Lock, Simon J
Dr Simon J Lock is a Lecturer in the Department of Science and
Technology Studies at University College London. His research focuses on the governance of science, particularly the historical, sociological
and policy-related questions around the public dimensions of science and technology.
> simon.lock (at) ucl.ac.uk
> 020 7679 3763
> 22 Gordon Square, room 1.2
Dr Simon J Lock
Simon J Lock is a Lecturer in the Department of Science and Technology Studies at University College London. His research focuses on the governance of science, specifically the historical, sociological and policy-related questions around the public dimensions of science. His particular focus is on the public understanding of science, science communication, public engagement with science and technology, social and cultural representations of science and public attitudes to new technologies.
Current projects include the history of the public understanding of science movement in the UK and public attitudes and framings of low-carbon energy sources. His forthcoming book documenting the Public Understanding of Science movement in the UK will be published by Ashgate in 2014. He has also worked on projects concerned with public engagement with science and technology for the Royal Society, the RSA and the Government Office of Science.
- Simon was co-chair for the very successful 7th Annual Science in Public conference which was held at UCL in July 2012. Go to the website for more details.
- In early 2012 Simon was awarded a UCL Grand Challenges Small Grant which will be used to kick start a new interdisciplinary research project on online social media. Follow the project's progress on the Project Blog.
- Simon presented at a policy seminar in November 2011, as part of the UCL Public Policy events series, on 'Going Low-Carbon - the Governance of Climate Change Technologies'. A policy briefing developed from the project and the seminar discussion is available here.
- In October 2011 Simon made his comedy stand-up debut at UCL's Bright Club 'Humanities'
Admin Duties in 2012-13
- Simon is the Natural Sciences STS Stream Representative.
- Simon is the Affiliate Tutor for the STS Department and manages both the STS and Global Citizenship Affiliate programmes. Go to our Study Abroad pages for more information about our new courses for undergraduates at UCL, or to apply to study with us for a year or a semester.
- Simon is part of the UCL/LSE team which runs London Public Understanding of Science Seminar Series.
Page last modified on 07 may 13 17:01 by Simon J Lock