SSEES News Publication
- New Director of SSEES
- Ukraine Crisis: What it Means for the West
- Call for papers: The Politics of Teaching and Learning Languages
- Centenary Mugs
- The Bain Graffy Film Collection
- Bright Club
- Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Innovative Learning
- AHRC PhD studentships in Russian, Slavonic & East European Languages and Culture
- Passionate Politics
- Hayley Davis Prize 2014
- Platform Ukraine
- PhD Awarded
- SSEES 100 Event Live
- Triple Helix 2014
- Romanian Parliamentary Visit
- PhD Thesis
- University of Granada
- The 1989 Romanian Revolution
- SSEES Academic on Putin’s Speech
- Prize Winning SSEES Students
- Where to Go in Europe by Wendy Bracewell and Alex Drace-Francis
- SSEES REF2014 Results
New UCL SSEES Publication
10 September 2013
Loyalties, Solidarities and Identities in Russian Society, History & Culture
This collection of papers represents some of the work presented and discussed at the four workshops of the Anglo-French Russian Studies Network between 2003 and 2008.
The volume examines the nature of the 'Soviet self' through the prism of the historical perspective; the Russian empire; and the Stalinist and post-Stalinist era concluding with chapters on exile and 'Russia abroad'.
With an introduction by Geoffrey Hosking and Claudio Nun-Ingerflom, the papers suggest that more attention should be given to social bonds which did not develop directly and solely out of the needs of rulers and that these bonds profoundly affected the way those rulers operated, and above all the outcomes of their policies and decisions.
Contributions from Malte Griesse, Anna Joukovskaïa, Catriona Kelly, Katerina Levidou, Taline Ter Minassian, Alexander Morrison, Claudio Sérgio Nun-Ingerflom, Isabelle Ohayon, Gábor T. Rittersporn, Maria Rubins and Alexander Sumpf.
- Download order form (Word)