Student and Registry Services
- About SRS
- Our services
- Governance and committees
- Academic regulations and guidance
- Programme and module admin
- Exams and student assessment
- Student statistics
- Resources for staff
- Resources for students
- Academic Manual
- Parents and Guardians
- SRS Student Enquiry Form
- IoE Merger Information
- Redirect to first page
Other SRS websites
SRS websites for students
Health and Safety Committee
Constitution and Membership for 2015-16
Number in brackets to the right-hand side of a committee member's name indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2014-15 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio and student members, or for observers.
|Vice-Provost (Operations) (Convenor1)||Mr Rex Knight|
|Director of UCL Estates||Mr Andrew Grainger|
|Director of Human Resources||Mr Nigel Waugh|
|Head of Safety||Mr Paul Stirk|
|Deputy Head of Safety||Ms Jillian Deans|
|Head of Occupational Health Services||
Mr Max Hill
Members of staff of the following academic units of UCL, appointed by the Committee on the recommendation of the Provost's Senior Management Team:
Mr Brian Kavanagh (-)
Mr Peter Kelly (4)
|UCL SLASH (School of Arts and Humanities, Laws, Social and Historical Sciences, Slavonic and Eastern European Studies)||Ms Cathy Brown (-)|
|London Centre for Nanotechnology||
Dr Paul Cassell (-)
Mrs Sonia Buckingham (4)
|Institute for Child Health||
Ms Lesley Alterman (4)
|Infection and Immunity||
Mr Doug King (4)
|Division of Biosciences||
Mr Richard Marguerie (4)
Two Safety Representatives from the UCU, nominated by that Trade Union
- Ms Sue Chick (4)
- Ms Jenny Head (4)
Two Safety Representatives from Unison, nominated by that Trade Union
- Mr Steve Margiotta (-)
- Mr Munya Marisa (2)
Two Safety Representatives from Unite, nominated by that Trade Union
- Mr Mike Cresswell (4)
- Mr David Ladd (4)
Three Observers, one from each of UCL's three trade unions
- Dr Alun Coker (UCU)
- Mrs Elizabeth Sutton-Klein (Unison)
- One vacancy
Two student Observers, nominated by UCLU
- Mr Mohammad Ali Momtaz
- Mr Tom Robinson
Mr Jonathan Blackman
1 The Chair of the Health and Safety Committee is designated 'Convenor'.
Terms of Reference
The Health and Safety Committee (HSC) has been established under the delegated authority of the President and Provost with the purpose of developing and managing UCL’s safety policy and strategy. It is the focal point for health, safety, and fire safety compliance. It aims to support managers and ensure that there is a co-ordinated approach across Departments. The HSC is constituted in accordance with the Safety Representatives and Safety Committees Regulations (1977) as amended by the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations (1992) and the Health and Safety (Consultation with Employees) Regulations (1996).
Subject to any general or particular direction that may from time to time be given by the Council, the Health and Safety Committee is charged by Council:
- To maintain an overall assessment of the key UCL health and safety risks from which priorities for action are set and reviewed annually.
- To set objectives, standards and targets to improve health and safety management.
- To approve policy, standards and strategy for the management of health and safety at work within UCL and compliance with health and safety legislative and other requirements.
- To establish specific safety sub-committees and working groups as appropriate.
- To provide a forum for consultation and discussion between UCL Management and representatives from the Trades Unions on health and safety matters.
- To receive items of significance from, and the Minutes of, such specialist committees or other groups with responsibility for health and safety-related matters as HSC may set up and/or which operate under the aegis of the HSC.
- To consider reports and factual information provided by inspectors of the enforcing authorities appointed under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
- To consider reports that trade union safety representatives may wish to submit.
- To monitor progress against objectives, targets, plans and remedial actions, and determine actions necessary to address areas of non-compliance where there is significant risk.
- To monitor and review the adequacy and implementation of UCL arrangements, including training and safety and health communication and publicity within UCL.
- To review safety performance indicators, investigations of significant failures, independent inspection and audit reports and associated remedial actions.
- To submit an annual report to Council, summarising the Committee's work in terms of safety and occupational health.
- To report to Council by submission to the Council officers of Minutes of each meeting of the Health and Safety Committee.
Meeting Dates 2015-16
Tuesday 13 October 2015, 2.00pm
Tuesday 26 January 2016, 2.00pm
Wednesday 27 April 2016, 2.00pm
Tuesday 19 July 2016, 2.00pm