Student and Registry Services
- About SRS
- Our services
- Governance and committees
- Academic regulations and guidance
- Programme and module admin
- Exams and student assessment
- Student statistics
- Resources for staff
- Resources for students
- Academic Manual
- Parents and Guardians
- SRS Student Enquiry Form
- IoE Merger Information
Other SRS websites
SRS websites for students
Research Degrees Committee
Constitution and Membership for 2014-15
Number in brackets to the right-hand side of a committee member's name indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2013-14 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio and student members, or for observers.
|Pro-Provost (Doctoral School)||
Professor David Bogle
|Director of CALT||Dr Dilly Fung|
Director of Student Administration
Mr David Ashton
|Registrar||Ms Wendy Appleby|
Student Records Manager
Ms Helen Notter
|Senior Executive Officer (Doctoral School)||Ms Ben Colvill|
UCLU Postgraduate Students' Officer
Ms Mariana Ceccotti
|UCL Student Mediator||Dr Ruth Siddall|
|Faculty Graduate Tutors:|
Arts and Humanities
||Dr Joy Sleeman|
Dr Steven Bloch
|Built Environment||Dr Stephen Marshall|
|UCL Institute of Education||Professor Andrew Tolmie|
Mr Marco Federighi
||Dr Virginia Mantouvalou|
|Life Sciences||Professor Kaila Srai|
Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Dr Caroline Essex
|Medical Sciences||Dr Dave Spratt|
|Population Health Sciences||Dr Andrew Stoker|
Social and Historical Sciences
Dr Benet Salway
One Vice Head of the Doctoral School, nominated by the Pro-Provost (Doctoral School)
- Professor Alison Diduck (-)
One research graduate student, nominated by the UCL Union
- To be notified
One representative of the organisations with which UCL has educational partnerships or collaborations, nominated by the Vice-Provost (Research)
- Dr Donna Brown (4)
Three academic staff - including at least one professor and one non-professor - elected by and from among the professorial and non-professorial academic staff members of Academic Board
- Professor Nikos Konstantinidis (-)
- Dr Blandie Poulet (-)
- Professor Ijeoma Uchegbu (2)
Mr Gary Hawes
Terms of Reference
Subject to any general or particular direction that may from time to time be given by the Academic Committee, the Research Degrees Committee is charged by Council:
- To define, monitor and review UCL strategy, policy and procedure in respect of UCL postgraduate-research students, relating to: (i) student registration; (ii) student attendance and completion of courses and examinations, including suspension of regulations; (iii) the operation of UCL's student grievance procedures for research degree students; (iv) examination misconduct by research students; and (v) all aspects of the research student experience.
- To approve UCL regulations relating to research degrees and amendments thereto.
- On behalf of Academic Committee, to define, monitor and review UCL strategy, policy and procedure in respect of all matters relating to the supervision and assessment of research degree students, including: (i) comparability of the research student experience across UCL; (ii) approval and appointment of research student supervisors; (iii) provision and comparability of research student supervision, support and training across UCL; (iv) monitoring the progress of research students; (v) development and implementation of processes for the assessment of research students; (vi) appointment of examiners; and (vii) procedures for the distribution of, and action on, examiners reports on research degree students.
- To receive and consider from examiners proposals for the award of research degrees of UCL and of the University of London.
- To submit for approval by the Academic Committee recommendations for the award and revocation of research degrees of UCL and of the University of London.
- To receive an annual report on the proceedings of meetings of Faculty committees that are responsible for overseeing PGR student provision, during the preceding 12 months.
- To refer to the Academic Committee such matters as the Research Degrees Committee deems entail academic standards, quality assurance or student experience implications which require the attention of Academic Committee.
- To report to the Academic Committee by (i) the submission of an annual report on the work of the Research Degrees Committee in the preceding 12 months, and (ii) the submission to the Academic Committee officers of the Minutes of each meeting of the Research Degrees Committee.
Meeting Dates 2014-15
- Wednesday 15 October 2014, 10am
- Wednesday 11 March 2015, 10am
- Wednesday 17 June 2015, 10am