Dr Sarah Wolff
Teaching Fellow in EU Politics
- Name: Dr Sarah Wolff
- Position: Teaching Fellow in EU Politics
- Room: 1.04
- Fax: 020 7679 4969
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Sarah Wolff holds a PhD in International Relations from the LSE (The Mediterranean dimension of EU’s internal Security), an MSc in European Politics and Governance from the LSE and a BA from Science Po Grenoble in public administration.
Dr. Wolff is currently Senior Research Associate Fellow within the European Programme of the Netherlands Institute for International Relations and Visiting Lecturer in the MSc in Migration management of the Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona.
Prior to joining UCL, Dr. Wolff worked as a Research Fellow at the Netherlands Institute for International Relations (Clingendael 2009-2011). She was an international aid officer in the Directorate for Latin America of EuropeAid (European Commission 2007-2009). Sarah also worked as an assistant for a Member of the European Parliament (2005-2006).
Dr. Wolff was a fellow of the European Foreign and Security Policy Studies Program. During her PhD she was a visiting fellow at the Observatory of European Foreign Policy (UAB-Barcelona), the CEDEJ (Cairo) and the IFOP (Amman).
Dr. Wolff is an expert on the EU’s external relations, in particular with the Arab world and Justice and Home Affairs (internal and external dimensions). Her research focuses on the insertion of Justice and Home Affairs considerations in the EU’s security practices with its Mediterranean neighbours. She has conducted extensive fieldwork in Morocco, Egypt and Jordan. She follows closely EU migration and border practices with North African countries. Rule of law promotion, border management (Frontex), the external relations of EU agencies, the Arab revolts and transatlantic homeland security are some of the recent and current projects she is working on.
- Wolff, S. (2012) The Mediterranean Dimension of the European Union's Internal Security. New York, London: Palgrave, Palgrave Studies in European Union Politics.
- Wolff, S., Goudappel, F. and J. de Zwaan (2011). Freedom, Security and Justice after Lisbon and Stockholm. TMC Asser Press.
- Wolff, S., Wichmann N., Mounier, G. (2009). The External Dimension of Justice and Home Affairs A Different Security Agenda for the European Union? Routledge, 2009, 176p
Articles and Book Reviews in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Wolff, S. and G. Mounier. (2012) ‘A Kaleidoscopic view on the External Dimension of Justice and Home Affairs after Lisbon’. European Foreign Affairs Review Vol. 17 (5) (forthcoming Special issue on the External Dimension of JHA edited by H. Carrapiço and F. Trauner).
- Wolff, S. (2011). Book Review ‘Cornelius Adebahr, Learning and Change in European Foreign Policy. The Case of EU Special Representatives’ (Nomos Publishers, 2009), European Foreign Affairs Review, 16(1).
- Wolff, S. (2009) ‘Constraints on the promotion of the rule of law in Egypt: insights from the 2005 judges' revolt’. Democratization,16( 1) February 2009, pp 100 – 118.
- Wolff, S., Wichmann N., Mounier G. (2009) ‘The External Dimension of Justice and Home Affairs: A Different Security Agenda for the EU?’ Journal of European Integration, 31(1), 9–23, March 2009
- Wolff, S. (2009). ‘The Mediterranean Dimension of EU Counter-terrorism’ Journal of European Integration, 31(1), 137–156, March 2009
- Wolff, S.(2008) ‘Border management in the Mediterranean: internal, external and ethical challenges’ in Cambridge Review of International Affairs, 21( 2), June 2008, 253-271
- Wolff, S. (2008) Book Review of ‘European Foreign Policy in an Evolving International System: The Road towards Convergence’ Nicola Casarini & Costanza Musu (Eds). Mediterranean Politics,13(1), 125-127
- Wolff, S. (2008). ‘Externalising the EU's Internal Security Model to Mediterranean Neighbours’ Fornet CFSP Forum volume 6, issue 1, January 2008
- Wolff, S. and Pace, M.(2007) 'Workshop: Europe's Legacy? From Colonialism to Democracy Promotion: The Case of the Mediterranean', Mediterranean Politics,12(3),431-4
- Wolff, S. (2007). ‘España y la gobernanza de la seguridad mediterránea: vecinos, espacios y actores’ Revista CIDOB d'Afers Internacionals Núm. 79-80. La política árabe y mediterránea de España, p. 107-123, december 2007
- Wolff, S. (2007) ‘Europe's Legacy? From colonialism to democracy promotion. The case of the Mediterranean’. In: Fornet CFSP Forum, 5(3), May 2007.
- Wolff, S. (2007) ‘La dimension méditerranéenne de la politique Justice et Affaires intérieures’, Cultures &Conflits n°66 (summer 2007), pp.77-99.
