Student Administration

The Department of Student Administration is responsible for student funding, assessment, student records and portico services.

For further details about specific staff roles and responsibilities within the department, please see our staff listings.


Student Administrations comprises of the following sections. Click the arrows for further details on each section, including specific contact details.

Student Funding

Head: Kevin King

The Student Funding Office administers the main award schemes for prospective and current UCL Students. They also provide support and guidance on money matters for current UCL students.

Key areas include:

  • Co-ordination of UCL-wide scholarship and bursary schemes
  • Administration of US Federal and private loans
  • Providing hardship and needs-based funding
  • Providing advice and guidance on student financial welfare matters
  • Co-ordination of UCL submissions to external agencies such as Hefce and the SLC

Staff also specialise in particular areas of support; e.g. funding based on undergraduate or postgraduate study, schemes based primarily on financial need, and funding from external agencies.

Contact details

Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 0004 (Int: 30004)
Fax: +44 (0)20 7679 2724
For US/Canadian loans email:
Location: Student Centre, Chadwick Building

Office Hours
Monday to Friday, 9am–5pm for telephone and email enquiries
Monday to Friday, 10am–4pm for personal callers

Common enquiries

We can help you with any of the issues listed above. The most common enquiries we receive are:

How can I apply for a UCL scholarship or bursary?

Please refer to our scholarships page.

Is there any additional financial support available for current students?

Please refer to the money section of the current students website.

Where can I get help with my US loans application?

Please refer to our US scholarships page.

Can I speak with someone about my finances and/or application for funding (e.g. debt advice, issues with the SLC/SFE, need for emergency short-term loan)?

Yes, support and confidential advice is available by contacting the Student Funding Office

Assessment and Student Records

Head: Paula Speller

The examinations office is responsible for:

  • Producing the examination timetable for and running the centrally-organised examinations
  • Processing results and awards
  • Producing degree certificates and transcripts
  • Overseeing the appointment of examiners for taught degree programmes
  • Being responsible for the procedure for dealing with examination irregularities

Student Records manage the enrolment of students, updates to student records and provide related regulatory advice to staff and students.

Key areas include:

  • Being responsible for student enrolment and re-enrolment
  • Processing record amendments such as interruptions, withdrawals and degree transfers
  • Providing advice on related regulatory issues to students and staff
Examinations contact details

Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 4126 (Int : 34126)
Location: Student Centre, Chadwick Building

Student Records contact details

Tel: +44 (0)20 3108 8292 (Int: 58292)
Location: Student Centre, Chadwick Building

Common examination enquiries

We can help you with any of the issues listed above. The most common enquiries we receive are:

How can I obtain a transcript?

Please refer to our transcripts page on the current student website.

How do I defer or withdraw from examinations?

Please refer to the exams and awards page on the current student website.

How can I find my examination venue?

Please refer to the exams and awards page and follow the links to Examination Venues and Key to Location Codes.

What can I take into an examination venue?

Please refer to our Examination Guide for Candidates which can be found on the exams and awards page of the current student website.

Common student records enquiries

We can help you with any of the issues listed above. The most common enquiries we receive are:

How do I amend my student record? 

For further information on your student records, including how to make amendments, please visit the student records page on the current student website.

As a research degree student, what do I have to do to submit my thesis?

Please refer to our guidelines on research degree exam entry.

Where do I go if I am a student and have an enquiry?

Please go to the Student Centre on the Ground Floor of the Chadwick Building

Portico Services

Head of Student Systems: Mark Hodgson

The Portico Services Office provides direction and support for Portico Services (UCL’s Student Information System) and the Common Timetable.

The key activities are:

  • development, support, and setting the direction of Portico, the UCL student information system - current functionality in Portico includes admissions (for both UCAS and direct online applicants), online enrolment, module registration, maintenance of student records, assessments and awards, and graduation ceremonies
  • supporting the Common Timetable process through Serco software CMIS
  • providing helpdesk support for Portico and CMIS
  • assisting with end user training on Portico and CMIS
Contact details

Tel: +44(0)207 679 0637
Website: Visit the Portico website
Location: Floor 9, 1-19 Torrington Place

Contact details

Please use the individual team contact details above for telephone and email enquiries.

Student Administration
Student and Registry Services
University College London
Gower Street

Page Editors: David Ashton (