The Department of Science and Technology Studies, UCL is an interdisciplinary centre for the integrated study of science's history, philosophy, sociology, communication and policy, located in the heart of London. Founded in 1921. Award winning for teaching and research, plus for our public engagement programme. Rated as outstanding by students at every level.
At UCL, the academic mission is paramount. Our ambition is to achieve the highest standards in our teaching and research.
Join us for BSc, MSc, and PhD study.
Staff books include:
Lecturer in History and Philosophy of Medicine
Room 2.1, 22 Gordon Square
Office hours: Monday 2-3pm, Tuesdays 12-1pm (or by appointment)
telephone: 0207 679 37132
- HPSC1010 Revealing Science
- HPSC2020 Philosophy of Medicine
- HPSC3004 / HPSC3026 Dissertation / Intercalated Research Project
- HPSC3028 Advanced Topics in Philosophy of Medicine
I'm also a year 3 personal tutor, as well as the Intercalated BSc liaison tutor.
I'm interested in the history and philosophy of the life sciences. In particular:
- viral causation of cancers (PhD topic)
- classifications (causal or otherwise) in the life sciences
- evidence based medicine
- history and philosophy of anatomical illustrations
- synthetic biology
More information about my research is available here.
- Clarke B, Gillies D, Illari P, Russo F, Williamson J. 2012. The evidence that evidence-based medicine omits. Preventive Medicine. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2012.10.020. View in PubMed.
- You can find my PhD thesis (title: Causality in medicine with particular reference to the viral causation of cancers) here and a review by Raffaella Campaner at dissertationreviews.org
- Clarke, B. 2012. "Causation in Medicine" in Gonzalez, W.J. (ed). 2012. Conceptual Revolutions: from Cognitive Science to Medicine. La Coruna: Netbiblo. View full text.
- Clarke, B. 2011. Causation and Melanoma Classification. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics. 32(1): 19-32. View in PubMed.
- Sharma, A., Machen, K., Clarke, B., Howard, D. 2006. Is Undergraduate Otorhinolaryngology Teaching Relevant to Junior Doctors Working in Accident and Emergency Departments? The Journal of Laryngology & Otology. 120: 949-51. View in PubMed.
- Planting evidence somewhere new. UCL STS annual research day. May 22nd 2013. Slides [1MB .pdf] / You can also read an outline of the paper here.
- AHRC Symposium on evidence-based medicine. Evidence and causality in the sciences conference 6th September 2012. University of Kent. Slides [109kB PDF]
Page last modified on 20 aug 13 19:45 by Joe Cain
UCL Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS)
0207 679 1328 office | +44 207 679 1328 international
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.ucl.ac.uk/sts | @stsucl
postal address: Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT | United Kingdom
street address: 22 Gordon Square, London, WC1E 6BT | maps