- Wolff S. (2006). ‘Book Review: Zielonka, J. Europe as Empire: the nature of the enlarged European Union’. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 293p, Graduate Journal of Social Science, 3(2). (http://www.gjss.nl).
- Wolff S. and G. Mounier (2005) ‘France: The Come Back of Political Parties’. European Constitutional Law Review, 1(3) October 2005, pp. 383-392
- Wolff, S. (2012). The new EU's internal security architecture: implementation challenges. In: Larsen, F. (ed). The EU's Lisbon Treaty Institutional Choices and Implementation. Ashgate.
- Wolff, S. and A. Schout (2012). The 'paradox of Lisbon': supranationalism-intergovernmentalism as an administrative concept. In: Larsen, F. (ed). The EU's Lisbon Treaty Institutional Choices and Implementation. Ashgate.
- Wolff, S. and F. Trauner (2011). ‘A European migration policy fit for future challenges’. In: Wolff, S., Goudappel, F. and J. de Zwaan (forthcoming June 2011). Freedom, Security and Justice after Lisbon and Stockholm. TMC Asser Press.
- Wolff, S. and R. Zapata-Barrero (2011). ‘Border Management: impacting on the construction of the EU as a polity?’. In: Wolff, S., Goudappel, F. and J. de Zwaan (forthcoming June 2011). Freedom, Security and Justice after Lisbon and Stockholm. TMC Asser Press.
- Wolff, S. and G. Mounier (2011). ‘The external dimension of JHA: a new Dimension of EU diplomacy’. In: Wolff, S., Goudappel, F. and J. de Zwaan (forthcoming June 2011). Freedom, Security and Justice after Lisbon and Stockholm. TMC Asser Press.
- Wolff, S. (2009). ‘Constraints on the promotion of the rule of law in Egypt: insights from the 2005 judges' revolt’ In: Pace, M. and P. Seeberg (ed.) The European Union's Democratization Agenda in the Mediterranean. Routledge, 2009, 240p.
- Wolff, S. (2009) ‘The Mediterranean Dimension of EU’s Internal Security’ In: The External Dimension of EU Justice and Home Affairs. Governance, Neighbours, Security. Balzacq T. (ed) Palgrave MacMillan: Palgrave Studies in European Union Politics, 296p.
Think tank, consultancy and policy papers
- Wolff, S. (2011). ‘The Arab revolts: reconsidering EU-US strategies for freedom, security and justice’. In: Pawlack, P. (ed.) The EU-US security and justice agenda in action EUISS Chaillot Paper No 127, December 2011.
- Wolff, S. ‘Crossing borders after Stockholm’, Migrainfo Bulletin nr. 36, Barcelona Provincial Council, March 2011.
- Wolff, S. and T. van de Ven (2011). ‘Building Mutual Trust for a European Rule of Law’. Clingendael CESP Paper, April 2011.
- Wolff, S. with Ko Colijn, Bertus Hendriks, Floor Janssen, Susanne Kamerling, Roel Meijer, Alfred Pijpers, Willem Post (2011).‘De hernieuwde Arabische lente: tussen revolte en revolutie’, Clingendael CSCP Policy Brief , Den Haag, Instituut Clingendael, 17 February 2011.
- Wolff, S. and A. Mijs (2010). ‘The EU as a global player: Financing EU's ambitions for 2014-2020’. Clingendael CESP Paper, December 2010.
- Wolff, S. (2010).‘EU border Policies beyond Lisbon’ in: R. Zapata-Barrero (Ed.) Shaping the normative contours of the European Union: a Migration-Border framework. Barcelona, CIDOB, September 2010, pp. 23-36.
- Wolff, S. and J. Sesters (2010). ‘European Development Cooperation. Brokering environmental knowledge beyond Lisbon’ Maastricht/The Hague, ECDPM and Clingendael Institute, September 2010.
- Wolff, S., van den Berge, Mirte (2009). ‘Ensuring rights for all in Europe: Challenges for the Council of Europe and the European Union. Summary and Policy Recommendations’. Paper Clingendael Institute, The Hague, November 2009.
- Wolff, S. (2009) ‘Ensuring rights for all in Europe: challenges for the Council of Europe and the European Union’, Paper Clingendael Institute, The Hague, November 2009.
- Wolff, S. (2009) ‘From The Hague to Stockholm: the Future of EU's Internal Security Architecture and Police Cooperation’. Paper Clingendael Institute, The Hague, September 2009.
- Wolff, S., Mc Callum F., Macias, J.A., Rodriguez L., Soler i Lecha E (2006). ‘Problems and perspectives of the new generation of researchers on the Arab World and Mediterranean in Spain and the United Kingdom’ In: Researching the Mediterranean, British Council, Instituto Europeo del Mediterraneo y Fundación CIDOB VV.AA., October 2006.