UCL Students Studying Abroad

My son/daughter will be going abroad to study or work as part of their degree. What can they do to prepare? 

Students going abroad as part of an undergraduate degree are required to complete the Study Abroad Pre-departure Preparation Programme, which runs during March and April of the year before departure. This is accompanied by extensive information and resources which can be found on the Study Abroad website.

In addition to this, students should undertake independent research of their destination, including information relating to associated costs, travel, local customs and rules and immigration requirements. 

What is the Erasmus+ grant and how do we apply for it? 

Erasmus+ is an EU programme which supports student mobility throughout Europe. Students who are taking part in an eligible exchange programme will be notified by email of their eligibility for the grant. Generally, this will be students taking part in a study exchange within Europe for more than 3 months. Erasmus grants will be paid in Pounds Sterling (GBP) and may only be paid into a UK bank account.

Students do not need to apply independently for the grant - this is done at an institution level, with grant monies being transferred to students directly by UCL. Students are required to complete a number of documents in order to qualify for the grant, and will be notified by email of the deadlines. Further guidance on the Erasmus+ programme is given on the Study Abroad documents section.

What about insurance? 

All students undertaking an approved placement overseas as part of their undergraduate degree at UCL are covered by the UCL Travel Insurance Policy, provided by AIG. The policy provides comprehensive cover for emergency medical expenses, as well as loss of baggage and other travel-related mishaps. Students are issued with the policy cover note and wording in July, which includes details of how to contact the insurer in case of a claim or when they are in need of emergency assistance. Read further information about our insurance cover

I am concerned about my son/daughter’s welfare abroad. Who can I contact? 

If you are worried about a student you can contact UCL staff who will take your concerns seriously. The University is unable to confirm whether the student actually attends the institution but can tell you what procedure would be followed/action taken in such cases.

Key contacts for students on a year abroad are:

UCL Study Abroad Team

Lucy Gaunt (Study Abroad Coordinator) and Clare Herbert (Study Abroad Officer)

Telephone: 02076790121/7112

Email: studyabroad@ucl.ac.uk

Website: www.ucl.ac.uk/studyabroad

Quick Links

This area contains links to other important information which will be useful for you and your son/daughter.