SSEES Green Initiatives
SSEES is committed to reducing waste, reducing energy usage and increasing the re-use and recycling of office materials. As part of these efforts SSEES has:
- switched to 100% recycled paper for all printing
- added a sustainability best practice section to all staff inductions
- continued to work with UCL Estates to improve the environmental management of the SSEES building so that less additional heating and cooling is necessary
- improved awareness and increased the use of video conferencing facilities
- evaluated its procurement strategy to purchase in a more sustainable and responsible way
- improved communication of environmental issues to staff and students
But there's much more to be done!
Green Events and Promotions
Help SSEES win The Big Easter Switch Off!
Sign the pledge to switch off your appliances for the Easter break and SSEES could win some great Fairtrade prizes.
Use Garamond font to save ink
Our very own Lilla Bettiol, Admissions Assistant, has come across a new idea to save resources and reduce waste. Suvir Mirchandani, 14, from the USA came up with this easy way to save on expensive toner cartridges for his school science fair project. He tested four different typefaces: Garamond, Times New Roman, Century Gothic and Comic Sans and found that Garamond had the thinnest strokes and thus used much less ink. Therefore, if you must print, try using Garamond and you might find you have to change that toner cartridge less often.
Policies to green the economy must underpin UK recovery: new report
The UK urgently needs a green economic strategy to move towards low-carbon prosperity, resource security and environmental quality, says a new report published today by UCL’s Green Economy Policy Commission.
The UK ranks 121 for its Ecological Footprint out of 151 countries of the world included in the Happy Planet Index, lagging behind many East European countries such as Albania and Moldova ranking 58 and 71 respectively.
Take the UCL GREEN AWARENESS Course
UCL offers a moodle course to introduce the key concepts of sustainability and what these mean for you at UCL. We will also make links to research and teaching at UCL so that you can develop an understanding of UCLs global sustainability influence. You can now take a short quiz and the end of the course to test what you have learnt. This will generate a completion certificate for your course.
Waste and Recycling at UCL - How it's done
UCL avoids sending waste to landfill. It does this through an effective system of re-use, recycling and incineration with energy recovery. For more information, read the detailed recycling and waste disposal procedure document produced by UCL Estates
|How different types of waste are dealt with at UCL|
Item of Waste
Method of disposal
|Mixed Recycling - paper, card, plastic, drinks cans, takeaway coffee cups, magazines etc.||These items produced by everyday activities should be placed in bins with clear liners. These bins are removed from UCL to be sorted where approximately 95% can be recycled with the remaining 5% being sent for incineration with energy recovery. NO WASTE IS SENT DIRECTLY TO LANDFILL|
|Non-Recyclable Waste - food, packaging contaminated with food, polystyrene etc.||This is placed in bins with red liners. These bins are removed by UCL contractors for incineration with energy recovery.|
|Glass||Small quantities of glass can be placed in bins with clear liners with mixed recycling. Sue Cole should be informed of larger quantities which will be removed by UCL contractors for recycling.|
|Electrical Waste||Sue Cole should be notified of all electronic waste. Such items are removed by UCL contractors and recycled in bulk.|
|Furniture and other bulky waste||
Sue Cole should be notified of all bulky waste. Such items are removed by UCL contractors and recycled in bulk. 92% of such waste in recycled, the remainder is incinerated with energy recovery.
Reusable items should be posted on WARPit, contact Claudia Roland
|Confidential Waste||Confidential waste should be shredded by departments and recycled as normal office paper waste. If shredding is not possible, papers should be placed in confidential waste bags available from the SSEES Admissions Office, Room 309. These bags are then removed by UCL contractors and shredded within 3 hours of leaving UCL.|
|Batteries||Many UCL buildings have a battery recycling bin located near the main entrance or reception, e.g. 1-19 Torrington Place. Used batteries are periodically transported in bulk to an external site where they are broken into their component metals for recycling.|
Have an idea to save energy? Get in touch!
The Green Champion for SSEES is Claudia Roland and is your first point of contact for all queries and suggestions related to environmental sustainability at SSEES.
Page last modified on 29 jan 15 13:04