Student and Registry Services
- About SRS
- Our services
- Governance and committees
- Academic regulations and guidance
- Programme and module admin
- Exams and student assessment
- Student statistics
- Resources for staff
- Resources for students
- Academic Manual
Other SRS websites
SRS websites for students
Constitution and Membership for 2014-15
Where the name of a committee member is italicised, this indicates that that member is serving on the Committee as a deputy or nominee of another member.
Where the name of a committee member appears in square brackets, this indicates that member’s second or subsequent appearance in the committee’s membership.
Number in brackets to the right-hand side of a committee member’s name indicates length of continuous service in years, up to and including the 2013-14 session. Length of service is not indicated for ex officio and student members, or for observers.
|President and Provost (Chair)||
Professor Michael Arthur
|Vice-Provost (Education)||Professor Anthony Smith|
|Vice-Provost (Enterprise)||Professor Stephen Caddick|
|Vice-Provost (International)||Dame Nicola Brewer|
|Vice-Provost (Research)||Professor David Price|
|Deans of Faculties (or nominees):|
|Arts and Humanities||Professor Jonathan Wolff|
|Brain Sciences||Professor Alan Thompson|
|Built Environment||Professor Alan Penn|
|Engineering Sciences||Professor Anthony Finkelstein|
|Laws||Professor Dame Hazel Genn|
|Life Sciences||Professor Geraint Rees|
|Mathematical and Physical Sciences||Professor Richard Catlow|
|Medical Sciences||Professor Raymond MacAllister|
|Population Health Sciences||Professor Graham Hart|
|Social and Historical Sciences||
Professor Mary Fulbrook
Director of the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT)
||Dr Dilly Fung|
|Director, UCL Centre for Languages & International Education (CLIE)||Dr Christine Hoffmann|
|Director of Library Services||Dr Paul Ayris|
|Director, UCL Museums, Collections and Public Engagement||
Dr Leonie Hannan
Director of Student Administration
||Mr David Ashton|
|Pro-Provost (Doctoral School)||Professor David Bogle|
|Registrar||Ms Wendy Appleby|
|Arts and Humanities||Dr Arne Hofmann|
|Brain Sciences||Dr Julie Evans|
|Built Environment||Ms Susan Ware|
|Engineering Sciences||Mr Marco Federighi|
|Laws||Ms Olga Thomas|
|Life Sciences||Dr Hazel Smith|
|Mathematical and Physical Sciences||Dr Caroline Essex|
Dr Brenda Cross
Dr Peter Raven
|Population Health Sciences||
Dr Christine Kinnon
|Social and Historical Sciences||[Dr Arne Hofmann]|
UCLU Education & Campaigns Officer
Mr Lukmaan Kolia
|UCLU Medical, Pharmacy & Health Students’ Officer||Ms Harkiran Dhanjal|
UCLU Postgraduate Students' Officer
Ms Mariana Ceccotti
|Chair, Education Committee||Professor Anthony Smith|
|Chair, Quality Management and Enhancement Committee||tbc|
|Chair, Joint Staff Student Committee||Dr Ruth Siddall|
|Chair, Research Degrees Committee||[Professor David Bogle]|
Two representatives of organisations with which UCL has educational partnerships or collaborations, nominated by the Vice-Provost (Education):
- Ms Geraldine Davies (UCL Academy) (2)
- Ms Sheila Nuttall (City and Islington College) (-)
Three academic staff - including at least one professor and one non-professor - elected by and from among the professorial and non-professorial academic staff members of Academic Board:
- Professor Robert Brown (4)
- Professor Michael Pitt (-)
- Vacancy (for a non-professorial academic staff member of Academic Board)
- Ms Helen Matthews (3)
|Secretary||Mr Derfel Owen|
Terms of Reference
Subject to any general or particular direction that may from time to time be given by the Council, the Academic Committee is charged by Council:
- To consider and advise the Council, through powers delegated by the Academic Board, upon all academic matters and questions affecting the educational policy of UCL, the organisation of teaching, examining, research and courses of instruction, including the following: (i) matters concerning academic co-operation between UCL and any other body; (ii) appointments to established Chairs and Readerships tenable at UCL; (iii) the award or revocation of degrees of UCL and of the University of London.
- To maintain an overview of UCL's academic strategies, policies and procedures pertaining to the following: (i) research; (ii) teaching and learning; (iii) definition and maintenance of academic standards; (iv) examinations and assessment; (v) innovations in educational practice; (vi) programme development and review; (vii) student behaviour and discipline; (viii) student experience; (ix) academic staff development; (x) quality management and enhancement.
- In discharging the foregoing responsibilities, to: (i) set up working groups etc to assist the Academic Committee; (ii) prescribe their terms of reference and constitution; (iii) maintain an overview of all matters falling within their purview.
- To maintain an overview of the work of the following standing committees which report to Academic Committee, by receipt of an annual report on the work of the committee in the preceding 12 months and by such other arrangements as Academic Committee may define in particular cases: (i) Education Committee; (ii) International Strategy Board; (iii) Joint Staff Student Committee; (iv) Library Committee; (v) Quality Management and Enhancement Committee; (vi) Research Degrees Committee; (vii) Research Governance Committee; (viii) Scholarships and Student Funding Committee.
- To receive an annual report from the Vice-Provost (Research) on the development and implementation of UCL's research strategy and from such other UCL officers as may be determined by the Committee.
- To receive an annual report on the proceedings of Faculty Teaching Committees/equivalent bodies within Faculties, during the preceding 12 months.
- To receive the Minutes of all meetings of: (i) standing committees and working groups etc reporting to Academic Committee; (ii) Faculty Teaching Committees and/or equivalent bodies within Faculties.
- To report to Academic Board and Council by submission to the Academic Board officers and Council officers of the Minutes of each meeting of Academic Committee.
Meeting dates 2014-15
- Thursday 16 October 2014, 9am
- Thursday 18 December 2014, 9am
- Thursday 12 March 2015, 9am
- Thursday 7 May 2015, 9am
Friday 3 July 2014, 9am