SSEES Events Publication
- UCL SSEES Graduate Open Evening
- Joint Faculty Graduate Open Day
- Professor M Bernhard: Civil Society Strength...
- Alumni Careers Talks: Enterprise, Business, Finance, Law
- SSEES Talks with Mark Hollingsworth: How did London become Moscow-on-Thames?
- Platform Ukraine Dec - Conducting Social Research
- Seminar: Central and Eastern European LGBT migrants in London
Publication date: Jan 29, 2014 10:35 AM
Mar 11, 2014 06:30 PM
End: Mar 11, 2014 12:00 AM
Location: Gustave Tuck Lecture Theatres, Wilkins Building, UCL
In the Line of Fire: Terrorism and Political Violence in Late Imperial Russia
Professor Susan Morrissey
In the early twentieth century, Russia experienced a wave of terrorism unprecedented in European history: hundreds of assassinations, bombings, and ‘expropriations’ claimed thousands of casualties. This lecture excavates this particular moment to post broader questions about how political violence is constructed and deployed. How do individuals, acting alone or in collectives, claim violence as a sovereign right and wield it against the state?