Student and Registry Services
- About SRS
- Our services
- Governance and committees
- Programme and module admin
- Exams and student assessment
- Student statistics
- Resources for staff
- Resources for students
- Academic Manual
- Parents and Guardians
- SRS Student Enquiry Form
- IoE Merger Information
Other SRS websites
SRS websites for students
Constitution and Membership for 2015-16
Where the name of a committee member appears in square brackets, this indicates that member’s second or subsequent appearance in the committee’s membership.
Number in brackets to the right-hand side of a committee member’s name indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2014-15 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio and student members, or for observers.
|Vice-Provost (Education and Student Affairs) (Chair)||Professor Anthony Smith|
Chair, Academic Regulations and Quality Assurance Sub-Committee
Professor Norbert Pachler
Chair, Quality Review Sub-Committee
||Professor Tim McHugh|
|Director of Academic Services||Mr Derfel Owen|
Director of Education Planning
Ms Clare Goudy
|Director of Student Administration||Mr David Ashton|
|Registrar||Ms Wendy Appleby|
|UCLU Education & Campaigns Officer||
Ms Wahida Samie
|UCLU Welfare & International Officer||
Mr Tom Robinson
|UCLU Postgraduate Students' Officer||
Ms Suguna Nair
|Arts and Humanities||Dr Arne Hofmann|
|Brain Sciences||Dr Julie Evans|
|Built Environment||Ms Susan Ware|
|UCL Institute of Education||Professor Don Pennington|
|Engineering Sciences||Dr Simon Banks|
|Laws||Ms Olga Thomas|
|Life Sciences||Dr Hazel Smith|
|Mathematical and Physical Sciences||Dr Caroline Essex|
Dr Brenda Cross
|Population Health Sciences||Dr Mike Rowson|
|Social and Historical Sciences||[Dr Arne Hofmann]|
One member of staff of the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT), nominated by the Director of CALT
- Dr Dilly Fung (1)
One member of staff of the Finance and Business Affairs Division, nominated by the Director of Finance and Business Affairs
- To be notified
One member of staff of the Information Services Division, nominated by the Director of Information Services
- Dr Fiona Strawbridge (5)
One member of staff of Library Services, nominated by the Director of Library Services
- Ms June Hedges (5)
One taught graduate student, nominated by the UCLU
- Mr Abdulrahman Alahmari
One undergraduate student, nominated by the UCLU
- Ms Andrea Nahum
Three academic staff - including at least one professor and one non-professor - elected by and from among the professorial and non-professorial academic staff members of Academic Board
- Dr John Mitchell (5)
- Professor Derek Tocher (3)
- Dr Helen Matthews (4)
Ms Lizzie Vinton
Terms of Reference
Subject to any general or particular direction that may from time to time be given by the Academic Committee, the Education Committee is charged by Council:
1. On behalf of Academic Committee, to define, monitor and review UCL strategy, policy and procedure in respect of UCL's taught students (including undergraduate and postgraduate-taught students) relating to:
i. student registration;
ii. student attendance at, and completion of, programmes and examinations;
iii. UCL’s Academic Regulations governing taught programmes;
iv. The annual and periodic review of the academic standards and the quality of the student experience on taught programmes;
v. the operation of UCL's student complaints procedures for taught students and monitoring thereof by consideration of an annual report thereon;
vi. all aspects of the taught student experience.
2. On behalf of Council and Academic Committee, to monitor and review the implementation of UCL’s Education Strategy.
3. To approve new taught programmes and their subsequent amendment and withdrawal.
4. To define, monitor and review UCL Academic Regulations governing the approval and review of programmes of study and their constituent modules.
5. To maintain oversight of the UCL Programme and Module Approval, Amendment and Withdrawal Procedures and to receive reports on proposals for new programmes and the amendment and/or withdrawal of existing programmes.
6. To consider reports of the Quality Review Sub-Committee on the maintenance of standards and the quality of the student experience at UCL.
7. To maintain oversight of UCL’s Academic Partnerships that involve UCL credit and qualifications.
8. To receive an annual report on the proceedings of Faculty Teaching Committees/equivalent bodies within Faculties, during the preceding 12 months.
9. To submit for approval by the Academic Committee recommendations for the award and revocation of taught degrees of UCL and of the University of London.
10. To refer to the Academic Committee such matters as the Education Committee deems to entail academic standards, quality assurance, or student experience implications which require the attention of Academic Committee.
11. To report to the Academic Committee by (i) the submission of an annual report on the work of the Education Committee in the preceding 12 months, and (ii) the submission to the Academic Committee officers of the Minutes of each meeting of the Education Committee.
12. To consider any matters referred to or delegated to it by Academic Committee and to express opinions on such references or such other matters as seem relevant to it.
Meeting Dates 2015-16
- Tuesday 6 October 2015, 2.00pm
- Tuesday 1 December 2015, 2.00pm
- Tuesday 1 March 2016, 2.00pm
- Tuesday 26 April 2016, 2.00pm
- Tuesday 7 June 2016, 2.00pm