SSEES Postgraduate Research Resources (MPhil/PhD)
- Research Student Handbook
This information is now on Moodle. Please see the SSEES MPhil/PhD Student Information Moodle Page. If you have trouble accessing the page, please contact the MPhil/PhD Administrator, Anastasia Barsukova (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Academic Regulations
- Training for Research Students
- Lindsey Hughes Postgraduate Bursary
- SSEES Excellence Scholarships
Subject to the availability of funds, a scholarship competition will be announced in the autumn for a number of minor grants.
The number and value will vary according to the funds available, and each grant will not normally exceed £3,000. In some years, no competition will be held.
The primary purpose of this scholarship is to support outstanding research students in the final stages of writing-up the dissertation.
Who is eligible?
- All students who are currently registered in good standing for a PhD degree at SSEES; AND
- Who do not hold a full (fees and maintenance) scholarship from another source and are currently in their third or fourth year of study; OR
- Who hold a fees-only scholarship in any year of study.
What are the criteria of selection?
- A record of academic excellence; and
- Excellence in the doctoral programme to date.
How do you apply?
Submit the following documents to the PhD Administrator, Anastasia Barsukova (email@example.com) by the advertised deadline:
- An application form (Word doc)
- A summary of the research project (500 words) to include a summary of work completed to date and a prospective date of submission
- A letter of support from your supervisor.
- SSEES Postgraduate Research Student Fund
SSEES will review applications to the SSEES Postgraduate Research Fund twice a year in September and February. For the guidance notes and application form see below.
Please note that the SSEES Postgraduate Research Student Fund is not intended to support conference organisation. Students interested in organising conferences should contact Dr Felix Ciuta (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly.
- SSEES students registered for an MPhil/PhD (including on CRS status) who are self-financing or who hold scholarships that do not include an allowance for conferences.
- No more than two awards will be made to each applicant during their programme of study.
- Retrospective applications will not be considered.
- The maximum SSEES contribution per application is £500.
- Please note that funds are limited and it may not be possible to support all eligible applications.
- Encourage graduate research students to present their work at major conferences.
- Contribute to the cost of essential additional training unavailable at UCL.
- Contribute to the cost of language training essential for completion of the MPhil/PhD when this cannot be provided through regular programme provision.
- Applications for review in February need to be sent to the Postgraduate Administrator by 31st January.
- Applications for review in September need to be sent to the Postgraduate Administrator by 31st August.
- If there are any funds remaining after February, additional applications will be accepted and considered on an ad hoc basis.
How to Apply
- Complete the Application Form and send it to the Postgraduate Administrator to arrive by no later than the relevant deadline (see above).
- Give a full breakdown of the estimated expenses and attach quotes for the main costs (registration, travel, accommodation). Please ensure your estimates are based on the most cost effective accommodation and fares. Only essential expenditure can be funded.
- If you are presenting a paper, please include proof of acceptance with your application. If this is still pending at the time of application, you may provide this confirmation at a later date. Any funds awarded in such cases will be conditional upon provision of confirmation of acceptance.
- Information on UCL’s Expenses Policy: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/policies-procedures/expenses-policy.
- When foreign currency is used, costs should be converted into pounds sterling showing the exchange rate used
We aim to review all applications and notify applicants of the outcome via e-mail within 2 weeks of the deadline.
Claiming an Award
- Awards must be claimed within 1 month of incurring the costs or a payment may not be possible. The Expenses Form sent out with confirmations of award must be completed in full and returned to the Postgraduate Administrator, Room 341, Third Floor of SSEES Building.
- Original receipts for each item claimed must be submitted, stapled to the Expenses Form in the order they are listed (it is recommended claimants retain a copy of the form and receipts).
- Items claimed should be the same as those listed on the original application unless special circumstances have arisen in which case the changes must be justified.
- When actual costs are lower than the application estimates, the award will be reduced accordingly.
- Allow approximately one month between submission of a claim and receipt of payment.
SEEES has a limited amount of money each year that can be awarded to help cover additional training requirements and/or the cost of attending conferences for students who are presenting their research.
CEELBAS Russian & Ukrainian Archives Guide
CEELBAS have launched a new guide for those intending to visit archives in Russia and Ukraine for Research purposes. Further details can be accessed via the CEELBAS website