Student and Registry Services
- About SRS
- Our services
- Governance and committees
- Programme and module admin
- Exams and student assessment
- Student statistics
- Resources for staff
- Resources for students
- Academic Manual
- Parents and Guardians
- SRS Student Enquiry Form
- IoE Merger Information
Other SRS websites
SRS websites for students
Research Governance Committee
Constitution and Membership for 2016-17
Where the name of a committee member is italicised, this indicates that that member is serving on the Committee as a deputy or nominee of another member.
Number in brackets to the right-hand side of a committee member’s name indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2015-16 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio and student members, or for Observers.
|Vice-Provost (Research) (Chair)||Professor David Price|
|Vice-Provost (Enterprise and London) (or nominee)||Ms Mariana Trejo|
|Vice-Provost (Health) (or nominee)||Professor Nick Wood|
Ms Wendy Appleby
|Director of Human Resources||Mr Nigel Waugh|
|Director of Research Evaluation||Mr Andrew Cooper|
|Director of Research Support, Joint Research Office||Dr Nick McNally|
|Chair, Clinical Research Governance Committee||Professor Janet Darbyshire CBE|
|Cultures of Integrity Co-ordinator||Ms Rowena Lamb|
Head of Information Security
Ms Bridget Kenyon
|Research Ethics Co-ordinator||Ms Helen Dougal|
UCLU Postgraduate Students' Officer
Mr Mark Crawford
|Eight academic staff, nominated by the Vice-Provost (Research), two from each of the four UCL schools:|
Arts and Humanities, Laws, Social and Historical Sciences, School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SLASH)
Professor Peter John (-)
Professor Cheryl Thomas (4) (Vice-Chair)
Built Environment, Engineering Sciences, Mathematical and Physical Sciences (BEAMS)
Professor Brian Balmer (6)
|UCL Institute of Education||
Professor Alison Fuller (2)
Dr Lynn Ang (2)
|Life and Medical Sciences (SLMS)||
Professor Raymond MacAllister (7)
Professor David Shanks (2)
|Secretary||Ms Rachel Port|
Terms of Reference
Subject to any general or particular direction that may from time to time be given by the Academic Committee, the Research Governance Committee is charged by Council:
1. To oversee and co-ordinate the operation of research governance processes at UCL, according to the principles set out in the UCL research ethics framework, and to approve, subject to appropriate consultation, research governance policies and procedures.
2. To monitor developments in the area of research governance within the UK higher education research community and to determine, subject to appropriate consultation, mechanisms to ensure that the relevant UCL policies and procedures are reviewed and revised as necessary to take account of such developments.
3. To ensure that UCL’s research governance policies and procedures are effectively communicated to the academic research community of UCL.
4. To receive reports and/or minutes from UCL committees and joint UCL/NHS committees which are responsible for monitoring the operation of particular policies and/or procedures which form part of the UCL research ethics framework.
5. To refer to the Ethics Committee any research ethics-related matters which may have wider implications for institutional-level ethical policies or processes or which RGC considers should be brought to the attention of the Ethics Committee.
6. To receive an annual report from the Registrar on the operation of UCL’s procedure for investigating and resolving allegations of misconduct in academic research.
7. To report to the Academic Committee by submission to the Academic Committee officers of the Minutes of each meeting of the Research Governance Committee.
Meeting Dates 2016-17
Monday 19 December 2016, 1.15pm
- Wednesday 15 March 2017, 1.00pm
Wednesday 7 June 2017, 2.30pm