Economics & Business Seminar Series Events Publication
- E&BSS: Assessing the Impact of the Maternity Capital Policy in Russia - Fabian Slonimczyk (ICEF)
- E&BSS: Microfinance, poverty and education - Ralph De Haas (EBRD, London)
- E&BSS: Early School Exposure, Test Scores, and Noncognitive Outcomes - Thomas Cornelissen, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), UCL
- E&BSS: Are the Inflation Rates from the New EU Member States Ready for ECB Managing? - Juan Carlos Cuestas (University of Sheffield)
- E&BSS: ‘Black Spots’ in Capital Structure Studies: The Case of Non-Existing Debt - Eugene Nivorozhkin (UCL SSEES)
- E&BSS: The European Financial Crisis-What Next? - Yumei Ji (UCL SSEES)
- Special Event: ‘Stuck in Transition’? EBRD-SSEES Transition Report Launch 2013
- E&BSS: Foreign Languages and Trade - Dr Jan Fidrmuc (Brunel University)
- E&BSS: Planning peace. Development policies in postwar Europe and the birth of development economics - Michele Alacevich (Columbia University, USA)
- E&BSS: Financial integration in Europe: Has the model failed for the 'periphery economies’? - Max Watson (Wolfson College, University of Oxford)
- E&BSS: Bank Lending and Firm Innovation: Evidence from Russia - Ralph De Haas (EBRD, UK)
- E&BSS: The urban-rural divide in educational outcome: Evidence from Russia - Chiara Amini (London Metropolitan University, UK)
- E&BSS: European perspectives of Ukraine: the end of multi-vector policy? - Igor Yegorov (Institute for Economics and Forecasting of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine)
- E&BSS: Foreign-owned banks and dependent financialization in Eastern Europe - Daniela Gabor (Bristol Business School, UK)
- E&BSS: A Neo-Institutional Framework To Analyse Tax Evasion by Owners-Managers in the Transition Business Environment - Tomasz Mickiewicz (Aston University; ESRC Enterprise Research Centre, UK)
- E&BSS: Corruption and management practices. Firm-level evidence - Daphne Athanasouli (UCL SSEES)
- E&BSS: The Joint Impact of Labour market Policies and Crises on Total and Youth Unemployment in Europe - Silvia Dal Bianco, London Metropolitan University, UK
We argue that corruption can decrease aggregate productivity by deteriorating firm management practices. More...
Starts: Mar 18, 2014 5:00:00 PM
E&BSS: The urban-rural divide in educational outcome: Evidence from Russia - Chiara Amini (London Metropolitan University, UK)
This paper analyses the differences in educational achievement between urban and rural Russian secondary school students using data from the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) surveys. More...
Starts: Feb 11, 2014 5:30:00 PM
E&BSS: A Neo-Institutional Framework To Analyse Tax Evasion by Owners-Managers in the Transition Business Environment - Tomasz Mickiewicz (Aston University; ESRC Enterprise Research Centre, UK)
Publication date: Jan 28, 2014 3:32:16 PM
Mar 11, 2014 5:00:00 PM
End: Mar 11, 2014 6:30:00 PM
Location: Room 347, 16 Taviton Street, UCL, London, WC1H 0BW
We build on the new institutionalism approach in order to propose a framework to explain tax evasion in business.
We consider environmental factors operating both at the societal level and at the organizational population level and look at relational carriers of institutional influences. We combine normative, cultural-cognitive and regulatory-instrumental perspectives that can shed light on tax compliance amongst business owners-managers. We also highlight the specific elements that reinforce these factors under a transition institutional environment. We illustrate our model with an empirical application, utilizing survey data on owners-managers of Latvian businesses, testing hypotheses related to institutional dimensions we identified.
Tomasz Mickiewicz is Professor within the Economics and Strategy Group at Aston Business School and his previous position (until 2012) was Professor of Comparative Economics at UCL. He is President of the European Association for Comparative Economic Studies and editor of Regional Studies. His principal research interests are related to entrepreneurship and institutions. He extensively publishes in academic journals and his recent publications included papers in Journal of Business Venturing, Small Business Economics, Review of Development Economics, Journal of Comparative Economics and others.
- For more details contact: Dr Svetlana Makarova