SSEES News Publication
- Where to Go in Europe by Wendy Bracewell and Alex Drace-Francis
- SSEES REF2014 Results
- Award for Geoffrey Hosking
- East European Language Trails website launched
- PhD in History
- Welcome New Research Staff
- Research Grant for Tomáš Cvrcek
- Tadeusz Konwicki
- SSEES Centenary Year
- PhD Award
- Major Marie Curie Award
- Doctorate Awarded
- Online project launched by SSEES students
- Videos from the Central and Eastern European LGBT migrants in London conference now available
- Centenary Lecture by Professor Geoffrey Hosking
- PhD Success
- Welcome to SSEES
Just published: The Mind of the Nation: Völkerspsychologie in Germany by Egbert Klautke
1 November 2013
Völkerspsychologie played an important role in establishing the social sciences via the works of such scholars as Georg Simmel, Emile Durkheim, Ernest Renan, Franz Boas and Werner Sombart.
In Germany the intellectual history of ‘folk psychology’ was represented by Moritz Lazarus, Heymann Steinthal, Wilhelm Wundt and Willy Hellpach. This book follows the invention of the discipline in the nineteenth century, its rise around the turn of the century and its ultimate demise after the Second World War. In addition, it shows that despite the repudiation of ‘folk psychology’ and its failed institutionalisation, the discipline remains relevant as a precursor of contemporary studies of ‘national identity’.
Available from Berghahn Books. 2013. ISBN 978-1-78238-019-1.