UCL Astrophysics Group
- Contact Us
- Astrophysics Seminars
- Departmental Events
- Research Topics
- Undergraduate Studies
- PhD Admissions
- University College London Observatory
- Astrophysics Wiki Pages
- Vacancies page
- Group Support and Policies
Projects on Offer in 2017
PhD projects for 2017 are summarised below with contact details for staff members involved. While we encourage candidates for PhD studies to indicate in their applications those areas of research that are of particular interest to them (as well as indicating potential supervisors, where appropriate), the specific projects outlined should be regarded as indicative rather than exclusive or rigid.
In practice, students, supervisors, and projects are matched on an iterative process (based primarily on students' interests); and it is in the nature of research that projects may evolve and develop into new directions.
Research topics on offer loosely fall into five broad categories:
- Galaxies and Cosmology
- Stars, Star formation and Nebulae
- Exoplanetary Systems
- Atmospheric / Magnetospheric Physics
- Astronomical Instrumentation
- There are additional studentships associated with a new cosmoparticle initiative; click here to see these projects which are co-supervised by staff from different UCL research groups. The application procedure is the same as for standard projects; there is no need to apply to both groups to be considered for one of these positions.
- Update February 2017: We have recently been awarded additional STFC studentships as part of a successful bid to host a Centre for Doctoral Training in data-intensive science. All existing applicants who are eligible will be considered for one of these studentships. Click here for more information about the CDT.
More details of the current research being carried out by the UCL Astrophysics Group can be found from our home page.
Page last modified on 06 feb 17 12:59 by Andrew Pontzen