In November 2013, Ukraine's then President Viktor Yanukovych, decided to pull out of an association deal with the European Union, sparking huge street protests that eventually led to his downfall.
In March, Russia reacted by annexing the Ukrainian region of Crimea and unrest began growing in eastern Ukraine, where pro-Russian sentiment is strong. As a result, relations between the West and Moscow have soured dramatically.
SSEES Commentary & Resources
Various SSEES academics have played a key role in commenting on the crisis across both UK and international media outlets. The SSEES library has compiled a directory of key resources and continues to provide regular updates on the situation.
- Ukraine’s 2014: a belated 1989 or another failed 2004? (Dr Andrew Wilson’s blog)
- European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR) (Dr Andrew Wilson's blog)
- UCL SSEES Library - Ukrainian Crisis 2014
- Internet Resources List (compiled by UCL SSEES Library)
- UCL SSEES Library Twitter
Global Media Commentary, Videos & Visits
Dziennik Gazeta Prawna
- Rozpoczęło się publiczne śledztwo ws. zabójstwa Litwinienki (2 August 2014)
East European Politics and Societies (Sage Publications)
Foreign Affairs (21 March 2014)
La Vanguardia (10 March 2014)
Rzeczpospolita (28 January 2014)
The Wall Street Journal
- Andrew Wilson addresses president Yanukovych's regime style (27 January 2014)
- Ukrainian Protesters Clash With Police Over Snubbing of EU Trade Deal (25 November 2013)
New York Times (14 December 2013)
South China Morning Post (8 December 2013)
USA Today (2 December 2014)
Sunday Express (Sunday June 1 2014)
The Guardian (5 March 2014)
- Tatar Sunni Muslims pose a threat to Russia's occupation of Crimea (5 March 2014)
- Ukraine conflict: the regime will finish what it started (19 February 2014)
- Viktor Yanukovych: can the great survivor of Ukraine politics hang on? (2 December 2013)
The Daily Mirror
- Has Vladimir Putin thought this act of aggression through? (2 March 2014)
- Ukraine analysis: Russia pulls the levers in Ukraine power game (1 March 2014)
Foreign Policy (27 February 2014)
Independent on Sunday (23 February 2014)
The New Statesman (20 February 2014)
Reuters (5 December 2013)
The Economist (23 November 2013)
Polish National Radio
Pete Duncan speaks to Adam Dabrowski of PolskieRadio on Russia-West relations in general and Litvinenko. (2 Aug 2014).
Al Jazeera Interview
Andrew Wilson talks to Al Jazeera on the crisis in Ukraine and the Russian intervention in Crimea:
On 25 February 2014, Andrew Wilson visited Downing Street to discuss the crisis in Ukraine.