmental Teaching in 2014-15
Simon taught the following modules in the academic year 2014-15. For more information go to the relevant moodle page, or the Departmental website for previous UG syllabi.
- HPSC1010: Revealing Science
- HPSC2017A: STS in Practice
- HPSC3053: Globalization in Theory and Practice
- HPSCGA59: Special Topics in STS
Graduate School Teaching
Simon is part of the STS Departmental team which co-ordinates and delivers (with UCL Public Engagement Unit) the Graduate School Skills Training Programme: Connecting with the public: Research Communication, Public Engagement and Outreach.
This is a series of workshops and courses tailored specifically to supporting UCL research
postgraduates interested in public communication and engagement. The
interactive sessions provide practical opportunities to explore the
variety of ways in which researchers can effectively interact with
public groups, from straightforward communication of research findings
to dialogue about controversial issues to ‘citizen science’. Feedback from students who attend these workshops is consistently excellent.
Click on the link above for more information.
Simon has over 10 years of teaching experience at UCL and Birkbeck College (as a sessional lecturer) teaching on a wide variety of other courses:
- HPSC1008: Introduction to Science Communication
- HPSC2002: Science in the Mass Media
- HPSC2008: Human Science in Society
- HPSC2011: Science, Communication and the Citizen
- HPSC2014: Science Policy Issues in Global Perspective
- HPSC2015: Technology and Global Citizenship
- HPSC2017: Global Citizenship in Action
- HPSC3013: New Genetics and Society
- SSC0187: Philosophy, Medicine and Science (UCL Medical School option)
- MAPS1001: Science, Society and Communication for Natural Scientists
Page last modified on 18 sep 14 11:29 by Simon J Lock